UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win
December 21st, 2010

UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win

You can argue whether streaks from teams nearly 40 years and a gender apart should be compared. What's not in dispute is that the University of Connecticut women now have the longest winning streak in NCAA Division I basketball history.

UConn won its 89th consecutive game Tuesday, beating Florida State 93-62 in Hartford's XL Center and surpassing the men’s Division I streak of 88 set by coach John Wooden's UCLA teams from 1971 to 1974.

Senior forward Maya Moore scored 41 points - 26 of them in the first half - for the top-ranked Huskies (11-0).

After the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN that it wouldn't be fair to compare the Huskies' and UCLA's streaks.

"I don't want to compare anything to anything, and I don't want my team to compare themselves to anybody else. This stands on its own," Auriemma said. "What John Wooden and UCLA did will never, ever be repeated, and that's not what we set out to do.

"I'm not John Wooden, and this isn’t UCLA. This is Connecticut, and for us, that’s good enough."

The Huskies' historic streak started with the first game of the 2008-09 season, with UConn having lost to Stanford in the previous season's Final Four.

The streak came years after UConn already had established itself as a top women's program. Of the 10 longest winning streaks in Division I women's basketball, the Huskies hold four, including the previous longest (70, from 2001 to 2003).

SI.com: The most revered streaks in sports

Earlier this week, after UConn tied UCLA's Division I record with a victory Sunday over Ohio State, Auriemma took issue with the media's motives for paying attention to his team, saying there wouldn't be as many people covering the club if it were chasing a women's record, and that people were "up in arms about" the possibility that women could break a men's record.

After Tuesday's game, Auriemma saluted his senior and junior stars for playing throughout the streak.

"Mostly what I'm going to remember about tonight is that - forget about all the other stuff you may have heard or whatever else has been going on - tonight really more than anything for me was about Maya Moore and Tiffany Hayes and the fact that they've been through all 89 of these."

This season, only Baylor has finished a game within single digits of the two-time defending national champions (UConn beat Baylor 65-64 on November 16).

SI.com's Richard Deitsch says Maya "the face of The Streak" delivered a "signature performance" as usual.

"The ethereal 6-foot senior forward finished with a career-high 41 points on 15 of 24 shooting from the field," Deitsch wrote. "If Moore leads UConn (11-0) to a third consecutive championship this April in Indianapolis, there will be no argument that she'll go down as the greatest player in women's college basketball history."

Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • Connecticut • Sports
  1. chuckly

lol, a woman says give me women's basketball anyday? LOL
    that's the problem with women's basketball, it only attracts other women cause it's too boring for men to watch.

December 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

That's the dirty little secret, it doesn't attract even the women! Last I checked this country is almost half women and no one is watching the WNBA are they?

December 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. renny

Women basketball WHO CARES

December 21, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

Every game they win is a new record, and has been for some time. As for the UCLA record, different sport and not comparable. Both are amazing in their own right, no need to even try comparing them.

December 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. billy bob

seaweavel

December 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. T-Bone

Who Cares! I am sick of hearing about it.......I stopped watching all basketball when they all turned into gang bangers. Go Duke!!

December 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Roger Bolo

Congrats to these student-athlete-ladies! Quite an accomplishment! Down with the haters! Don't comment on hair nappyness!

December 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

Can't believe hateful comments, what a bunch of pigs you are.

December 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LOLLZZZ

lol at women trying to do anything. go cook me some eggs woman

December 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • NewsOrGossip

Oh No You Did-ent! I have to admit...I do have homicidal thoughts about poppin' a cap in a man who told to "make me sandwich" when he has two functioning arms! I'd "pop the trunk" and end up on Nancy Grace!!! Nancy: he told me to do it!!! I Love Yelawolf! Don't Make Me Pop The Trunk! Listen to that song...understand the meaning, before you make statements like that!!!! LOL!!

December 21, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. a user

Wow. Alot of you are idiots. if you dont care, then why are you watching/commenting? I'm sure there are other things for those who dont care to watch. Congrats to the ladies. What an accomplishment!

December 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

There is no such thing as commenting/watching. They are commenting and seriously doubt they care to watch a game.

December 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NewsOrGossip

Right On Ladies!!!!! We're on our way to a Womens Professional Football and our own Heisman...Thighsman (LOL!!)

December 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. billy bob

wat does everyyone think of anchovies on pizza? gross right?

December 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steven Landers

Yay! Now they get to play the UCLA Men!

December 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hughiewis

Dear Keira:
    I'm sorry that I didn't watch tonights game (I had a little navel fuzz that needed cleaning). But let's be real, 99.9%
    of any woman's games can hardly fill 1/3 of any major arena in this country. Maybe UCONN had a little more than usual tonight, I wasn't watching.

December 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • NewsOrGossip

Then don't comment Navel Lent masterbater!

December 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Emilio

I don't wanna burst the women's bubble, but John Wooden won 7 consecutive national championships from 1967-74 and 11 championships total. and in those days the tourney had 16 teams which means yuor first game was against a 4 seed not a 16 seed like today.

December 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ggr

It's a great streak, but to say it is a "record" clearly implies the UCONN women have surpassed the UCLA men's program. This, in turn, implies this an apples-to-apple comparison. Obviously it is not. STOP the nonsense please.

December 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |