Injuries reported in explosion in Michigan
December 29th, 2010

Injuries reported in explosion in Michigan

Police are investigating an explosion in a building in Wayne, Michigan, a western suburb of Detroit, authorities said.

A city official said a gas explosion had occurred at a downtown furniture store, resulting in injuries and damage.

CNN affiliate WDIV reported that several people remained trapped inside the store.

Another CNN affiliate, WXYZ, reported the explosion at the William C. Franks Furniture store could be heard two miles away.

Post by:
Filed under: Michigan • U.S.
  1. Fred

When has anyone ever heard ofa furniture store exploding??? What's really going on in there?

December 29, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jipf

My parents live 2 blocks from here....my mom said the house said n groaned n she thought there was an earthquake. Neighbors around her suffered broken windows n other minor damage. She ran down the street with neighbors and began digging through the rubble until firefighters arrived. This is an AMAZING community where I grew up. True neighbors everyone...always there to help no matter what. It might not be affluent or a garden spot but the people make it home.

December 29, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jipf

It was a natural gas leak.....nothing sinister....my parents have been evacuated do to the fumes.

December 29, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Sorry I quoted you Jipf but I have not used this forum much as you can tell.
      I hope everyone is OK..!

December 29, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. girl

Greg- very clever.
    To all the ignorant comments – put yourself in someone else's shoes for a change. Why is if its a beautiful place relevant or not? God have mercy on your judgment of those in lower socioeconomic statuses than you. If you truly feel like the Diane's in the world- do yourself a solid and don't evee drop change in the salvation army bucket. There is no need for you to "feel good" about your high and mighty self. You are the real souls who need pity.

December 29, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. mary

Apparently there is a large natural gas leak. My parents have bought furniture from this store for as long as I can remember. Great store, nice neighborhood.

December 29, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Saba

I'm trying to figure out who the people are who post tasteless, rude, anti-race/religion, ugly comments on the #CNN forums under a story? They take a sad story of some event that occurred and turn it into some ugly fight, I hate it, makes me mad, comment on the story, that is all, don't throw your weird ugly views into it, people died, why are we making jokes?! It's stupid and these people are immature.... End rant...

December 29, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Saba

And I'm not saying people died in this story, but other stories in which that has happened, it makes me mad to read these sorts of comments...

December 29, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. ha

I have a large natural gas leak in my pants.

December 29, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. McKinstry n Toledo....

Bomb making gone bad.... Well gone good I might add. Well they pick good garden places not the hood, you dummies.

Common denominators:
    Detroit
    LA
    New York
    Ohio
    all lib places and bankrupt...

December 29, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • yoda

Retarded you are. in the testicles, kick you I shall.

December 29, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hughj

its the internet you can post whztever you feel.

December 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ernie

Maybe decent, God-fearing folks & decent unbelieving folks can drownout the voices of idiots. I hope & pray that those affected by the explousion can find comfort in God & friends. I feel sorry for the rude people who comment, for someday bad things will also happen close or to you, I will not mock your suffering even then,

December 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. stogie

I lived near here up until a few years ago... it's not the hood people, but it's far from what Ron has stated. When were you last in Wayne, before the Ford plant took over The Wayne Drive-In? haha

December 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GuerillaGorilla

@Ignorant/political/religion-based posters: Actually it was a corroded natural gas pipe. Bush didn't cause this, and nether did Obama. It isn't the democrats nor the republicans fault. It isn't the fault of muslims or christians. It also wasn't due to drugs or bomb-making. It was an accident that has affect the lives of people in the area, and no one is truley at fault.

December 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bettyd

I have personally shopped at this 44 year family owned Furniture store for years-the store offered beautiful, classic pieces of furniture at fair and reasonable prices. The sales people would work with customers to meet other store prices and reduce their prices even more for the customer – they backed up everything they sold, and if there was a problem, would come out to the house to repair or even replace the furniture. This furniture store was in business for over 44 years and had loyal, returning customers from many surrounding affluent communities.Mr. Paul Franks, who is the owner, is currently in critical condition in University of Michigan Burn Unit fighting for his life; he is a decent man and honest businessman who supported the City of Wayne. It is inconceivable people how ignorant and cruel some (humans?) can be toward people they don't even know. Shame on all you people with your ignorance,hatreds and prejudices and pray this never happens to you or your loved ones.

December 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ladyj

How sad! You folks call yourself grown-ups? But act like children. You never know when such an event could happen to you or your family and neighbors.Grow up and get a real life. People got hurt and that's that. Don't bash, and as far as the meth lad, let's see they are found out in the country and white suburbs, get ur stats right before you post!!!!

December 29, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bambam

Why only in the white suburbs there is lots of black and others that cook it up too

December 29, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |