UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win
December 21st, 2010

UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win

You can argue whether streaks from teams nearly 40 years and a gender apart should be compared. What's not in dispute is that the University of Connecticut women now have the longest winning streak in NCAA Division I basketball history.

UConn won its 89th consecutive game Tuesday, beating Florida State 93-62 in Hartford's XL Center and surpassing the men’s Division I streak of 88 set by coach John Wooden's UCLA teams from 1971 to 1974.

Senior forward Maya Moore scored 41 points - 26 of them in the first half - for the top-ranked Huskies (11-0).

After the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN that it wouldn't be fair to compare the Huskies' and UCLA's streaks.

"I don't want to compare anything to anything, and I don't want my team to compare themselves to anybody else. This stands on its own," Auriemma said. "What John Wooden and UCLA did will never, ever be repeated, and that's not what we set out to do.

"I'm not John Wooden, and this isn’t UCLA. This is Connecticut, and for us, that’s good enough."

The Huskies' historic streak started with the first game of the 2008-09 season, with UConn having lost to Stanford in the previous season's Final Four.

The streak came years after UConn already had established itself as a top women's program. Of the 10 longest winning streaks in Division I women's basketball, the Huskies hold four, including the previous longest (70, from 2001 to 2003).

SI.com: The most revered streaks in sports

Earlier this week, after UConn tied UCLA's Division I record with a victory Sunday over Ohio State, Auriemma took issue with the media's motives for paying attention to his team, saying there wouldn't be as many people covering the club if it were chasing a women's record, and that people were "up in arms about" the possibility that women could break a men's record.

After Tuesday's game, Auriemma saluted his senior and junior stars for playing throughout the streak.

"Mostly what I'm going to remember about tonight is that - forget about all the other stuff you may have heard or whatever else has been going on - tonight really more than anything for me was about Maya Moore and Tiffany Hayes and the fact that they've been through all 89 of these."

This season, only Baylor has finished a game within single digits of the two-time defending national champions (UConn beat Baylor 65-64 on November 16).

SI.com's Richard Deitsch says Maya "the face of The Streak" delivered a "signature performance" as usual.

"The ethereal 6-foot senior forward finished with a career-high 41 points on 15 of 24 shooting from the field," Deitsch wrote. "If Moore leads UConn (11-0) to a third consecutive championship this April in Indianapolis, there will be no argument that she'll go down as the greatest player in women's college basketball history."

Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • Connecticut • Sports
  1. Mr Hoo-ha

I kinda wish I cared more. Maybe I'll rent Juwanna Man on Netflix and see if that helps...

December 22, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. tomcat

@squirt I hope you feel better by saying I am gay. When you learn to spell and leave the pull ups behind maybe we can have a grown up talk. Till then, keep spewing your pablum as if there is someone who cares what you say. Happy Holidays.

December 22, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • squirting organ

I'm not sure what spewing pablum is, but i'm pretty sure your talking dirty to me and i dont appreciate it. One more time fella..

December 22, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Truth-Hoarder

YAAAAWN!!! Come on CNN, you can do better than this. Hows bout some putt-putt scores, or maybe a feature on my 10 year old son's crappy soccer team.

December 22, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Moon

Women who participte in sports in school do much better in life in every measurable category, self-esteem, income, family values, on and on. That being said, bring back the actual guys, Walton, Wilkes, all the rest, tomorrow, go at it, my money is still on the guys, 50-somethings. Basketball is a magnificent sport, used to play every day. Women's basketball is a much differernt sport. College teams cannot fill a high-school gym, best college women's team in the state cannot beat the best 8'th -grade borys team in the city, and on and on. The Wizard of Westwood need not concern himself with politics of this sort, his amazing record is still secure....

December 22, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Basketball Fan

Now go wash those uniforms and iron them!

December 22, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joshua C

Seeing all of these degrading comments toward the UConn womens accomplishment makes me sick. I'm a man and I am proud of the UConn womens basketball team breaking the record. It doesn't matter if it was men or women breaking the record. The record was broken. No need to make stupid comments. Congratulations goes out to the Lady Huskies for this amazing accomplishment.

December 22, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. Men everywhere

Now if only anyone cared about women's basketball.

December 22, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Basketball Fan

Why do women use smaller, lighter basketballs?????

December 22, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. meh

zzzz, zzzz, zzzz, zzzz

December 22, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bear

This is like comparing the minor leagues with the major leagues. Div1 womens is not comparable to div1 mens.

December 22, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Basketball Fan

Is women's 3-point line the same distance as men's basketball?

December 22, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. DolphT

Let's not lose contact with the mother ship here - this team couldn't beat a good high school boys' team. Comparing them to the great UCLA mens' teams is absurd.

December 22, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mitchell

haha women

December 22, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Yes I. Would

Who gives a good GD fat f%$@ing sh!t? It's girls and they are not even from Tennessee!!

December 22, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Amanda

congrats..im nt a big fan of sports but that is something good to hear...all the negatvie talk is uncalled for..if it was u in their shoes u would want nice comments too....

December 22, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |