2011 presents design challenge for novelty eyeglass makers
December 28th, 2010

2011 presents design challenge for novelty eyeglass makers

This has been a difficult year in many corners of the business world, and next year already has posed a challenge for a specialized market: New Year's Eve novelty glasses.

The impending year will be the first since the fashion statement's invention in 1991 that doesn't have two loopy numbers that lend themselves to eye holes, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Designers have struggled with how to work an eye hole into one of the 1s, or between them, or between the zero and the first 1, and the results have not always been stellar, according to the Journal.

The novelty eyeglass crisis could at least temporarily resolve itself for New Year's Eve 2013 and certainly for 2014. As for the economy as a whole, who knows?

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy
  1. Sutler

NERDS

December 28, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Big Joe

The novelty glass makers do have a serious problem. I have had a few sleepless nights struggling with how their R&D department will solve this tragic situation. Sadly, I don't think there is a solution; you just can't change the 0.

December 28, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Richard in Texas

I say just make next year 3000. This will avoid the whole 2012 thing. But that won't work because of y3k.

December 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Richard in Texas

I guess we are just destined for armegedon.

December 28, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

It's an absurd product that has no rationale... now that reality has caught up with them maybe they'll take the hint.

December 28, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mplaya

Too Funny – my 13 year old daughter brought this to my attention last year – maybe she's got a future in R&D!

December 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Monkey on my back

What a dilemma! I'll have to ponder this crisis as i drive around this evening after filling it up at $3 a gallon. Yep. . .b real crisis we're facing.

December 28, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. 2100

Is the sky falling yet...???

December 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Big Joe

Past midnight CST, I can't sleep; very concerned about the loopy holes, don't know what's gonna happen with the novelty glasses. Very few people seem to care, and this makes it even more sad.

December 29, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Big Joe

Is the sky falling? Well maybe not for you, but for the millions of people that attend New Year's functions and me, yes, the sky is falling. Please show some compassion. Thank you.

December 29, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Had Enough

CNN I MEAN REALLY DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT ONE ( 1 ) FREEKIN PERSON GIVES A CRAP ABOUT THIS STORY ?? LOL

December 29, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tom

2011!
    Just make the second eye hole a circle in the enlarged dot of the exclamation mark...?

January 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |