UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win
December 21st, 2010

UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win

You can argue whether streaks from teams nearly 40 years and a gender apart should be compared. What's not in dispute is that the University of Connecticut women now have the longest winning streak in NCAA Division I basketball history.

UConn won its 89th consecutive game Tuesday, beating Florida State 93-62 in Hartford's XL Center and surpassing the men’s Division I streak of 88 set by coach John Wooden's UCLA teams from 1971 to 1974.

Senior forward Maya Moore scored 41 points - 26 of them in the first half - for the top-ranked Huskies (11-0).

After the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN that it wouldn't be fair to compare the Huskies' and UCLA's streaks.

"I don't want to compare anything to anything, and I don't want my team to compare themselves to anybody else. This stands on its own," Auriemma said. "What John Wooden and UCLA did will never, ever be repeated, and that's not what we set out to do.

"I'm not John Wooden, and this isn’t UCLA. This is Connecticut, and for us, that’s good enough."

The Huskies' historic streak started with the first game of the 2008-09 season, with UConn having lost to Stanford in the previous season's Final Four.

The streak came years after UConn already had established itself as a top women's program. Of the 10 longest winning streaks in Division I women's basketball, the Huskies hold four, including the previous longest (70, from 2001 to 2003).

SI.com: The most revered streaks in sports

Earlier this week, after UConn tied UCLA's Division I record with a victory Sunday over Ohio State, Auriemma took issue with the media's motives for paying attention to his team, saying there wouldn't be as many people covering the club if it were chasing a women's record, and that people were "up in arms about" the possibility that women could break a men's record.

After Tuesday's game, Auriemma saluted his senior and junior stars for playing throughout the streak.

"Mostly what I'm going to remember about tonight is that - forget about all the other stuff you may have heard or whatever else has been going on - tonight really more than anything for me was about Maya Moore and Tiffany Hayes and the fact that they've been through all 89 of these."

This season, only Baylor has finished a game within single digits of the two-time defending national champions (UConn beat Baylor 65-64 on November 16).

SI.com's Richard Deitsch says Maya "the face of The Streak" delivered a "signature performance" as usual.

"The ethereal 6-foot senior forward finished with a career-high 41 points on 15 of 24 shooting from the field," Deitsch wrote. "If Moore leads UConn (11-0) to a third consecutive championship this April in Indianapolis, there will be no argument that she'll go down as the greatest player in women's college basketball history."

Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • Connecticut • Sports
  1. Nathan

No one is saying that they would beat a division 1 mens team, but that does not diminish what they accomplished just because they are women. And any man that thinks that it does needs to return to the stone age where they belong.

December 21, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chuckly

it's an awesome record, but it's a woman's record. PERIOD
    to put them in any category with any men's records are pitiful.
    there is no comparison

December 21, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SW

Yes, here's the comparison: 89 compared to 88.

December 21, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Phil

@Nathan hahah yeah right. Maybe because you only have a handful of really good women players, and the mens are more spread out? Take a look at realtimerpi.com, the worse team on there is Jacksonville St. J State would DOMINATE Uconn 10 out of 10 times and beat them handily every single time.

December 21, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara

Uconn sucks.

December 21, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

NATHAN IS A FEMALE POSING AS MALE!

December 21, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

You must have me confused with your mother and your wife...if you have one

December 21, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@Nathan,

The only person on this board who' s confused is you. Probably been a spectator all your life, got picked last or not at all when it came down to pick teams in elementary school. All the boys picked on you so you were forced to play basketball and hop scotch with the girls. The girls beat you down in b-ball because you sucked and now you have no choice but to respect their game.

December 21, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

Grow up you chauvinistic ingrate. And as far as my athletic ability I will meet you any place at any time and beat you at any sport you want to play. Basketball I would dominate you down low, and you definitely do not want to play me in football because I would break your little punk @#$ in two.

December 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@Nathan,

How can you tell someone to grow up and you started in talking about my mom? You are truly a retard! Name the time and place. I live in California and will send you a plane ticket to come get whipped.

December 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

You haven't a clue how to play ball. It is pretty obvious that you played at some junior college and was probably a bench warmer. Also, I would like to inform you that I am 6'5" tall, weigh 287 lbs, squat over 500 lbs and played Division 1 AA football for four years. I played basketball in high school and intramural basketball in college to stay in shape. There is no need for you to send me a ticket because I live in California as well. I live in Los Angeles. When would you like to play, big mouth? I will drive anywhere in California to play you.

December 22, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. hughiewis

Are there ever any fans in the second level at a woman's basketball game? The networks try their best not to show the empty arena.

December 21, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Emilio

Nathan...the media is making this out to be a men vs women record not us. UCONN beat there own record of 70 wins in a row last year. as a matter of fact UCONN women are 159-1 over the last 160 games. yet everybody is making a big deal over the 88. These women and there sustained excellence is what should be celebrated and that's it leave UCLA OUT OF IT.

December 21, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

I agree. Let their accomplishment stand on its own merits and stop all the hating.

December 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jemini

The liberals probably bought it out.. like usual.

December 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Phil

If you take the worse mens team out there, pick 3 people off it, and play a game 3 vs 5, the mens team would win

December 21, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jemini

I can't agree. Basketball is mainly luck. You see the show PROS vs JOES? well, the joes win most of the time.. cause the pros are not as good as u think they are.

December 21, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Basketball is luck? Maybe I missed the point. Asking myself why I practiced several hours per day.

December 21, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

That show is a setup. If the "Pro's" win all the time, do you think the show would still be on the air?

December 21, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WILLARD BULLOCK

That is great for uconn

December 21, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. matt

The UCLA record has not been broken, this is women's basketball, which if you watch is brutal. It is like watching a bunch of 7 year olds play and you cannot watch for more than 5 minutes.

December 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • NewsOrGossip

Matt are you jealous because your Mommy didn't love you at all or something!!! Or do you like staring at naked children pictures? You're creepy to women, get off the site!

December 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred L. Fraud

NewsOrGossip – That's a very inappropriate comment. You should report yourself.

December 21, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. james

And in other news, Larry King fell asleep on another celebrity.

Don't even try to compare this to what Coach Wooden and UCLA did.

December 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DrFood

Their fundamentals are good, but they can't dunk!

December 21, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Which is hilarious because many of them are 6'7, 6'8 and can barely touch the rim.

December 21, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keira

Um, ever see Britney Griner of Baylor? Candace Parker (former Lady Vol & LA Sparks Center)? Lisa Leslie? Sylvia Crowley? Charlotte Smith? They all dunked. So there goes your theory. Women don't need to dunk every posession - the men don't do it either.

December 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@Keira

How many times have you seen any of those ladies dunk? Once? Lisa Leslies' dunk looked so awkward, I thought she hurt her back.

December 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Keira, the difference is most men can dunk in the NBA and college basketball. I can count the amount of women who can dunk on two hands.

December 21, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Keira

Empty arena?? None of you people watched the game did ya? Yet you feel compelled to comment & trash these women for their accomplishments. Shame on you!!! XL was PACKED - as it always is, record or not! It's obvious you haven't seen UCONN play - they are a well oiled machine and I'll bet some of you neanderthals will be weeping after Maya Moore is done wiping the floor with you. Did you also know the winningest coach in college basketball's history is a woman?? Yes, cavemen, Pat Summitt, the coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols! Congrats to the UCONN ladies on their accomplishments. Haters are only jealous!

December 21, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Its called everyone fell into ESPNs hype machine for the game

December 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Pat Summitt is the winningest WOMENS college basketball coach in history. I just don't understand why people can't make the distinction between womens and mens b-ball. BTW – I'd dunk in Maya Moores' face!

December 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kathy

Congratulations to UConn women's basketball team for a terrific feat. All u chavinist men should just shut up with that kind of talk. Women's basketball is more fn to watch bc unlike men's basketball, there's no egotism. All men do is show off with those slam dunks! Give me women's basketball any day!

December 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |