December 25th, 2010

Tsunami warning issued after strong quake in Pacific Ocean

A 7.6-magnitude earthquake struck in the Pacific Ocean's Vanuatu Islands region early Sunday, prompting a tsunami warning for the area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake struck 135 kilometers (85 miles) west of the island of Tanna, Vanuatu and 1,740 kilometers (about 1,100 miles) off Australia's eastern coast just after midnight local time (8:16 a.m. ET).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a regional warning for a part of the Pacific, including Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours," the center said. "Authorities in the region should take appropriate action in response to this possibility."

The tsunami warning did not include the U.S. state of Hawaii, though some coastal areas of the islands could experience very rough seas and strong currents.

Post by:
Filed under: Weather
  1. lil hitla

Looks like god didn't give francie the power of spell check

December 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Francie

I know but maybe I commited the sin of not believing in him. Or maybe because I am lazy and tired because I was up all night taking care of my Dad who is terminally ill and had to shovel snow early this morning and I am exhausted. Oh well! Thanx for pointing out the obvious. Happy Holidays to all and I hope all is ok in the Pacific.

December 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. miami71

You are all certifiable.

December 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mr. Salam

Clearly...as we can here...we are the future and so we leave these who are truly disadvantaged behind...2012?

December 25, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jerry

It's not 2012 yet. Relax people.

December 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The st¡t

There are no athiest on a fallen plane. But that doesnt define whether or not there is a god.... People have thier beliefs and faith, and faith is just believing in something and hoping. The bible was written by the same people that claimed the earth was flat. Hmmmmm!!!!! And I'm not so sure about this one, how can jesus have his name if the letter j was around when he was born!!!!!

December 25, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. coffeeandtea

I suppose this Tsunami is also Obama's fault. I know some idiotic TEABAGGER can make some line of reasoning to connect how Obama is the one to blame for this Tsunami. Let's hear it TEABAGGERS!

December 25, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ryan

The rate of earthquakes have not risen its the same amount of quakes we get every year however the size of the quakes have significantly risen its normal to be in the 3 area but the have risen to 6 7 area which seems to only increase

December 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The st¡t

If you ever want a good arguement, you can always talk about, sports, politict, or religons. And I'm always up for a good debate.... GO CANES, GO BUCS GO HEAT GO MARLINS, AND GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!

December 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Francie

Ditto with your response to Lament.

December 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Witness 3

Cold is the absence of heat. Darkness is the absence of light. Evil is the absence of God. Without the belief in God, evil will spread across the earth. The world is corrupt and will not stand a chance when the prophecies are fulfilled

December 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Celyia

Someone with sense and moral courage. It's good to see. As for Witness... Evil is not the absence of God. Evil is the absence of kindness and compassion. I don't need a book or a set of laws inscribed on stone to tell me that murder is wrong or not to cheat. Kindness is the book by which I live.

A lot of these replies I see here are kind of shocking. Whatever happened to the love that Jesus taught above all else? Just because someone walks a different path from you doesn't mean that path is less worthy. God made them and while you may not see the wisdom in that creation, it really isn't up to you to judge. How can you call yourself a true believer while you second-guess God?

December 26, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Magnus

You idiots who don't believe in God better get a clue before its too late for your sorry ass.

December 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sukhbir

What fitting words from a believer in God. A great and shining example of a fanatic!

December 25, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jesus IS Real

Those of you that don't believe in Jesus (Yeshua) will come to know that He is real and His word is true! You still have time to get to know Him and to know that He loves ALL and only ask that you accept Him as the one true GOD that died for your sins!

You were not evolved from an ape...just think if that were true then why aren't there more apes turning to human in this age. You are not an alien if that were true then why aren't you teleporting back to your planet or doing what sci-fi would expect you to do. You are not an atom that evolved...please. God created you in His image and loves you as a child and hopes that you will recognize the treasure that He gives and that is Life and to have it more abundantly. We are not to look to actors or idols for our value, we are to look to Him and find our worth.

You will know whether you give your life to Christ or not....There will be a time that you will know.

December 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sunshineNb

God does exist!! And these Are the end times!!! Just as it explains in the bible!! My prayers go out to them all!!

December 25, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Davie W.

Those with faith, no proof of God is needed. Thoses without faith, no amount of proof is ever enough.

December 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Know What

If "God" were real and All-Knowing as is claimed, it would know *exactly* what proof each one of us would need. If it is All-Loving, as is also claimed, it would provide this proof freely, and not just leave the ambiguous trail of breadcrumbs that we have now.

December 25, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • believe

I BELIEVE the word is called Faith....Look it up and learn something.

December 25, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Know What

I have Faith that my tin-foil hat will protect me from aliens...

December 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. believe

This (Believers or not) is the reason this world is in trouble. I worry for my childrens future. You people have no sense of respect for others. You get on a Website and type insults and bash other peoples beliefs. Who really cares what YOU believe. This is not the topic of the article. What losers. I dont worry about you going to Heaven or Hell, I worry about the future of humanity with idiots like you. Thats right, hide behind your keyboard and bash others on a day which might mean a lot to some people. The direction this world is headed is sad, because of fools like yourselves.

December 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Witness 3

Well put believe.... Impressive. I couldn't have said better myself. Merry Christmas everyone. Be safe.

December 25, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. james

God works in mysterious ways....like mad mysterious.

December 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |