Teena Marie's death sends twinge through Twitter
December 26th, 2010

Teena Marie's death sends twinge through Twitter

The death of award-winning singer-songwriter Teena Marie hit the Twitterverse hard Sunday night.

The first tweet about the singer’s death hit the popular microblogging site around 8:30 p.m.

In an hour’s time, Marie's name was the top trending topic, with condolences being tweeted from around the world.

“I can't believe Teena Marie died. I'm super sad,” tweeted user HopeVann.

Sunday night, a number of celebrities with contacts in entertainment pitched in to form a composite of Marie's untimely passing.

In the early going, drummer Sheila E tweeted: “They just took her body from her home. Teena Marie found dead by her daughter whos BD was yesterday. pray 4 her & her family.”

The message was retweeted more than 100 times within minutes.

Minutes later, CNN contributor Roland Martin got a hold of Marie’s manager and confirmed it.

"Mike Gardner, the manager of @teenamarie, just told me that it is true: the legendary R&B singer has indeed died," Martin tweeted.

Tremors of Marie's passing also hit Facebook and other popular social networking sites.

“No cause of death has been provided ... . Her manager, Mike Gardner, said her body is at the coroner's office,” Martin later tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Showbiz • Twitter
  1. Derrick

Yes people that is Teena Marie. People do age you know.

December 26, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

Its funny how that whole aging process works...

December 27, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. HARRIET DOWDEN

SUCH TALENT WILL NEVER DIE. REST IN PEACE TM

December 26, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. machined1

Why are people leaving nasty messages when you should be leaving your blessings and condolences for a taken soul who showered this world with her gifts. If you are not a fan why comment? I will always have memories of her voice. RIP.

December 26, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

?

December 27, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike D

....because they have no class and are inappropriate. Retards with poor timing.

December 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pw

Rip teena, we will miss your voice!! My favorite teena marie song was portuguese love

December 26, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.J. G. Smooth

My condolences to her family as well. My favorite Lady T. songs are L.O.V.I.N. and Young Love. Her music was among my first music purchases growing up. Many awesome memories. God bless her family, her friends, and her millions of fans. RIP.

December 28, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. wendy johnson

Beautiful songstress that i loved and will dearly miss! love u baby! My prayers are with your family!

December 26, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dee Dee

My best goes out to the family of Teena Maria may god bless u in your time of mourning she will be truly miss.

December 26, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pat Lyons

Rest in peace Lady T. I will miss you. You brought so much joy in my heart growing up. You were truly one of the greats!!

December 26, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Karen

One of the best female R&B singers hands down; one of my favorite artist. We've lost one of "our" Queens. My prayers are with the family. Ms. Marie is in the arms of angels now.

December 26, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marcelino

de ja vu is the classic I love. I will play it tonight and I will always play it. Thank you for your beautiful music Lady T. RIP ( ;

December 26, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tina

R.I.P. Lady T. One of my favorite artist. You will be truly missed. Queen of Soul

December 26, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. janelle

So hurt n devastated by teena marie's passing. I was 1st introduced 2 her @ about age 5..when I heard fire n desire wit her n rick james..and frm then on I was in love with her. She will truly be missed

December 26, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Barb

So sad – she had the voice of an angel!!!!!

December 27, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. NuOrlns

CNN should stand for Crazy News Network – they get more crap wrong in news reporting Wikipedia. A 5th grader would know to double check your double checks.

December 27, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

Did you hit your head?

December 27, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. NuOrlns

I am a 42 year old freak – I've made a lotta babies to that womans voice. Who would be a good choice to play her in a movie?

December 27, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

Gross! You need a hobby man!

December 27, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. The Batchelor

A major part of my childhood sound track is gone now. Thank you Lady T for your music. "Portugese Love" will always play in my heart.

December 27, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |