'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign
December 23rd, 2010

'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist sign

An atheist billboard on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel that declared Christmas a "myth" has been replaced by a pro-Christian billboard.

The old billboard, put up in late November by the American Atheists organization, said "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason."

The sign stirred controversy among Christian organizations, prompting the Catholic League to erect its own pro-Christmas billboard on the New York side of the tunnel that read, "You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

The new sign, which was posted by the Manhattan-based Times Square Church, reads "God is," and includes a word cloud of religious themes.

Read more about the billboard controversy
Post by:
Filed under: Religion
  1. Mary

Im not a virgin anymore.

December 25, 2010 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. jesus is Santa Claus for grownups

JESUS IS NOT REAL.

December 25, 2010 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
    • TOM SAWYER

I think you have it backwards. God is Santa for grownups.

December 27, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lucifer

Is it me or is it getting hot in here? I guess its me!

December 25, 2010 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. God

I GOT MY WAFFLE'S!

December 25, 2010 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jesus

I'm already starting to have second thoughts about shaving my beard off.

December 25, 2010 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Moon

I find math and physics to be totally God as much as faith is. And I'm clergy. Someone mentioned the illusion that science and God are separate and mutually exclusive. I agree that's a myth. There's nothing incompatible between God and science except that human minds make it so. It's just hard for some human minds to perceive together as two non competing truths. As many have shared, plenty of the greatest scientific minds were and are deep believers. Newton and Einstein went looking for God. They found calculus and physics. They knew there was nothing wrong about where they ended up and never lost their faith in God.

December 25, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. hsd enough

For all of you that make jokes that is your right. I just hope that God will have mercy on you and you wont have to find out just how hot it is going to get. I feel sorry for you that dont believe but we all have a choice dont we ?

December 25, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chrismyth Carol

Stop the insanity of belief in myths and living in fear of invisible characters, created only to control your mind and your life!
    Please celebrate REASON this season! Learn about religious history, it's a real awakening!
    I promise you, reality is awesome!

December 25, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jesus

It's all good in the hood.

December 25, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. God

Who do u guys think would win in a fight? Me or Superman. And remember I can fly too!

December 25, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jesus

Sorry dude, im going with Superman on this one. Superman has saved millions of people and a few cats who got stuck in trees. You havent done anything yet and you only have like 5 people left who believe in you.

December 25, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Superman

Dont feel bad god. I think a few people still believe in you and Santa. LoL!

December 25, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jesus

I feel like chicken tonight.

December 25, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. carla

So to the guy who wront about mass and matter. I never thought of that but it is ture. My 11year old son told that to me. He said to his 5th gread techer that what if God caused the Big Bag. I dont know much about what you are talking about but now I can tell my son to ask his teacher about where did the mass and matter come from if God didnt do it. THANKS. I will pray for all of you who dont believe. One day you will wish you did.

December 25, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. carla

Dont you guys watch movies the GOOD guys win every time. So im going to stick it with my good friends

December 25, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |