'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign
December 23rd, 2010

'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign

An atheist billboard on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel that declared Christmas a "myth" has been replaced by a pro-Christian billboard.

The old billboard, put up in late November by the American Atheists organization, said "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason."

The sign stirred controversy among Christian organizations, prompting the Catholic League to erect its own pro-Christmas billboard on the New York side of the tunnel that read, "You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

The new sign, which was posted by the Manhattan-based Times Square Church, reads "God is," and includes a word cloud of religious themes.

Read more about the billboard controversy
Post by:
Filed under: Religion
  1. Jim Morrison

People who have love in their hearts don't have the time and negative energy to bash God and those who follow Him, and their name or interpretation of Him/Her. That truth proves the God bashing people are hopless, spiritually empty people..... Not because they may or may not be correct, but because they selfishly and intentionally mock those who disagree, and in doing so, discredit themselves. Believe what you want, but stop mocking the feelings of others. It makes you appear weak and hateful.

December 23, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nuschler

"That truth proves the God bashing people are hopless, spiritually empty people." Your quote, Mr. Jim Morrison.
      Well all the atheists that I know don't go around "bashing god." We just don't believe that these man-made deities even exist. We are not spiritually empty! We are kind, considerate, compassionate people. We do good works NOT to get into a heaven that doesn't exist, but because this is the way a society should behave..not hating each other! Open up your mind! Love each other..be kind! If you met me or my fellow "non-believers" you would NEVER guess that we don't believe in your made-up deity.

So quit hating people who don't agree with you. We certainly don't hate YOU for believing! We may be concerned that you might be delusional, but we will not kill you for it or call you names. The inquisition and jihads were what you believers started up.."Believe!" Or we will behead and torture you! Chill out! Why do atheists make you so angry? If you truly believe in a omnipresent, all-seeing, all-knowing "god", he can take care of himself!

You claim to believe in a god, but then you call atheists terrible people? What would Jesus say? The only people he ever became angry with were people in the financial business!

December 23, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • ybs

No, I don't hate religious nor horoscopes sheep. What I hate is what religious folks stuff down non-believers' throat - "in god we trust, so help me god" crap.

Imagine if there were enough people who believe in horoscopes than your god, and we all have to deal with "in horoscopes we trust, so help me horoscopes" crap.

Do you see the difference, mental midget? (why mental midget? same tone of voice you diss out to non-believers!" 🙂

December 24, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Morrison

Hey Nuschler !! You missed my point COMPLETELY !! I WROTE "people who bash God" I didn't SAY ATHIESTS !! You are so freaking defensive. IF YOU CANT AT LEAST READ, STFU!

December 25, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Morrison

Furthermore Mr Fancy MD NUSCHLER, I made no comment about your Atheiest views, nor insults Athiests... I have no problem with your right to be anything. You HOWEVER refer to MY beliefs as "a Fairytail" and accuse me of jamming my beliefs down your throat. Doesn't your PIN HEAD BRAIN realize Yet that you fit PERFECTLY, the DEFINITION of HIPOCRITE ?? YOU also prove that DOCTORS are just as capable of being A- holes as anybody else. Now put that in your pipe and smoke on it for a while. Of course, you won't, that's why you are who you are.

December 25, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. ld

I imagine God not as organized religion tells us but as the bible tells us. When I think of all of this it just does not make sense that there would not be a Creator.

December 23, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. phil

@ybs...Just because they claim to be Christians doesn't mean you must believe that they are. "By their fruits (actions) you will know them (Christians)" said Jesus when asked how one would be able to identify a true Christian. Obviously then, people who "pummeled Indians" aren't really Christians. Why would you think they were?

December 23, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chip

Because they called themselves clergy, wore robes, a crucifix, and carried a bible might be a clue. I agree, I judge people's character by the fruit they produce. I know of several good people that are altruistic in their behavior, help the indigent. love our country, Mom, and apple pie. But do not believe in Jesus and would not call themselves Christian.

December 24, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. carla

God is good all the time. If you dont believe in God, what is it you do believe. Everything happens because God wants it to and he is trying to see which once of us will keep our faith. And in the end most of you will wish that you did believe in him. Cause if you believe in EVIL you have to believe in GOOD.

December 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • ybs

sheep are always sheep

December 24, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
    • J Chaney

Soo Satan is a punish-er or God is? God wants a flood "He" makes it happen but is still good? Why would this God kill people who were not responsible for their own sins. Killing is a bad example. I really don't think just because I thought reindeer could really fly I need to try to re rationalize that to myself due to fear of not receiving an afterlife. A true God-like punishment for de-respecting fellow equal human beings (who will not religiously label themselves for a reward) would be Fools gold. No reward.

December 24, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. ybs

When Christians pummeled American Indians, they also claimed being persecuted! Go figure!

December 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

@Karla...God does allow bad things to happen. But just because he allows it doesn't mean he wants it. God doesn't want Priest's to molest children, for example. But he obviously allows it. So then, the question becomes 'why does God allow bad things to happen to good people'?

December 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ybs

replace "god" with "your/my mom" and everything still holds! Sheep incessantly justify their religion's existence & morality!

There is nothing humble about religions. Good without god is more genuine - less facetious.

December 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. phil

@ybs...what makes you believe these were Christians doing these things?

December 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ybs

Many christians claim that it's christians that built this nation. Can't claim credit and disclaim crimes!

December 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Another interesting thread. Wow.

What I find curious is the fact that both believers/atheists put up billboards. I just find that weird!

Hi, phil! Hi, Cesar! Merry Christmas!

December 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

@phil:

Not touching your "Why does God"... question with a ten foot pole, although I bet you get a ton of answers! 🙂

December 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. truth

The 1st law of thermal dynamics states the conservation of energy..matter cannot be created or destroyed...Big Bang goes out the window..buh bye. Christ was not the first person raised from the dead by GOD ..read the Old Test. Man has free will to follow GOD or not..much evil has been done by those who claim to follow HIM but, followed their own lusts and with those will have harsher condemnation..oh...and light year is not a time but a speed and we all know that its speed can be slowed or hastened by various mean..If you hate GOD thats up to you..but HE won`t drag you into Heaven kicking and screaming..so the choice is yours.....

December 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • ybs

the choice is not there when non-believers are forced down their throats with "so help me god, etc.," mental midget!

December 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nuschler

Dear truth: It seems you flunked basic physics.

A light year is NOT a measure of speed...such as mph. It is a distance!
      1 light year = 9.4605284 × 1015 meters

December 23, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • ybs

Nuschler, pssstt... truth's message needs to appeal to the masses, ~6th grade level! 🙂

December 24, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. phil

HI BANASY! Good to see you again. Have a pleasant holiday and I hope you are around next year! I'm done for this evening so goodnight America! (wherever you went) he he Good night Cesar!

December 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nichole

The beautiful thing about this country is religous freedom. Any American citizen is free to choose what they believe and how they choose to practice thier religion. I believe in God but do not feel the need to go to church to prove it to other people. If the athiests' and christians want to put up billboards right next to each other, they can knock themselves out. But arguing and bickering over a subject that has been debated for thousands of years is not going to acomplish anything. I will however say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year; Happy Holidays offends me. 😉

December 23, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ybs

it's nice to stuff down non-believers' thrrroat with "in god we trust," "so help me god," "under god," etc. eh?

We can't settle with science/humanity, can we – e.g. in science/humanity we trust, etc.?

Believing in "it" has its privileges – subjugating others! Ha, ha, ha... 🙂

December 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

Goodnight, phil, and Cesar, where ever you are. CNN is blocking everything I say tonight. Except this post, I'll bet. Ta!

December 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

Knew it!

December 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

Doctor, heal thyself! Your vitriolic, in-your-face "face it!" style of posting is different from everyone here...how?
    You want to be left alone with your beliefs? You couldn't tell it by anything you've posted here tonight!

December 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |