Terrelle Pryor, 5 other Ohio State football players suspended
December 23rd, 2010

Terrelle Pryor, 5 other Ohio State football players suspended

Six student-athletes on The Ohio State University football team have been suspended for NCAA violations, the school said Thursday.

Mike Adams, Dan Herron, DeVier Posey, Terrelle Pryor (pictured above) and Solomon Thomas will miss the first five games of the 2011 season and must repay money and benefits, the school said.

A sixth player, Jordan Whiting, must sit out the first game, the NCAA determined.

According to a university press release, as part of the players' reinstatement:

- Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 gold pants, which were a gift from OSU, his 2008 conference championship ring and his 2009 Sportsmanship Award from the Fiesta Bowl.

- Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten title ring.

- Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes and accepting discounted services.

- Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 conference championship ring and accepting discounted services.

- Thomas must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 gold pants, his conference title ring and accepting discounted services.

- Whiting must pay $150 to a charity "for the value of services that were discounted," the press release said.

The punishments stem from an incident in which at least some of the Buckeye players received tattoos for their autographs, according to news reports.

Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs, said the penalties were “significant" and "based on findings and information provided by the university.”

Gene Smith, associate vice president and director of athletics at Ohio State, said at a press conference that the university will appeal the penalties, with hopes of getting the number of game suspensions reduced. Smith also said the university will do more to educate its student-athletes about the rules.

"After going through this experience," Smith said, "we will further enhance our education for all our student-athletes as we move forward.”

The student-athletes will be eligible to play in the AllState Sugar Bowl on January 4 against the Arkansas Razorbacks, the university said.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Ohio • Sports
  1. SinisterMidget

Are they suspended with or without pay? Will this have salary-cap implications for OSU in the upcoming seasons..??

December 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Paul

Lesson should be learned not to give them anything if you don't want them to sell it. I am sure there are probably other hints that these players have been doing some shady businesses and this is the lesser of the evil, but for them to play the bowl game and miss some cupcake games, puts the corruption in perspective, with Cam winning the Heisman, just let these kids go pro and be done with it.

December 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. yeah OK

I'm sure they were compelled to sell their prized possessions for good reason. But then I'm not a bitter bigot foaming at the mouth over jocks getting a "free" ride.

December 23, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pay ThePlayers

Pay The Players! Just take the $170 Million in Bowl Game revenue. . All the players get is a free trip, chance to play and t-shirts, while colleges get millions, bowl organizers make $700K per year salaries. Free college football labor is enriching everyone else and creating a false college athletics economy.

December 23, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Asia Rockstar

The kids take the risks and the hits and are the only ones who have to "payback" when the NCAA, the schools and communities make untold millions off of these kids efforts. That's the American way...

December 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. yeah OK

SO WHAT! Who died? What threat does this pose? Wow, a pair of pants that I could give 2 cents about was sold by it's owner are you kidding me? What's next they'll need a bathroom pass from the coach to do their business. USA my azz.

December 23, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dreadpirateroberts

Paying players is ridiculous. Maybe the IRS should make the free education taxable since many leaving comments do not equate value to a FREE EDUCATION. Most families shell out $50,000 + to educate their children.
    Most D1 schools don't even break even with their programs (non-profits don't know how to make profits). So paying players will only raise taxes in most states. Think people.

December 23, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. yeah OK

If you don't want to pay them then make sure they REALLY do get a quality education because a lot, NOT ALL, of these guys are pushed right through the system with the promise of fortune and fame.

December 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Woody Hayes

These guys should be slapped silly! I'm rolling over in my grave!

December 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. catfish252

I guess OSU and the NCAA may lose some money if they suspend them from this years bowl game, Way to teach those values OSU and NCAA, you people are pathetic. It's okay to look the other way when it affects your pocketbook, this will give you a little more time to figure out how to make up for the loss huh? Disgraceful leadership.

December 23, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Woody Hayes

These guys should be slapped silly! I'm rolling over in my grave!

The Wood

December 23, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. K Man

Another thing you adults in here need to realize is these kids come from POOR backgrounds with a poorly educated parents who really don't have much to pass on. Most of them don't even have a father either. They heavily rely on the college recruiter (agent) as to what is good business for them. Not everybody has it all together at the ages of 17,18, 19 or 20. Obviously no one advised them better.

December 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marlene Osborn

Lucky they're not playing for Michigan State University. Dantonio wouldn't have let them on the bus. It disgusts me how athletes are treated as being above the fray. Rules are rules, for goodness sakes! I hope they lose, and lose big.

December 23, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Fast Fred

The NCAA is has far to much power. If you give me something and then tell me what I can and cannot do with it, it isn't mine. They should be able to sell what belongs to them. The NCAA and Universities have become very rich off these athletes. They need to be given a monthly stipend by the NCAA.

December 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • reelnole

They CAN sell any item given to them. All they need do is leave the program, and sell away. Really a pretty simple concept. When must they "repay" for their sales? Prior to the Bowl game, or after they sign with an agent in January? Right............

December 23, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. meow

I get it, OSU is obnoxious and most people would be more than happy to see them fail. And believe me I'm not agreeing that what these players did was right by any means, but I do think that it's absolutely ridiculous that they would suspend these players for 5 whole games. I can understand if they were to be suspended for the bowl game but I find it a little disheartening that their making them miss almost half their season. We all make mistakes and I know everyone likes to assume the worst about these college athletes but they are people too. I know people have been commenting about "well maybe they should get a job and then they won't have to sell their gear", how is someone supposed to have a job when they're a full time student and have practices almost, if not, everyday of the freaking week. Yes, these players are given free housing, free education, and stipends, but if you're that talented then I think you deserve every bit of it. And sometimes the act of winning is good enough for some people that they don't need materials to remind them of how amazing they are. I mean woo hoo gold pants are pretty exciting but if I had the chance to make that much money off of them I think I would too. I don't think we should be punishing anyone for being rewarded for their talent or choosing to sell their gifts to fans. To each his own I suppose, but I disagree with the suspensions and I wish the players the best of luck in the future.

December 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |