Navy contract means jobs for northern Wisconsin, Michigan
December 22nd, 2010

Navy contract means jobs for northern Wisconsin, Michigan

The short-term spending bill that President Obama signed Wednesday includes approval of a Navy contract to buy 10 specialized combat ships from a builder in northern Wisconsin.

Marinette Marine of Marinette, Wisconsin, will built 10 littoral (close-to-shore) combat ships at no more than $480 million apiece, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported.

The contract will directly generate about 1,000 shipbuilding jobs in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and thousands more with suppliers and subcontractors, Kimberly Martinez, a spokeswoman for main contractor Lockheed Martin, told the Detroit Free Press.

"What a Christmas gift," George Krah, mayor of Menominee, Michigan, across the Menominee River from Marinette, said to the Free Press.

The Navy also ordered 10 ships of a different design from General Dynamics; they'll be built by Austal USA in Mobile, Alabama, according to the Journal-Sentinel.

The littoral (sounds like "literal") combat ships are designed to operate in shallow water for use in such missions as hunting submarines and pirates, the Journal-Sentinel reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Michigan • Military • U.S. • U.S. Navy • Wisconsin
  1. Frank

People of the United States.
    Well,at least jobs are being created within the "Military Industrial Complex".Somewhere in the vast government bureaucracy ,if someone in the Obama Administration was smart enough(or not) to have a list derived from companines and state governments around the country of jobs created by the first Stimulous Package last year.CNN,please try to find and broadcast that list.

December 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

People of the United States: Yes! There is someone in the country that can spell buracacey, and that person is Frank.

December 22, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. J. Halpen

Hunting subs in shallow water??????????

December 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

J.Halpen,

Subs can sneak up on you and put a fish up your fantail and be gone in fathom.

December 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

argh! there be pirates in these waters.

December 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT

instead of building 10 ships at a cost of 4800 million. why not build 4800 mil worth of solar panels or a massive wind farm. for a ten of that you could build a ton of stuff over in somalia.

December 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Major Captain John Smith

I applied for Marinette Job several months ago. Must be overqualified. They never called.

December 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

you probably need to speak spanish and work for 10$ an hour to get that job.

December 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Major Captain John Smith

No I believe they may actually pay enough to get back and forth to work, and still live like shlitz.
    Maybe need only 4 or 5 roomates to survive.

December 22, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

ahh blood-money wages.. just enuff to live on but not enuff to get ahead.

December 22, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Clem K'diddle-hopper

Jesus, forgive me for my sins; forgive me for my drunkenness; forgive me for cursing God, twice, in my heart.

December 22, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jay

Apply for jobs only listed with recruiters nationwide at http://www.resumecart.com Over 30,000 recruiters listed nationwide.

December 22, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff Frank

I'm clueless. 10 boats for $4.8 billion. What...thats $13.33 from every living man, woman, and child in this country. I did'nt get no raise for this. Did you?

December 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bri

for months people have been crying about no jobs...now a measure has passed to create jobs for thousands of people and u guys are still complaining...some people will never be satisfied!!!

December 23, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

@Clem'K: You've got some big sins on your record. Cussing at God and getting drunk. Dam Clem, you know booze comes from the devil. Lula (an angel) told me to tell you that you are dammed to burn in hell. She says it pleases the Lord when you ask for forgiveness on-line. You might get some kind of forgiveness like instead of hell lessen your punishment; maybe be reincarnated and be born in Hatie or Detroit, who knows.

December 23, 2010 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. kenny kowis

Hello my name is kenny kowis I was talking to my grandpa and he siad there is work up by u guys, I'm 24 years old I have no felonies a hard worker. I've done landscaping, building sun rooms, decks, outing in windows, sideing, ruffing, dry wall, stucko. My email address dose not work I was woundering if u could call me please to see if u have any job openings. I want to take care my family its hard times. My cell phone number is 414 982 8452, my home number is 414 329 0832

December 31, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |