UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win
December 21st, 2010

UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win

You can argue whether streaks from teams nearly 40 years and a gender apart should be compared. What's not in dispute is that the University of Connecticut women now have the longest winning streak in NCAA Division I basketball history.

UConn won its 89th consecutive game Tuesday, beating Florida State 93-62 in Hartford's XL Center and surpassing the men’s Division I streak of 88 set by coach John Wooden's UCLA teams from 1971 to 1974.

Senior forward Maya Moore scored 41 points - 26 of them in the first half - for the top-ranked Huskies (11-0).

After the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN that it wouldn't be fair to compare the Huskies' and UCLA's streaks.

"I don't want to compare anything to anything, and I don't want my team to compare themselves to anybody else. This stands on its own," Auriemma said. "What John Wooden and UCLA did will never, ever be repeated, and that's not what we set out to do.

"I'm not John Wooden, and this isn’t UCLA. This is Connecticut, and for us, that’s good enough."

The Huskies' historic streak started with the first game of the 2008-09 season, with UConn having lost to Stanford in the previous season's Final Four.

The streak came years after UConn already had established itself as a top women's program. Of the 10 longest winning streaks in Division I women's basketball, the Huskies hold four, including the previous longest (70, from 2001 to 2003).

SI.com: The most revered streaks in sports

Earlier this week, after UConn tied UCLA's Division I record with a victory Sunday over Ohio State, Auriemma took issue with the media's motives for paying attention to his team, saying there wouldn't be as many people covering the club if it were chasing a women's record, and that people were "up in arms about" the possibility that women could break a men's record.

After Tuesday's game, Auriemma saluted his senior and junior stars for playing throughout the streak.

"Mostly what I'm going to remember about tonight is that - forget about all the other stuff you may have heard or whatever else has been going on - tonight really more than anything for me was about Maya Moore and Tiffany Hayes and the fact that they've been through all 89 of these."

This season, only Baylor has finished a game within single digits of the two-time defending national champions (UConn beat Baylor 65-64 on November 16).

SI.com's Richard Deitsch says Maya "the face of The Streak" delivered a "signature performance" as usual.

"The ethereal 6-foot senior forward finished with a career-high 41 points on 15 of 24 shooting from the field," Deitsch wrote. "If Moore leads UConn (11-0) to a third consecutive championship this April in Indianapolis, there will be no argument that she'll go down as the greatest player in women's college basketball history."

Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • Connecticut • Sports
  1. Phil

@Can You Play, I havent played organized ball in over 15 years, and without a doubt I would have no problem beating them one on one.

December 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • joand

Oh please. She's not UConn, but I guarantee you....and would bet money....that Brittney Griner could mop the floor with you and then punch your lights out in a heartbeat.

December 21, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

hahaha, phil...

December 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marie Gree

Too bad it's not even close to the Penn State women's volleyball record of 109 that just ended in September. And Russ Rose is a way cooler guy than Geno. More people should watch volleyball, it's much better than women's basketball.

December 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Learn the facts

Winning 109 games is comprised of 109 best-of-5 series'. They had losses in between. I am sure if the uconn women were able to play each team up to 5 times, they wouldnt ever lose a "match."

December 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chuckly

a high school men's team could probably win 100 in a row if all they played were women

December 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Phil

@Nathan, no, its a Division I WOMENS record. They dont even use the same equipment, ie, ball size, that the mens do. Thats like a bowler bowling 5 straight 300 games. Then I walk up with a ball thats larger, and bowl 6 perfect games in a row. Did I break the other persons record? No, because you didnt use the same equipment I used.

December 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nathan

@ Phil, I would LOVE to see that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Justin

Hey ladies, it would be possible for the record to happen in the modern era if the guys on the mens teams stayed all 4 years and if you couldn't skip college for the NBA altogether. You couldn't leave early for the NBA in the 70s. Wake up.

December 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Acaraho

Hey bro, half of the players on the men's team don't even belong in college. All the UConn women graduate and most are Dean's list students. Go smoke that in your pipe.

December 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nathan

@ Phil, So, if mens basketball is so much better than why hasn't anyone broke the record? I will tell you why because the women play together and are fundamentally sound and the men are not. PERIOD.

December 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chuckly

let them play against a men's team and see how sound they are!!

December 21, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chuckly

you could get a mens team together with a group of guys that never played together before and they would mop the floor with the fundamentally sound women

December 21, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Acaraho

You are a very little man.

December 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

yeah right, bahahaha

December 22, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. tmoney

Congrats ladies!

December 21, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Monroe

I'm reading a lot of hater mail here. Ill tell you what fellas, play Maya one on one and if u win, talk all the trash u want. UConn athletics is the best!

December 21, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Emilio Sforza

cmon, i'm as big a UCONN fan as they come. This is a women's record. period. Rebecca Lobo was asked this same question when the women won there first championship (If they can beat the men). Believe it or not they do scrimmage. You know what she said. They men beat us by 50 points. They were so fast they never could catch them on fast breaks, they blocked nearly every shot they took. If they played they would lose by 50. This was Rebecca Lobo that said that. so u people who think this women team can play with any D1 school let alone a ranked one. needs to be put on some serious meds.

December 21, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nathan

@ Dan, about as smart as your mother.

December 21, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

??? Since my mother is a heart surgeon @ SF General, I hope so! Troll!

December 21, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lauren

This is an accomplishment that no college has beat until today. We should be proud of these young women who have kept their head and held and did something very simple perform a job with passion, focus, and determination. More than what most people do.

December 21, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |