TSA: Air travelers to see more insulated beverage security measures
December 23rd, 2010

TSA: Air travelers to see more insulated beverage security measures

CNN confirms from the TSA that air travelers may observe additional security measures related to insulated beverage containers. The TSA is carefully monitoring information related to terrorist tactics and working with their international partners to share information and security best practices.

1. Sidewinder

@ banasy. There is a middle ground, it's just difficult to get a foothold at times.
    People have a choice. I'm a firm believer that just because the government says so, does not make it true. That being said; These TSA employees are doing their job. Like anyone else there are good ones, bad ones, and some that are probably better at it altogether that don't make it a rotten experience.
    If I'm required to start carrying papers then I would draw comparisons to Nazi Germany and call up the ACLU. When we fly we know what we're in for. I'm not making a big deal about it unless that scan gives us all some kind of ear cancer we've never heard of.
    A TSA agent is like a gyno if you frame it in those terms. They do it everyday, and I'm sure they're sick of seeing/doing it, but it's their job. When any new procedure is implemented and enforced, it's always off to a rocky start.

December 24, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sidewinder

@moon

Food for thought, though.
    If there are threats against Americans and other people traveling within the US, the Dept of Homeland Security will always take additional measures to keep safe. No president wants a catastrophe on his watch. The funds will always come from somewhere, and in an unlimited supply.

December 24, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sidewinder

@moon
    Food for thought, though.

December 24, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sidewinder

@moon; The UK uses some sort of sound waves to determine if the subject has anything concealed on their person. They've been using this different technology for a while, and as far as I've followed it, it's harmless. Forgive me for I do not know what it's called. I should have looked it up first. Food for thought, though.

December 24, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sidewinder

Crap, sorry guys!!

December 24, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

TSA is the new Gestapo

December 24, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mark Montgomery

The TSA is very unprofessional and is running around with its head cut off, grabbing at straws when the reality is that airline passenger terrorism is almost non-existent. The jihadists are laughing at us and they revel in the torture we are subjecting the flying public to. They have already won by degrading the quality of our lives and it will only get worse. Eventually you will have to go through a full body scan just to get into a high rise building. So far the trains are the best way to travel but the first time somebody blows up an Amtrak train the fist will come down and we will have to take off our shoes and belts and suffer physical searches in train stations. Our culture of "security" is suicidal. Mark Montgomery NYC, NY boboberg@nyc.rr.com

December 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. USMC Ret.

TSA makes no sence to me sometimes. A buddy of mine is in the Army National Guard. When his unit was deploying they were allowed to board he plane with their firearms(unloaded of course). They were also told they would NOT!!! Be allowed to board with their pocket knives. Where is the sence in that???

December 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Reasonable in VA

Someone here suggested separate planes for those that want all the (IMHO) insane security measures and those that do not. This seems very reasonable to me. Personally I am zero, ZERO percent concerned about someone trying to blow up a plane I am on. I am also zero concerned that anyone will ever be able to hijack a plane ever again with a pair of nail clippers, a file, a box-cutter, a sharp pencil, etc. Do any of you out there really think a plane load of people is going to allow themselves to be hijaked with some sharp objects, knowing that the likely result is being flown into a building or the ground? As for explosives, well I am 1000% more concerned that a plane will be blown out of the auir with a SAM than I am that some nutjob basement chemisty is going to manufacture a bomb on board, or blow the plane to bits with his underwear. So all of you that go through life afraid of your shadow get in that TSA lack-of-security-makes-you-feel-like-something-is-actually-being-done line and ride with a plane full of fellow sheeple, and let the rest of us live a normal life.

December 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. meee!

BOOOM! scared ya didnt i? 1st amendment im protected

December 24, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. meee

Put these TSA clowns back on the welfare dole where they found em

December 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. This is ridiculous - BE WARNED - it happened to me!

BE PREPARED and BE INFORMED!!! I am a frequent and experienced flyer who i fully aware of the inconsistencies and idiocies of TSA screening experiences. On 01/Jan/11 – I was carrying an empty plastic bottle (not insulated in any way), as I had done on 2 previous flights during this trip, and was told by CLT- TSA employees that the bottle had to undergo additional screening. Had I known that the updated TSA policy was for insulated bottles/containers I would have objected at the time. Upon my questioning, the TSA employee insisted there would be no chemicals in contact with my water bottle but I have no proof of this. My container tested "positive" for whatever it was being screened. When asked what the test was for the TSA employee told me it "just tested positive for 'residues' and would give me no additional information despite my repeated request. I was then subjected to a body "wipe-down" which again tested positive for these "residues" and was told all of my belongings would then be "wiped". No private room was available to search and "wipe" my belongings and be it that this was now the time that my connecting flight was beginning boarding, I agreed to have my items displayed to the public while they were "wiped" and again tested positive for unknown "residues". I again asked why my items were being searched and was told by two TSA employees, "We are just following procedures." I was then escorted to a private screening room (without permission to put my shoes on again) where a different TSA employee gave me an additional "wipe-down" while the first TSA employee watched. This also showed a "positive test" for said undisclosed items. The TSA employees then asked for my Passport, had me right my home address and phone number on a random pieces of paper and said they would be contacting their manager. Their behaviors indicated they had no clue what to do next. All this time I am asking what TSA's policy is in regard to causing a customer to miss a connecting flight and whom would be putting me up in a hotel when I missed my flight. I was told by both of these TSA employees that this was not TSA's problem. I repeatedly asked what the time was to be fully aware of how long my time was wasted while we all waited for some manager to "decide what to do next". I waited 15minutes before an unidentified male official entered the screening room and asked me "what is going on here." I replied something similar to "I'm pretty sure you're here to tell us that because no one seems to know what happens next." That official asked one of the TSA employees in the screening room to leave with him and had a conversation outside. Meanwhile another unidentified male official came in to the screening room to ask about what I did while on my vacation and if I have a job that includes using chemicals. Shortly later he then left the screening room and I was left with the original TSA employee. I again repeatedly asked what time it was and if the employees could call the gate for my connecting flight or call for a cart to assist me in getting to the gate ASAP. Less than 5 minutes later I was told I was "free to go". Rather than saying "are you kidding me!!!!!!????" I asked again if someone could call the gate or call for a cart to assist me and was told "we can't help". It was now 30minutes since my initial attempt to make it through TSA screening. I started running down the hallway toward my gate and was able to stop an airport cart driver and beg for assistance in getting me to the gate. Thankfully, passengers on the connecting flight were stalling at the gate to help their travel companions make it in time as well. Besides having my items searched without being given an answer to "due cause", as well as having my body fully "wiped down" twice, I am most upset by the fact that TSA employees who are "following procedures" need to be fully informed about how to identify said "insulated containers" per the new policy on their website as this was NOT an insulated bottle. Additionally, if I was thus, "cleared to go" after being delayed 25minutes and had I missed my connecting flight, I FIRMLY FEEL THAT TSA should be responsible for paying any flight changing fees or required hotel stays as a result of this delay as I was deemed "not a threat" and "let go". Thus, this screening, while a procedure being used with items I was NOT carrying, ended by identifying me and my item as a NON-threat and the TSA policy and employees would have been responsible for my missed connection.

I can only assume that I am now on some "watch list" and will be subjected to additional inane screenings on future flights. Had I not cared about making my flight I would have stayed to speak with a TSA manager and the airport customer service and insisted that I receive the paper with my name, passport number, address, and phone number back from the TSA employee. I have since filed a complaint with TSA, Homeland Security and will pursue a complaint with the ACLU.

January 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Grady Turell

Gynecomastia is caused by excessive estrogen actions and is often the result of an increased ratio of estrogen to androgen. In approximately 25% of cases, the cause of gynecomastia is unknown.,;.'

My own internet page http://www.healthwellnesslab.comfz

June 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |