Teena Marie's death sends twinge through Twitter
December 26th, 2010

Teena Marie's death sends twinge through Twitter

The death of award-winning singer-songwriter Teena Marie hit the Twitterverse hard Sunday night.

The first tweet about the singer’s death hit the popular microblogging site around 8:30 p.m.

In an hour’s time, Marie's name was the top trending topic, with condolences being tweeted from around the world.

“I can't believe Teena Marie died. I'm super sad,” tweeted user HopeVann.

Sunday night, a number of celebrities with contacts in entertainment pitched in to form a composite of Marie's untimely passing.

In the early going, drummer Sheila E tweeted: “They just took her body from her home. Teena Marie found dead by her daughter whos BD was yesterday. pray 4 her & her family.”

The message was retweeted more than 100 times within minutes.

Minutes later, CNN contributor Roland Martin got a hold of Marie’s manager and confirmed it.

"Mike Gardner, the manager of @teenamarie, just told me that it is true: the legendary R&B singer has indeed died," Martin tweeted.

Tremors of Marie's passing also hit Facebook and other popular social networking sites.

“No cause of death has been provided ... . Her manager, Mike Gardner, said her body is at the coroner's office,” Martin later tweeted.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Showbiz • Twitter
  1. Ronnele McLeod

I am devasted.......I grew up carrying my portable record player around with her albums, everywhere I went......Wow...Last of a Dime Breed! She will be sadly missed......R.I.P. Will continue to play you like yesterday.....xxoo

December 27, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Avon Barksdale

Another Example of HATE by OLDER PEOPLE: On the other CNN page reporting Teena Marie's death a few older people were so sad about Teena's passing that they actually had THE AUDACITY to say that if it wasn't for Teena and Rick James there would be NO HIP-HOP. Now I love Teena and Rick but I think some of yall been dancin under that disco ball a little too long. Ya'll said the same thing when MJ died last year and you all are gonna do it when we lose the next Great Artist. Hip-Hop has roots in many musical genres and all of u old people know that. Every type of music was influenced by the music before it going all the way back to Africa when it was just our voice and hands. I LOVE TEENA BUT I LOVE JILL SCOTT TOO! Respect. That's all we want.

December 27, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Blessed Geek

Never heard of her till yesterday.

December 27, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Dee

Wow, you've been missing out! Listen to some of her music (Where's California, Portugese Love, Fire and Desire, Square Biz...) and you'll feel even more blessed than you already do!!

December 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Avon Barksdale

Thank's BigGameJames! I think I need to teach a Music History 101 Class to some of the older people out there! With an emphasis on Love & Respect for all musical genres! Im not a fan of Country Music but that doesnt give me the right to say country music is bad.

December 27, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kiari

I'm 15, raised on old school muz. Teena Maria was among the the best of the BEST!. Yes right along side Phyliss Hyman, Angela Bofill, and Minnie Rippelton. I see the heaven is just replemishing it's angels.

December 27, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

Angels?! You mean Harpies, right?

December 27, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Finally subtle sutler, your bong moments has finished its course and you left this thread to reload with salvia...good riddance!

December 28, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Robert Thompson

I am truly saddened. I love you Teena Marie. Thank you for brightening my life with your music.

December 27, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. wmsJAX

I'm saddened by death of Lady T! Teena Marie was an amazing performer, writer, producer and singer. 1981, I purchased my first album because of her duet with Rick James, Fire and Desire. Additionally, I consider Square Biz a classic piece of work which introduced me to Nikki Giovanni, Maya Angelou, don perignon, rap and a little French... Internet wasn't available during 1981 but I used the library's encyclopedia when school resumed. I first saw Teena Marie perform in New Orleans (mid-80's) and I was mesmerized by her musical talent. She sang and played the piano, congas and guitar! Fortunately, I saw Teena Marie perform at Miami's 2010 Jazz in the Garden. She only played her guitar but "wow" a female musician! She played mostly Rick James songs and her classic songs. She gave us the party of our lives! It was very unselfish of Teena Marie to entertain us with hits from her friend Rick James's music catalogue. At the end of her performance, we chanted "Teena"! I wish she could've returned to the stage for an encore performance! However, Robin Thicke followed her performance and he acknowledged her big performance! [Robin is a class act!!!] Teena Marie you gave of yourself and you planted a seed in many lives, when I fall in love I will let that guy know "I'm just a sucker for your love" R.I.P. my dear. ..."all the people loved you, my dear Lady T"

December 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cindy

I am shocked and saddened by the tragic untimely death of Lady T. I grew up listening to her and dancing to her beat. She could belt it out like no other. I had the pleasure of seeing her perform in AC this past summer, and at The Dell in philadelphia. As always, Teena stole the show. She was amazing and sounded the same as she did 20 years ago.

The music industry has lost an iconic force..Teena will stay in my heart forever, and in the hearts of many of my soul sisters. RIP MISS TEENA MARIE.... I LOVE YOU

December 27, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. God

RIP Teena Marie

December 27, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cd904

This is not the same picture they had up 21 hours ago. The picture showing NOW is Teena Marie. The one that was there yesterday was not. They should have made a apology along with the picture change. And i am a big fan, have all her albums, trust me , the picture they had there yesterday was not her. I'm glad that they made the correction.

December 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Diva

Bless Teena's daughter, family, and close friends. Sorry for their lose.. But, we all know there is diffently a bad concert going on in heaven of eveyone that has been called home.... You will be very much missed Lady T. But, your music lives on...

December 27, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lynn

My condolences to her family. Teena your gone too soon.....but thankyou so much for all the great hits and jams over the years. There will never be another like you, and that is for sure! I am sad in my heart tonight. Your fans loved you, but God loves you best. Rest in Peace Lady T!

December 28, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • REllison

Well said Lynn! .....I played the ink off of Starchild tape!! Love ya Lady T

December 28, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. fatboy

her & Rick James was a match she was in love with him

December 28, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. REllison

I can't believe it..just can't ....R. I. P. "Starchild" Lady T.

December 28, 2010 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. REllison

Couldn't ask for a better way to leave here( in her sleep) .... see you in the next life Lady T.

December 28, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |