Teena Marie's death sends twinge through Twitter
December 26th, 2010

Teena Marie's death sends twinge through Twitter

The death of award-winning singer-songwriter Teena Marie hit the Twitterverse hard Sunday night.

The first tweet about the singer’s death hit the popular microblogging site around 8:30 p.m.

In an hour’s time, Marie's name was the top trending topic, with condolences being tweeted from around the world.

“I can't believe Teena Marie died. I'm super sad,” tweeted user HopeVann.

Sunday night, a number of celebrities with contacts in entertainment pitched in to form a composite of Marie's untimely passing.

In the early going, drummer Sheila E tweeted: “They just took her body from her home. Teena Marie found dead by her daughter whos BD was yesterday. pray 4 her & her family.”

The message was retweeted more than 100 times within minutes.

Minutes later, CNN contributor Roland Martin got a hold of Marie’s manager and confirmed it.

"Mike Gardner, the manager of @teenamarie, just told me that it is true: the legendary R&B singer has indeed died," Martin tweeted.

Tremors of Marie's passing also hit Facebook and other popular social networking sites.

“No cause of death has been provided ... . Her manager, Mike Gardner, said her body is at the coroner's office,” Martin later tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Showbiz • Twitter
  1. leclark12

Teena Marie will truly be missed, but her music will live on for years to come.

December 27, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. ekai

"A major part of my childhood sound track is gone now. Thank you Lady T for your music. "Portugese Love" will always play in my heart."..I AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT
    Ekai

December 27, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Keesha

She was an amazing talent and will definitely be missed. She was young too, only 54. Shame. R.I.P. Teena Marie

December 27, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. KTWinATL

RIP Lady T.

December 27, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. rumrunner

fire and desire, fire and desire baby! thank you, Lady T !

December 27, 2010 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pat

Really Great Artist and Soul Sister Incognito.

December 27, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. luemee

Simply beautiful talent will be missed

December 27, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ahnjayla T Anofils

Wow, i'm lost for words! My prayers and thoughts go out to the family. Another angel has gone home...Lady T, truly missed, but never will you be forgotten! I'm only 33yrs old and can and will always be able to recite ALL your greatest hits...verbatim! I'll keep singing and requesting to hear those hits until i'm not able to sing, talk, or hear! R.I.P. TEENA!

December 27, 2010 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. mys68

Sutler- I can only surmise that someone who makes retarded comments in response to those who want to leave their respects for Teena's pasting is a unemployed jerk who stills lives in their momma's basement and only know women whose first name is blowup. Bet this is sounding very familiar to you!!!

Teena's pasting may have affected you if you have ever loved and lost. I guess it means nothing for you since you just paid.

December 27, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

Hey, Tipper Gore, who asked you to chime in. Now go sit down. 😛

December 27, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. jt

Slow Dragged many a night to "Fire and Desire"... Good grinding music!
    Danced many a wee morning to "I Need Your Lovin" and other great tracks. I will miss you and God Bless!

December 27, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

Slow dragged?

You hippy pot head! Just say no to Teena!

December 27, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Sutler, you're so out of it...slow dragged is not weed...it is a term use for pulling your partner close and slow dancing, LOL!

December 28, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Avon Barksdale

ATTENTION: To the older people posting comments please Respect the artists of today. Teena died yesterday but that doesnt mean u have to TALK S*** about every new artist that is out today in your attempt to give her praise. It's pathetic and getting old. EXAMPLE OF AN OLD PERSON POST: "Teena was the best ever. These idiots today dont know nothin bout Real Music! Our music was the best." A TRUE LOVER OF MUSIC, YOUNG OR OLD WOULD NEVER SAY ANYTHING THIS STUPID.

December 27, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

This message has been brought to you courtesy of the RIAA.

December 27, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • BigGameJames

Agreed!! And the crazy thing is the older people in their day complained about their music. They've turned into their parents.

December 27, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. Layla

I love your Teena, you made this world a beautiful place. I know heaven has embraced you. Simply the best, the bes!

December 27, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

You mean, deforested, hole in the ozone, carbon emissions out the yin-yang, polar ice caps melting, dogs and cats living together, complete mass hysteria? Then I love your image of a beautiful place.

December 27, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Avon Barksdale

AND ONE MORE THING TO THE OLDER PEOPLE POSTING: At some point in time when u were younger your parents hated your music, clothes, way of talking, etc. Im gone break it down to all u old HATERS like Steve Harvey. In your eyes we cant win. If we played the same music that you all listened to when u were younger u would say we need to get our own sound. Now we have Our Own sound and u say it aint good and your music was the best! Is this just a thing where old people just wanna complain? Somebody over 35 explain this to me PLEASE.

December 27, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • BigGameJames

@Avon Barksdale I'm 38 years old and agree with you wholeheartedly. I think the fact that the artists people listened to back in the day were not made as visible as today's artists, as well as the digital age making it easy for the most rhythymless person to make a song has contributed to Gen X'ers and elders downplaying today's music. In the 30's and 40's jazz was considered "the devil's music." And some of these older people have kids that are shaking their booties to some pretty explicit songs being played on the radio. But the kids today did not start being 'As Nasty As They Wanna Be' on their own. The next time you get into a discussion about how vulgar or bad today's music is just say the name "Millie Jackson." That might shut 'em up.

December 27, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

And they will retort back the Millie Jackson is nothing. her lyrics hold nothing to the likes of Anthrax!

December 27, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. BigGameJames

@Sutler Kill yourself!!! Than maybe some dumb@$$ will post some silly sh!t about you! Also...eat a d!(k.

December 27, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. BigGameJames

Apologies Ms. Lady T for my disrespect on such a somber occasion. Although I came in on the back end of your greatest works of art, you captivated my heart and ears with your soulful delivery. Always kept tabs on you. You are one of those people who showed what was on the inside is what mattered most. Color was no barrier for you. Godspeed!!

December 27, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |