UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win
December 21st, 2010

UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win

You can argue whether streaks from teams nearly 40 years and a gender apart should be compared. What's not in dispute is that the University of Connecticut women now have the longest winning streak in NCAA Division I basketball history.

UConn won its 89th consecutive game Tuesday, beating Florida State 93-62 in Hartford's XL Center and surpassing the men’s Division I streak of 88 set by coach John Wooden's UCLA teams from 1971 to 1974.

Senior forward Maya Moore scored 41 points - 26 of them in the first half - for the top-ranked Huskies (11-0).

After the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN that it wouldn't be fair to compare the Huskies' and UCLA's streaks.

"I don't want to compare anything to anything, and I don't want my team to compare themselves to anybody else. This stands on its own," Auriemma said. "What John Wooden and UCLA did will never, ever be repeated, and that's not what we set out to do.

"I'm not John Wooden, and this isn’t UCLA. This is Connecticut, and for us, that’s good enough."

The Huskies' historic streak started with the first game of the 2008-09 season, with UConn having lost to Stanford in the previous season's Final Four.

The streak came years after UConn already had established itself as a top women's program. Of the 10 longest winning streaks in Division I women's basketball, the Huskies hold four, including the previous longest (70, from 2001 to 2003).

SI.com: The most revered streaks in sports

Earlier this week, after UConn tied UCLA's Division I record with a victory Sunday over Ohio State, Auriemma took issue with the media's motives for paying attention to his team, saying there wouldn't be as many people covering the club if it were chasing a women's record, and that people were "up in arms about" the possibility that women could break a men's record.

After Tuesday's game, Auriemma saluted his senior and junior stars for playing throughout the streak.

"Mostly what I'm going to remember about tonight is that - forget about all the other stuff you may have heard or whatever else has been going on - tonight really more than anything for me was about Maya Moore and Tiffany Hayes and the fact that they've been through all 89 of these."

This season, only Baylor has finished a game within single digits of the two-time defending national champions (UConn beat Baylor 65-64 on November 16).

SI.com's Richard Deitsch says Maya "the face of The Streak" delivered a "signature performance" as usual.

"The ethereal 6-foot senior forward finished with a career-high 41 points on 15 of 24 shooting from the field," Deitsch wrote. "If Moore leads UConn (11-0) to a third consecutive championship this April in Indianapolis, there will be no argument that she'll go down as the greatest player in women's college basketball history."

Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • Connecticut • Sports
  1. Tony

Just as exciting as watching women parallel park.And of course,they all drive "automatics".Not intelligent enough to drive standards(stick).

December 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

isn't that an American invention by the way,the stick.So American "intelligence" at its best

December 21, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. the jew

There all on steroids, I mean come on have you seen those women? Ugh

December 21, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fan

And Chuckly. It is the biggest thing to happen yet. Thus, calling it a "record." Regardless of the side, no one had accomplished an 89 game winning streak until today.

And yeah, sure this says something about the game. People are getting good at it and more need to step up to the plate. No one said that golf was in demise during Tiger Woods dominance. There are great teams on both sides in a number of sports that are dominant. It just means that more people need to work just as hard to meet the challenge. I mean they're all humans. The UConn team is doing nothing unorthodox in their training, etc.

December 21, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tony

Just as exciting as watching women parallel park.Take's them 80 tries.And they still screw up.It is a man's world.Who do you think invented basketball?

December 21, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Wow

Wow...I am truly shocked at what I am reading. One 'gentleman' wrote "This speaks more of the poor condition women's college basketball is in today. Look at the record another way: No other team in NCAA is able to beat this team." Does that equate to the state of men's college basketball when UCLA won 88 consecutive games? What is wrong with you people? No one is saying that the UConn's women's team could beat the UCLA men's team. However, both records speak volumes as to the coaches, the basketball programs and to the players themselves. The men played their physical peers as did the women. The UCLA record is amazing, but so is the UConn's, and regardless of anything else, the UConn women's basketball team does now hold the record for the most consecutive wins by a Division I basketball team regardless of gender. Congratulations to the entire UConn program – hold your heads up high. It is truly a remarkable fete. And... congratulations to the UCLA men's team. Get over yourselves people. Recognize excellence and let these people enjoy what they have accomplished.

December 21, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Yes, actually it does. UCLA had a complete advantage with dominate centers the likes of which no one had ever seen. The men's game was not very dynamic back then, just like the women's game today. Good luck seeing a team go undefeated in a season no because of parity, let alone 89 in a row.

December 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@WOW

If you go back and read our discussion, we were talking about modern era basketball. No mens team today would rattle off 80+ games in a row because too many of them can actually play.

December 21, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fan

Emilio, out of curiosity, what UNC women's soccer 92 record? I highly doubt its wins. They lost early in the tournament this year. And have suffered losses before... And I mean, the fasted 100m is the fastest 100m. That's understood. Yes, we know men are faster than women, but time is time. And they lost at 70 last time...

December 21, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

UNC won 92 straight games with the streak ending in 1995 I believe. Also, I think the PSU Women's Volleyball team ended their streak of 109 games in a row earlier this year. They also just won their 4th straight championship.

December 21, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BDSNSC

Big Deal. There is ZERO parity in women's basketball. All these girls did was wlak in the trail already blazed over and over by the previous UCONN teams. UCONN and Tennessee have won 13 of the last 20 Championships. So whoopity doooo they won 89 in a row when every cowardly high school star just keeps flocking to the perenial power. BIG DEAL. This was not an accomplishment, this was an expectation. But you go ahead girls, party like you did something amazing when the rest of us know different.

December 21, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • SW

Hey, BD: Shut the F up!

December 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Hey SW, truth hurts.... UCLA went 88 straight in a time when there wasn't a ton of parity either though.

December 21, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. a

First off congrats to the UConn women. Second..to the loser guys commenting on the smaller ball the women play with...our hands are smaller ya dopes! Third...maybe you should focus on your own lack of size which would explain the extra time you have to sit online and post stupid comments.

December 21, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

"are hands are smaller dopes" – Than make the hoop smaller too.

December 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hughiewis

NewsOrGossip:
    Navel fuzz usually comes from lint. Lent is a religous observance. And I've always been able to bait the hook!

December 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. barry O.

Im glad it doesnt matter that most, if not all are nappy headed ho's.

December 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SW

As I look at the comments from the Neanderthals, it makes me ashamed to be a man. Congrats, UConn women! And men (I mean boys) grow up and shut up. Most of your posts are totally illogical.

December 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. brown

That's some nappy-headed hos!

December 21, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. brown

That's some nappy-headed hos. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some—whew. And the girls from Florida they all look cute, you know, so, like—kinda like—I don't know.

December 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hammer of the gods

Hey girls this is swell. Now make me a sandwich...

December 21, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • South Side

And go in the kitchen and bake me a pie!

December 21, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |