'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign
December 23rd, 2010

'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign

An atheist billboard on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel that declared Christmas a "myth" has been replaced by a pro-Christian billboard.

The old billboard, put up in late November by the American Atheists organization, said "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason."

The sign stirred controversy among Christian organizations, prompting the Catholic League to erect its own pro-Christmas billboard on the New York side of the tunnel that read, "You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

The new sign, which was posted by the Manhattan-based Times Square Church, reads "God is," and includes a word cloud of religious themes.

Read more about the billboard controversy
Post by:
Filed under: Religion
  1. the Bible

John 8:17,18 "(Jesus answered the Jewish Pharisees:) In your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true; I bear witness to myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness to me."( So Jesus definitely spoke of himself as being an individual seperate and distinct from the Father.)

December 24, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. the Bible

Matthew 26:39: "Going a little farther he (Jesus Christ) fell on his face and prayed, 'My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you wilt.'" (If the Father and the Son were not distinct individuals, such a prayer would be meaningless. Jesus would have been praying to himself, and his will would of necessity have been his Father's will.)

December 24, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jesus

I cut my beard off! I kinda look like Barack Obama without the beard. But my ears are smaller!

December 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. God

I cant believe you cut your beard off!!! LoL! Dude u should go out and see what people say!

December 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jesus

Heck no it's too cold right now! Dude, did u hear about Lindsay Lohan? She got into a fight @ that rehab place.

December 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. God

Yeah I heard Eve talking about it the other day. I cant stand Lindsay Lohan! She has no talent so now she goes around doing stupid stuff so she can keep getting publicity. She wants to be Marilyn Monroe so bad, it's pathetic.

December 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jesus

Dude ive been saying that for the past 2 years! Lindsay even did a photo shoot for this magazine where she poses like Marilyn Monroe did. Well I hope she's having fun because 2011 is gonna be it for her.

December 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. God

I cant wait to get the word that she is dead. She is such a b****! That dying young thing is so pathetic.

December 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jesus

Yeah dying young is sad. You know youre boy's Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson are gonna kick the bucket next year. Dude a lot of people are gonna kick the bucket next year. I couldnt believe it when I saw Brett Favre's name on the list for 2011 incoming angels. I knew he shouldnt have played another season. Oh well, ya gotta go sometime.

December 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. carla

If you believe in hate there is love. If you believe in bad there is good. If you believe in in yourself you believe in fiath and that is all christians are about. It's not about what people say it's about know deep down in your heart that you belong to something greater then any one person can give. Its all about believeing. One day when the end of time comes. If you dont know for sure. Dont you want to make sure you can say I did what you asked God. Or are you willing to take that chanch and say well I really didnt care. It just takes a little fiath. GOD WILL COME AGAIN. Are you ready

December 25, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeb

I do not want to lie. So I will not. If there is a God I think it will respect me. The end of the world seems to only be the end of century old human perception. In the beginning they could only perceive from hand me down stories that we can not prove. Fear of a doomsday seems to ensure need and when one needs another human they can be used. Financial crimes cause problems. The goal is to be right not that anyone person ever started out being right. Automatic credit is taken in arrogance for good and when ones Faith is questioned one fears and gets defensive and mean. I just hope no more of the re interpretations of fellow human conceptions of acceptance and unconditional love gets taken too far where Killing in a super powers name is deemed Justified on any religious grounds. I see that people are angry when some express the things you are not willing to ask for yourself due to Faith and to debate with them is in regards to understanding faith is no more. If they do it and god does nothing and no one can explain where God is it causes too much fear. Faith is a catch all and in its definition can not be broken. So very convenient. Then there is the creation of an Anti Christ. So if anyone tries to see truth in opposition of the great majority there is a reason to fear and hate one who is like that. What so many great thinkers needed way back when is people to believe so great many thinkers from a human level were controlled. There were good intentions for this but when so many things are done in prejudice against non believers you are your own evil creation of justified "love protected" majority. People who have to power to make a non-believer into a crazy going to hell and or powerful anti Christ. Pressuring yourselves to get everyone to believe the same so your not alone.

December 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kian

"You know it's real. This season celebrate Jesus."

Right, let's breakdown how real 'Christmas' really is a Christian holiday, shall we?

1) The origin of the carols and greetings -> Yuletide
    2) The origin of wreaths and decking the halls with holly -> Wiccans
    3) The origin of kissing under the mistletoe -> Druidism
    4) The origin of decorating a Saturnalia tree in your home -> Belief in the god Saturn
    5) The origin of sound of hooves on your rooftop -> Belief in Sleipnir, Odin's flying 8-legged horse
    6) The origin of a visitor bringing gifts at night -> Belief in Thor, Odin or St Nicholas
    7) The origin of celebrating the Sun's rebirth on December 25 -> Belief in Mithra (600 BC)

This ancient holiday has been renamed to Christ's Mass because of Jesus' birthday. Which, ironically is wrong because Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. This effectively torpedoes the "You know it's real" slogan. December 25 is no "reason to celebrate Jesus".

December 25, 2010 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
    • J Chaney

Especially as Truth.

December 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • geraldh

Simple minds come up with such nonsense. God made the days in which the Son restores light to the earth. He made the mistletoe and the materials for the wreath. We celbrate his Son Jesus and reclaim creation for him on that day. He knows our hearts and minds. Only simpletons come up with such nonsense as you have.

December 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. hsd enough

Everyone has the right to believe what they want. But the fact is that this world is coming to an end SOON. You would have to be blind not to see what condition its in. Too many people, not enough food, more and more earthquakes, earths axis has shifted what 2or3 inches from the Chilie quake. If you dont believe you need to look closer, Bible prophecy is coming true before your eyes and when it gets here ? Well spending an eternity in hell isnt the way to find out. Not for me anyway. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

December 25, 2010 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
    • TOM SAWYER

If you really believe the world is coming to an end can I have your stuff?

December 27, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jesus

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

December 25, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. i love jesus

whatever helps you sleep at night. but getting angry at someone else's belief is like getting mad at what they chose to be their fav color. it has no influence on you so why not mind yours and yours alone? 🙂

December 25, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. God

Dude I want some waffles.

December 25, 2010 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |