NFL fines Brett Favre $50,000
December 29th, 2010

NFL fines Brett Favre $50,000

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre was fined $50,000 by the National Football League for failing to cooperate with an investigation into whether he sent sexually explicit messages to women, the league said Wednesday.

However, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, based on the evidence available, "could not conclude that Favre violated league policies relating to workplace conduct," the league said.

Favre was alleged to have sent inappropriate messages to Jenn Sterger, a female employee of the New York Jets while he was on the Jets roster in 2008.

"The forensic analysis could not establish that Favre sent the objectionable photographs to Sterger," the league's statement said.

It also said Sterger had not engaged in any inappropriate activity.

See CNN's full coverage of the NFL's decision
Post by:
Filed under: Brett Favre • Pro football • Sports
  1. boocat

Send him to Dick Cheney...he can waterboard him.

December 29, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. eightysix

As a woman I'm puzzled about the whole complaint. She waited nearly 2 years to claim she didn't release the information to the media, told the NFL she wasn't sure she wanted to participate in its investigation, but now demands punishment or else she'll sue. For the sake of argument, say he did it. I call this flirting the 21st century. It's crude and not my style but to each their own. She rejected him and they both moved on. No harm came to her from this. As far as I'm concerned the NFL has no business in this...It's between Brett and his wife.

December 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PR

Farve is a piece of dog crap! Goodell should have fined him a lot more and suspended him for the rest of the season. Hopefully he's gone for good. Wish they could have carried him off the field on a stretcher.

December 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric P

What do you care about what Brett Favre ALLEGEDLY did or did not do? I think your boss should fire you for posting comments on CNN at work.

December 29, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

Oh shuddup..

December 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Whaaaaaa, whaa wha wha whaaaaaa.

December 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric P

I'm glad this idiotic charade is over. Sterger is nothing but a money grubber. If she was so offended by Favre, why didn't she go public with it in 2008? Why wait until 2010...after the best year of his career? She's trash, EXTREMELY hot, but not worth listening to for even a millisecond. She'll get a reality TV show that millions of useless housewives across the country will watch religiously though. Just watch.

December 29, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Favrite

Okay, now it seems that it's open game on Favre. Perhaps the greatest QB of our times. Ley off and let him rest. He's had a tough season.

December 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • metmo

If you can't spell the word "lay", I don't think I'm going to take any assertions that you make about Brent Favre's greatness seriously.

December 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. paul

Favre can now go back to getting massages, I'm sure his wife won't care now that they found no incriminating evidence....they made Michael Jackson shows his thing, why couldn't they ask him to show his stuff, but it might have caused more embarrassment ... he is kinda grey!!

December 29, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JDC

Totally unfair! I've been sending Brett pictures of my junk for years and he never gave me a dime.

December 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. stan

own up to what you did, , if you want to dance, you gotta pay the band!!!!!

December 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rich

How can they punish him for something that they cannot prove? Sounds shadey to me.

December 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric P

It is shady. It's a total scam. If I were Favre, I'd sue for that money back.

December 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John

"He was essentially charged, tried, and sentenced with out a valid or proper investigation or trial, against his rights guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment in due process."

You know that for a fact, or are you just a poor lawyer reaching for a big pay day yourself? Favre said little about this deal to the media. You can bet he showed the commish the evidence and Goodell said it wasn't worth more than chump change.

December 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John

Sorry, that should read STUMP change

December 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. midnitejax

Why would Favre not co- operate with the investigation unless he was hiding something, or afraid that it could be used against him in a criminal case? I expect it is the l;atter. Stalking is a crime in most states, and he left a trail of messages and responses from his victims, that would certainly be a cause of concern by his legal advisors. 50k is a small amount for such a disgusting act in my opinion.I just hope he gets cleaned out by his wife.

December 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

$50k is small change compared to what his wife will be asking for. My bet is, he didn't cooperate because the divorce laws in Mississippi don't think much of Bubba and his little tool and wifey would be taking him for his last ride, in divorce court. Brett Favre would get screwed alright, but it wouldn't feel good.

December 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BullzFan

$50K to him is not even pocket change. Way to make a statement, Goodell.

December 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Be Quiet

$50,000 or $5,000,000. Who cares? He is loaded beyond belief and could pay any fine they came up with. The real punishment is that his last season has been a miserable one, the Vikings suck and the entire world has seen his teeny teeny weenie.

December 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |