'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign
December 23rd, 2010

'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign

An atheist billboard on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel that declared Christmas a "myth" has been replaced by a pro-Christian billboard.

The old billboard, put up in late November by the American Atheists organization, said "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason."

The sign stirred controversy among Christian organizations, prompting the Catholic League to erect its own pro-Christmas billboard on the New York side of the tunnel that read, "You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

The new sign, which was posted by the Manhattan-based Times Square Church, reads "God is," and includes a word cloud of religious themes.

Read more about the billboard controversy
Post by:
Filed under: Religion
  1. Jim Morrison

@Imposter Jesus. Ah, what's the use talking with Atheists..... BURN !!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!! ..... B U R N !!!!!!!!

December 25, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Todd

I am a Chrisitan, and I have a message for my atheist friends. My faith does not make me any less logical, less rational, or less intelligent than anyone else. I am a medical school student, and I didnt get into medical school because I'm ridiculously good looking lol. It takes just as much faith to be an atheist as it does to be a Christian. For example, an atheist has to believe that our design as humans is the result of a scientific accident or chance. As someone who studies the human body, I am fascinated by the way we are designed. Our design is so intricate and detailed that I find it hard to believe that our design is an accident. I know it may be easy to dismiss this comment as just "another one of those", but if you claim to be people of "reason", I ask that you would consider my reasoning. If you want to have a genuine discussion about faith and what has led me to faith, and some of the evidence that points me toward my faith, both intellectual and personal, than I would be more than happy to do that. However, to dismiss an entire faith group of people as lacking logic is divisive and adds nothing intelligent to the discussion.

December 26, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Joseph Smith

I know I am seeing myself still only cause disagreeing, but do you know that Christians are like atheists to Mormons? Besides having awe for human existence that needs explanation to some why is it that our overall reason can not belong to ourselves? My Mother created me and throughout history gets little credit for her love that Men take owner ship of and give to two males. If I am to believe in any spiritual true existence it is not coming from Men. I do not have a college degree and so I have to bare with it.

December 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Aogfc

Dennis Bergkamp is God... Cesc Fabregas is the son of God... there is no higher divinity

December 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Accountability from a dictionary not a bible

I like faith, but I do not like the sentiment of those who are formed with individuality are in a struggle. Forming prejudice amongst people and deemed going to hell, like innocent Indians with their own beliefs . The whole poster is from a Church not God. Using emotions to control people. I see some of the phrases as what believers would like non-believers to feel. I do not believe that is the right thing to do ever. I see what is said on the poster as what the Church wants from a God and some are not good at doing any of that. The ones who assume the emotional power and miss use it come along too often. The ones who want to see Atheist burn are much like people who wanted to see Christ on a cross for him having personal beliefs. Isn't is bad to want to see others burn and weep rewards for using the label of Christian to bypass all human hardships? Personally, I respect an Atheist the most due to the realization that they give up needing a reward for good behavior. They do that because it is who some of them are.

December 26, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bogdan

These Atheists are mad dogs.:))

December 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. God

Man I cant wait for my album to come out next month! Everybody buy a copy. It's called: GOD version 2.0

January 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |