5 teens found dead in Florida motel
December 27th, 2010
11:09 PM ET

5 teens found dead in Florida motel

Authorities are investigating the deaths of five teenagers, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning, after they were found Monday afternoon in a motel in Hialeah, Florida, police said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Florida
soundoff (226 Responses)
  1. RandyFulham

    Interesting point

    December 28, 2010 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Richard Allen

    wow, that sure is a terrible way to go...not that any way is better than this...well, maybe as a 90 year old grandparent surrounded by all your family is a little better...but still this is incredibly unfortunate.

    December 28, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Various_Authors

    Everybody knows Hialeah is full of Cubans. They probably opened an unlicensed auto repair shop in the hotel room and forgot to open the windows.

    December 28, 2010 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. yetty

    This is notin 2 laugh abt,its a big tragedy,don't know anybody could laugh about it.

    December 28, 2010 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. Big Joe

    Who's Syinki?

    December 28, 2010 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. barbara.

    Wow...theres always some nut..wanting the world to come to An end...saying human speices dont need to be here...well i for one are not ready to die. ..dont tell me your going to be like that one crazy nut. who went wild killing people because he thought thier was too many people on earth..anyways..Im sorry for the lost of these young lifes.anytime i hear someone has dies..im sad. weather im told how they dies..or just simple told .(a life has been lost).its all sad.

    December 28, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. barbara.

    Simply*

    December 28, 2010 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
    • krispy

      You have a lot more corrections than that to make, Babs!

      December 28, 2010 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. dickymcgee

    Stupid retards. Probably were not white either, so its not a big deal

    December 28, 2010 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. badgerturd

    I just fished myself

    December 28, 2010 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Various_Authors

    Ah, my mistake. I knew Cubans were smarter than that. It was Haitians. NOW it makes sense.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-five-dead-in-hialeah-motel-20101227,0,306926.story

    December 28, 2010 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bill

    I hate to read things about losses through out the winter due to CO, it is called the silent killer just due to not being able to see, hear or smell it, it will pocket through out due to not being heavier or lighter then air. A lot of people just think of smoke detectors when in fact if you use fossil fuel to heat your house as in gas (propane or natural) or fuel oil it is in your best interest to have a CO detector. Just because they are teens doesn't mean anything, they were most likely just having a great time, as they should at that age. Maybe we should be looking at the hotels, asking why didn't you have your heating checked prior to the winter season, maybe they weren't worried about it due to them thinking, it won't get cold here, why worry about wasteing money on getting that checked. I just hope we all learn from this unfortunate loss.

    December 28, 2010 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
    • BR

      Sounds like a lawsuit in the making

      December 28, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Concerned Dad

      I feel very bad for the lives that are shattered from this tragedy. I don't know the details but some parents' worst nightmare has happened because obviously they lost at least one "child" and it is possible that they have lost all of their "children". Who knows how many families are effected.

      December 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • donna

      This is florida, sunshine state. The weather was about 80 degrees with a low of 50. Hardly the kind of winter heating weather.

      The news suggested it was caused by a running car in a garage located underneath the room.

      December 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shannon

      In an earlier article it says the kids left the car running in the garage and the CO came in from the closed garage. So nobdy to sue – just a sad accident. We shouldn't jump to conclusions after reading a three line article.

      December 28, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. halliebee

    Ummmm wouldn't more than 5 people be dead in that hotel if it were truly from CO poisoning? Not to mention they are in Florida!

    December 28, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
    • peg

      car was running under the room - It has been COLD in Florida,do you read the news? They have even had ice

      December 28, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Quincy9

      I'm in Lake Worth, FL (West Palm Beach) and it was 35 when I woke up this morning. News said that the wind makes it feel like 25!

      December 28, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

      Says they noticed the smell of carbon monoxide. Kind of weird because carbon monoxide has no smell.

      December 28, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Lawrence

      It has been unusually cold in Florida and a furnace that has never been used was suddenly used. Each room has a a/c unit-heating unit and that heating unit malfunctioned.

      December 28, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony Montana

      What are you implying? Are you so racist you're heartless as well?

      December 28, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Waff

      i live in hialeah, and it's HOT today.. last night was not a cold night, at all.

      January 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. halliebee

    Surely it was not icy that afternoon.

    December 28, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. lol llamas

    Okay guys, it's been 7 hours since this article was released. Can we all agree NOW that it's no longer "This Just In," and that this article requires a tune-up?

    December 28, 2010 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
    • DisgruntledGrrl

      Or that it's 5 instead of 4. The link says 4, you click and it says 5. What – was one hiding under the sofa cushions?

      December 28, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. tricia

    I dont think it was from a heater says right on there a car was running in next room

    December 28, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11