'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign
December 23rd, 2010

'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign

An atheist billboard on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel that declared Christmas a "myth" has been replaced by a pro-Christian billboard.

The old billboard, put up in late November by the American Atheists organization, said "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason."

The sign stirred controversy among Christian organizations, prompting the Catholic League to erect its own pro-Christmas billboard on the New York side of the tunnel that read, "You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

The new sign, which was posted by the Manhattan-based Times Square Church, reads "God is," and includes a word cloud of religious themes.

Read more about the billboard controversy
Post by:
Filed under: Religion
  1. Daydreamer

Merry Christmas!! I'm a Christian. I don't try to shove my faith on anyone. I want you to see the Spirit in me. If you find me and ask me, I will tell you. I live with joy and blessing, not because I am rich, but, because I can smile, walk and skip through each day. I don't hate non-Christian poeple. My best friend is not a Christian. There are many people who claim to be Christian, who are not. For me, I don't want to be your Savior. I just want to be your guide.

December 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Daydreamer

I don't what you are writing. That's not Christian.

December 24, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Daydreamer

I'm kinda new to this. What I do know is, either you have faith, or you don't. Debating isn't going to help. God wants people to come to him freely, willingly. He's not a circus dog, to come when you call. He will be here, when he come. You didn't hurt my faith because that's not where it lies. By the way, good morning.

December 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jesus

Dude, do you think I should cut my beard off? I mean I know it looks cool and all but some days I just wanna get up and go.

December 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. God

Heck no! Dude you should totally keep it. Besides, chicks dig the beard!

December 24, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

@chip...no, there are plenty of sources besides the bible that prove Jesus was not a make-believe person. Scroll up near the top of this thread and read them for yourself. Thanks for posting.

December 24, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bucksfan

Here is my question for any atheist out there. If you can answer this question with a legitimate answer then I will understand how you can be an atheist. If you can't answer the question, then you must believe in some God/Higher power.

According to SCIENTIFIC revelations, the universe was created by "the big bang". Or, originally the universe was an extremely hot, dense ball of matter and mass, and from that ball of matter and mass, it hence expanded and created EVERYTHING in this universe. This is fine until you look at the law of conservation of mass. another SCIENTIFIC way of explaining things. The law of conservation of mass states that matter and mass can neither be created nor destroyed. So here is my question. If the big bang created everything, where did the matter/mass that caused the big bang come from. Or for that matter, where did the first mass/matter ever come from? it can't be created (According to SCIENTIFIC views) but mass and matter had to come from somewhere.

Science hereby contradicts itself. because its says the big bang created everything, but it offers no explanation to where that original mass and matter came from. The only explanation is that there is a creator who created that mass/matter, and then the big bang happened. But you'll never hear a scientist say there is a creator.

Please, someone answer this for me.

December 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mermc

christians stole and altered 'christmas' from pagans, its yule/winter solstice. along with easter and halloween for example. not to mention the inaccuracy of the time it supposedly happened. the 'christmas' of today is nothing but sales. christians ruin pretty much everything. youre hypocrites, bigots, selfish, rude, oppressing, violent... you kill in 'his' name. you have lost your hearts and the true meaning or you 'religion'. leave it alone.

December 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jesus

Dude im cutting it off!

December 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. God

Go ahead and cut it off. You do kinda look like John Lennon with the beard during his hippie stage! Dude what are u gonna do for your your birthday tomorrow?

December 24, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jesus

I dont know. Im probably just gonna stay in this year and watch It's a Wonderful Life. Once you turn 5 million they all are about the same anyway.

December 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. God

Yeah I hear yah on that. Seems just like yesterday I was only 25 zillion years old! Man time is passin by so quick. Dude, if you want to come over my house tomorrow it's cool. I baked a ham and made some peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips! Plus I got u a present.

December 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jesus

Thank's man! That's really nice. I might come over. Jimmy Stewart is a cool dude and all but ive watched It's a Wonderful Life every year since it came out in 1946. Plus I got it on DVD anyway.

December 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. God

That movie is overrated anyway. My favorite is Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. I totally can relate to Rudolph. I think people sometimes forget just how difficult it is to be different.

December 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |