5 teens found dead in Florida motel
December 27th, 2010
11:09 PM ET

5 teens found dead in Florida motel

Authorities are investigating the deaths of five teenagers, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning, after they were found Monday afternoon in a motel in Hialeah, Florida, police said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Florida
soundoff (226 Responses)
  1. really?

    5 teens and no adults? Hmmmm. A bit suspecious to me it seems. Unless I'm wrong since CNN left out a small thing calls 'details'.

    December 28, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Double LL

    Many moons ago, an illegal nuclear arms deal was being made in the same vicinity. People this area has issues just like are porous borders. Wake up America!

    December 28, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Uuuummm

      You has bigger problems than wholes in de border. It is be your grammar and spelling. (And yes mine are intentional. It's sarcasm.)

      December 28, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. kendra

    Sad stuff... But this article sucks

    December 28, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Alfonso

    No details so no opinion on this story. Do some reporting CNN!

    December 28, 2010 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. lisa

    Okay..so what were teenagers doing in a Motel room...let alone CO poisoning in a Motel. I sure hope we see a follow up to this story

    December 28, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

      What all teenagers do at hotels...The Hokey-Pokey 😛

      December 28, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

      Maybe they were on vacation? I went on a trip with high school friends when I was a senior in high school, we had fun. Not all kids are "bad". Clearly this was a tragedy.

      December 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. augustine

    The morons left their engine running in their KIA.

    December 28, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Meredith

      Hey...I love my Kia. Cheap, reliable and great mileage.

      December 28, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. augustine

    Evans Charles, 19, Jonas Antenor, 18, Peterson Nazon, 17, and Jean Pierre Ferdinand, 16, had rented the room to celebrate the 19th birthday of their friend Juchen Martial.

    December 28, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. safehugh

    If it is carbon monoxide from a source nearby then the ventilations system in the motel room were drawing in the deadly fumes from the so called source of the motor vehicle. Ventilation systems and or Extractors should expell air / fumes from the room. Hope that there is a full report on the HOW? so that we can learn from this terrible incident.

    December 28, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • donna

      It was a cheap motel in Hialeah, a kind of economically oppressed area in Florida. Leaks and gaps from years of temporary fixits, or outright neglect no doubt.

      December 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bill

    Another news source reported that their ages were 16, 17, 18 and 19. They rented a second floor room to celebrate the birthday of another friend. Underneath their room was a garage where someone left a car running. The carbon monoxide
    worked its was up a stair case to the second floor where they were sleeping.

    It was not mentioned whose car it was or why it was left running.

    December 28, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Timbre

      Good writing and information, Bill. Thank you.

      December 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

    People who is maken jokes about this is sick and needs help this no laughing matter.

    December 28, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Candace

      Exactly what I was thinking! The comments on this story hAve been a little too light hearted.

      December 28, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

      Kind of like your grammar!

      December 28, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Charles Polsky

    The author of the article commented on the "strong odor" of carbon monoxide at the time of the discovery of the five bodies, but CO is odorless, which is why it's so deadly. Just wanted to correct that detail, since it probably contributed to the tragedy.

    December 28, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • donna

      That's upsetting that you would think to correct the article, since the smell of car exhaust is obviously what they meant.

      December 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

      Why is it upsetting to correct the article? Obviously a number of people were not recognizing that that is what the person meant by the smell of CO. Its just the smell of the other associated chemicals from the exhaust.

      January 14, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Hoosier

      The "Odor of Carbon Monxide" would be car exhaust. Yes, Carbon Monoxide has no odor, but the impurities and other components of car exhaust do have a smell. Just like saying a person "Smells of alcohol". Alcohol is odorless and colorless. It is the impurities that give it an odor. Holy crap if everyone is going to get completely legal and technical to every little nuance of everything wrote... sheesh.

      January 14, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. del

    Wow! A little tease of an article. Writer's cramp? Give us some more info; ok! Need a reporter?

    December 28, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bwill

    Kids getting high on carbon monoxide didn't it is a killer.
    Four less out of the gene pool.

    December 28, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • James

      You're just expressing your obvious self-hatred by lashing out at all humanity.

      January 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

      Probably down on himself for skipping everything since second grade.

      January 14, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bwill

    Kids getting high on carbon monoxide didn't know it is a killer of a high.
    Four less out of the gene pool.

    December 28, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

      Nice! A rarity nowadays for the Darwin Award! Talk about raising the stakes!

      December 28, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • steve harnack

      Isn't there someone that needs to be chased off of your lawn?

      December 28, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. Wrangler Wayne

    Carbon monoxide, which is slightly (3%) lighter than air, if given long enough exposures (several weeks), may kill you down to about 5ppm even though the lower limit is 9 ppm, due to reduced cholenesterase activity. A car engine emits about 2liters/horsepower of CO per min. With a cold engine, the catalytic converter is not yet up and running, the engine runs lean, so levels of 80,000 ppm in the first 2 min may be reached in a closed garage, or about 600 ppm for an open garage. It can seep into an adjoining room in about a minute and remain there for several hours.

    December 28, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Timbre

      "600 ppm in an open garage." I didn't know that. Scary stuff.

      December 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11