December 25th, 2010

Tsunami warning issued after strong quake in Pacific Ocean

A 7.6-magnitude earthquake struck in the Pacific Ocean's Vanuatu Islands region early Sunday, prompting a tsunami warning for the area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake struck 135 kilometers (85 miles) west of the island of Tanna, Vanuatu and 1,740 kilometers (about 1,100 miles) off Australia's eastern coast just after midnight local time (8:16 a.m. ET).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a regional warning for a part of the Pacific, including Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours," the center said. "Authorities in the region should take appropriate action in response to this possibility."

The tsunami warning did not include the U.S. state of Hawaii, though some coastal areas of the islands could experience very rough seas and strong currents.

Post by:
Filed under: Weather
  1. GodHimSelf

O yeah I forgot, Jesus is telling me that you're all wrong about his apperance. He has cinnamon coloured skin, has a family, but more importantly says:'Don't remember me as someone hanging on a cross for eternity, but as someone who enjoyed life and also was a human like all of you, which meant, drinking the wine lavishly, after the ladies for some periods and all that human drama.

Ok now I'm really gone.

Merry Christmass

(I was never here by the way)

December 25, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • yumi

Yo GodHimSelf......Jesus has black skin !! Black !! When are u going to accept it ??

December 25, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Lol, don't forget the wooly hair!

December 25, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. hsd enough

Ethel i can sum up YOUR problem in 3 words. YOUR AN IDIOT.

December 25, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • whatulookinat

Your an idiot. Hahaha. It's "you're", idiot.

December 25, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. TP Snow

Its the beginning times....Yay!

December 25, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tanya

Jesus must be eager to come back to Earth. It must have been quite boring and chilly to be sitting on the right-hand side of God for 2000 years in that
    freezing cosmic space.

December 25, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. rex edie

"And to all...... a ggg oooo dddd Night".....happy ...dellusions....to you .....yeee hhaaa....!!!!! "gunnit"...

December 25, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Wzrd1

Let's hope any tsunami is as severe as the last one that hit Hawaii. A little beach erosion...

December 25, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. keystone

....between the earthquake in the Pacific and the polluted water in Hawaii I'd say they are trying to dump Obama...lets face it ...every time he rents a vacation house i.e. Martha's Vineyard and .Kaila Bay Hawaii... the water out side his door becomes contaminated...I think they are trying to discourage him from coming to their town and villages...I dont believe that Obama is welcomed their or anywhere ...after all he did lose the House by almost 70% of the American voters.....lets face it would you want him staying in your house...I wouldn't

December 25, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. CanNorth

Earthquakes increased by 200% in 30 years? Can't say I agree with you on that seeing as you just put some numbers together. Maybe 30 years ago we finally designed technology to monitor Earthquakes better in oceans, depth, etc?
    And why are people arguing about religion, nothing here about religion. Anyways Merry Christmas.

December 25, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Grammar king

Youre

December 25, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Francie

I don't believe in god and was raised catholic. I am in the Agnostic/Ambiguous category but I do believe that we will be reunited with those we lost. People who don't believe in god are just as important as those that do. There are great actors, writers, theorists, and scientists who are either atheist or share simialr beliefs as me. I would like to see people not be so mean. With that said, I hope everyone being affected by this eart quake in the Pacific are safe. Happy Holidays to eveyone. (sorry for typos 🙂 )

December 25, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. coffeeandtea

If God does exist, why does he punish innocent people by making them die in Tsunamis, accidents, Concentration Camps, mines, and more. Further, why does God save miners from Chile but allows miners from New Zealand to die? Does God like Chile better than New Zealand. Why? Why does God allow this? There is no God. God is a myth created long ago to make sense of the world. Now we have science to explain things. God does not exist. Do you God believers pray to Zeus? Do you God believers pray to Zoroaster? Why? Are those Gods any better than yours? Why are they better? God does not exist. Stop fooling yourself. Even more – stop allowing your blindness to influence science in schools, and stop allowing your ridiculous beliefs to influence politics. Belief in God creates a regression of knowledge and cultural advancement. How about the children who die everyday from lack of clean water? God must hate them just as he hates the 230,000 innocent people who died in the Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami of 2004.

December 25, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Francie

I 100% agree with your first 2 sentences but I disagree with you attacking those who believ in god as being ridiculous and political. Come on, don't be mean and lets just respect others belief in christianity. They believ in god and he has better plans for those that lost their innocent lives. We should be nice and accepting of our beliefs. I don't believ in god because if there was a god then my Dad would not be in the last stage of Dementia at a young age and he would have been able to enjoy Christmas. Lets just be nice and accept our differences. I think that the christians are the biggest hypocrites but I won't hold it against them. I do want them to be happy and safe on this day that we celebrate Jesus's birth. BTW your comment reminded me of an ex-boyfriend something he would write. Happy Holidays to everyone and I hope those in the Pacific are safe! Sorry for typos 🙂

December 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lament

The Lord allows these things to happen because of sin, my friend. If you break the law in your country you pay the consequences. If you sin against the Lord you also pay the consequences. The wages of "sin" is death. The Lord says all have sinned against him and all deserve death. But your reasoning can't stand because the Lord provided a way out, that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will be saved and forgiven and have everlasting life. So if God allows the whole world to die that's doesn't matter, that's the first death. The second death is what you should be concerned about, this is your eternal punishment (jail time) for rejecting your savior Jesus.

December 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • coffeeandtea

Yes, Lament, I do reject the Lord as my saviour. In fact, I absolutely, reject everything you say. You speak the words of an insane person.

December 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Witness 3

I will pray for you. And I forgive you for the poisonous blasphemy that pours from your mouth. May God have mercy on your soul.

December 25, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Great krishna

Great Lord Krishna spoke about a human being's Karma and nature(god).

The greatest philosopher Brahmam wrote about tsunamis and end of world days

December 25, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. BC

How does one beliefs has anything to with this news? Shouldn't we be conerned more about these people and there families right and hope that nothing comes about from this quake. We all know the type of damage a quake can cause. So let's focus on the people and not attack ones belief.

December 25, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Francie

I agree and I think this is getting too mean for me. I don't believe in god and proud of it. I hope that everyone is ok in the Pacific and they can enjoy the holidays. It's sad that an earthquake happened in the Pacific on Christmas again. I really hope all is ok.

December 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. yyyy

y in the chrismas??????????????????? again

December 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lil hitla

I blame jews for this I bet they're profiting off this earthquake some howfurther more there are probably gay muslims in this area so that's why they are getting a tsunamie for christmas

God bless 'merica