December 25th, 2010

Tsunami warning issued after strong quake in Pacific Ocean

A 7.6-magnitude earthquake struck in the Pacific Ocean's Vanuatu Islands region early Sunday, prompting a tsunami warning for the area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake struck 135 kilometers (85 miles) west of the island of Tanna, Vanuatu and 1,740 kilometers (about 1,100 miles) off Australia's eastern coast just after midnight local time (8:16 a.m. ET).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a regional warning for a part of the Pacific, including Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours," the center said. "Authorities in the region should take appropriate action in response to this possibility."

The tsunami warning did not include the U.S. state of Hawaii, though some coastal areas of the islands could experience very rough seas and strong currents.

Post by:
Filed under: Weather
  1. D

I AM SO SICK OF GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. prove it!

... If god DOES exist, its on you to prove it. and im not talking about saying things like "just look around" or "the world is a miracle" or "look how earth is so perfectly suited for the human race" ... No, im talking real proof. Show me something that truly says, UNEQUIVOCALLY that all the pain and suffering is truly part of some bigger picture.... Otherwise, we're all worm food and thats all there is to it.

December 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dave

Ahhh – now it's clear. Wonder were I to leaf through the Big Ol book if I'd find a quick fix for my leaky toilet?
    Only seems fair doesn't it?

December 25, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David

earthquakes are in fact proof of the end of days, but like most people realize, earthquakes have been around long before any granparent of ours was born...or even earlier. What most people don't realize is that earthquakes today are very different from earlier time periods. We have bigger devistation, including Haiti, and all over the world recently. They have become closer together, and much bigger in size. A lot of people rule it out with some science explanation, like "tectonic plates", but any sort of religious person can tell you otherwise. God is very real, and so is the end of times. This isn't just something spoken of by the homeless guy, that uses God as an excuse to get your money. Let's all try to celebrate Christmas the way God intended it to be.....

December 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gsk

All you who claim god exists... please prove it.. if you can't then your claim is as valid as stating that fairies exist..

December 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Alright, gsk, go to a mirror and look at thyself. And wonder why your eyes aren't in the back of your head and your nose didn't randomized to your elbow. If all energies and matter tend to its lowest form and to disorder. Molecules go from highest concentration to lowest. These thing are basic facts about potential energy of all things. Therefore, it energy to maintain order. For example you can stack tennis balls upon another as long as it is in a can, or held in place by another force aka energy. Remove the can or force the tennis balls will fall to the lowest form of energy and scatter in disarray aka lack order. The source of that order and creation of that order comes from God. Every principle discover reinforces that there is a God. For man did not create that principle of order. Nature also cannot take credit for in itself if left to it's inherent qualities tend in itself to disorder. The symmetry of your features is held in check by the DNA template upon which the body and its features are ordered, otherwise, you could have a nose on the elbow or maybe none at all. The DNA is an ordered priinciple for reproducing the consistent features design by God for humanity and its reproduction. To state that creation is random is just plain stupid and ignorance. Even Enstein gives credit that there is a God.

December 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. will R

So you say there is no God, prove it. The bible says even demons believe in God and tremble. It also says he who says ther is no God is a fool. Also the person who says to leave the heathen alone I have to say you do not know the heart or lovee of our heavenly father. He sent His Son to die for the heathen. I pray the Holy Spirit would bring conviction upon you. Sorry to hear of the family member with the disease on Xmas. But I tell you in love God did not do this to your family member He is a good God. The lord Jesus bore sickness & disease on his body.( Isaiah 53) If you study God's word He redeemed us from all of that thru Jesus! No if people believe there is a God or not????? We all will stand before him one day. I beg of you come to Jesus come to Jesus!!! He loves you just the way you are. He said in Matt. 11:28-30 come to me all who are weary and burdeened and I will give you rest. receive the love of God!! You don't go to hell because of your a sinner you go because you reject Christ payment for Sin!!

December 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Know What

"So you say there is no God, prove it."

No... it is the responsibility of the one claiming a fact to prove it.

If I claim that I have an invisible green monkey sitting on my head, I must prove it... there is no way for you to absolutely disprove a claim of an intangible fact.

December 25, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. wiill r

I believe some say there is no God, because if you say there is then you have to submitt to HIM!! You say prove it my testomony is prove. We need to experience God. All of the unbelievers I love you and care about your eternal dwelling place. Do me one favor humble your self and get in a quiet place and ask God to reveal Himself to you. God resist the proud but gives grace to th humble.

December 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moe

will said 🙂

December 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tboy

This shows us all what a great and free country we all live in here in the USA. Where else can you speak so freely about what we all believe in. This debate can and will go on forever, but I thank the men and women who gave everything to fight for our right to express ourselves so freely here.

Bless them, they will never be forgotten. Merry Christmas to all!

December 25, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • KT

Absolutely!!

December 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I'll definitely agree with that statement. If you were in Pakistan or some other YouName-istan, you'd be on death row by now!

December 25, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KT

I feel really bad for all the people in the warning area. Prayers are with them all. As far as the God debate goes, believe in him or not...that's a personal choice and one that a person shouldn't be condemned for. I am a Christian and can't for the life f me understand fellow Christians who are so hateful to people who aren't. That is NOT what we are taught to behave like. I can just imagine God wanting to smack his forehead when a Christian acts like that. That's just turning people away from Him. Jesus is called many different names all over the world. It doesn't matter as long as you're saved and try your best to be good. The rest is just details. I hate to see so many non believers but I don't think badly of them at all. No one should. They're informed adults and have every right to make that choice. One last thing, God tells us not tosit around and try to determine when the world will end. He says no one knows but Him. Jesus described Heaven as "Paradise" and that's good enough for me not to be scared. Yes the Bible has been translated and changed over the years but that's where faith comes in. Believe or not, it's a personal choice. PS sorry if there's any typos, my iPhone won't let me go back and change them. Merry Christmas everyone!

December 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

@KT the real misery is to walk into their homes so dark and empty without life, lacking happiness and joy. But their medicine cabinets are full of addictions to deaden the melancholy of their unbeliefs.

December 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

I know that GaGa is a P. I. G, pig.

December 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bm

Hope the waves don't reach land. Best wishes, everyone.

December 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Paul D

KT,true. Only God himself knows when the end will be. Jesus nor the angels know, nor does any human. Matthew 24:36 states "Concerning that day and hour nobdy knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father."

December 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Paul D

Mmmmm, I enjoyed your post concerning energy and Einstein. Many scientists believe in God but keep quiet about it for fear of reprisal, for their fellow scientists attack them just as non-believers attack believers on this blog and it might cost them their jobs.

December 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. USGS

The United States Geological Survey reports that the USA rarely experiences major earthquakes. The frequency of smaller mid-range earthquakes, our most common, has increased about 50% in just the past ten years. From less than one thousand in 1999 to nearly 1500 last year.

December 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Package Master

based on the above, I've come to the conclusion that there is no hope for this world.

December 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |