NFL fines Brett Favre $50,000
December 29th, 2010

NFL fines Brett Favre $50,000

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre was fined $50,000 by the National Football League for failing to cooperate with an investigation into whether he sent sexually explicit messages to women, the league said Wednesday.

However, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, based on the evidence available, "could not conclude that Favre violated league policies relating to workplace conduct," the league said.

Favre was alleged to have sent inappropriate messages to Jenn Sterger, a female employee of the New York Jets while he was on the Jets roster in 2008.

"The forensic analysis could not establish that Favre sent the objectionable photographs to Sterger," the league's statement said.

It also said Sterger had not engaged in any inappropriate activity.

See CNN's full coverage of the NFL's decision
Post by:
Filed under: Brett Favre • Pro football • Sports
  1. Paul

all I want to know is did Jenn Sterger claim the photos were of Favre?

December 29, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callahan

... 10-4 ...

December 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mslman71

Really, who cares in the grand scheme of things? $50k is an insignificant fraction of what he made this year. It's a symbolic gesture and nothing more. Yeah, I know, we all love to see someone rich and famous get in trouble – I guess it gives us a chance to play judge, jury, and executioner: our one and only chance to fancy ourselves better than they.

December 29, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rusty Shackleford

If Brett doesn't have something to hide, he would cooperate fully to clear himself and make this go away. It's sad that one of the all-time greats of the game and a roll model for others is ending his illustrious career in disgrace.

December 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Distance

Exactly.
      If you have something to hide you are obviously guilty.

December 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callahan

Rusty" Right! It would be a cold day in hell before I would let anyone accuse me of such and me NOT take a stand should I be innocent... I'm assuming he's telling his Wife & Kids, "Honey I'm not gonna play this game, or with any investigation. I've done nothing wrong". Okay so LET someone TAKE $50K just because? Give me a F&*@ing break!

December 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alex

$20 million salary for 2010. Do you think Favre even cares that he got fined? He's just glad to get it over it with. $50,000 is pocket change for Favre.

December 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Name*sonny shankle

Why did she wait two years before bringing this up

December 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rum Dumb

Hasn't the nfl ever heard of the fifth amendment why should Brett Favre say anything, rest assured some lawyer will twist anything he said to suit their argument, good going Brett?

December 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Read the above comments so I don't have to explain to you why he got fined. Why do people keep bringing up legal arguments and the 5th amendment? You might not agree with it, but at least understand the issue before making a fool of yourself. And honestly why would Bret pay legal fees to fight this? Think about it. I'll do the math for you...$50,000 / $20 million = 0.25% of his 2010 salary. Call it a negligible tax on stupidity.

December 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave

I wouldn't cooperate if my penis looked like that either.

December 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callahan

Apparently Dave it does, or why make such a "rediculous" comment? OH I'm SURE yours is .... Pfffff ... MORON! LMFAO

December 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ixxixxi

Watch, The NFL will fine somebody next week because someone's fart smells funny. And then they'll fine the Guy that refused to comment on it. College football is better anyways

December 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rum Dumb

Whats her name I missed it somehow ?

December 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ScottJ

@FreedomBaby – Finally a voice of FIRST HAND knowledge! LAMO! Seriously, it must be contractual. No proof, no connection... why are thet wasting time on this anyway?

December 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. stan

There are those who are above the law, and therefor above prosicuation. He is one of the GOLDEN BOY of football. now in comp[arison look at michale vick, he had is lively hood taken from him, put in prison, and disgraced, and for what...killing some dogs. CA, MON MAN. The NFL, has their views a little skewed,,,

December 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Callahan

The Woman in question "never" asked for money; book deal etc.. She wanted (only) for him to be punished for his actions and an apology, period.
    My questions is: How "Proud" is Farve's Wife & Children? Nice eh?? ... Oh wait let me guess..."Honey I told you, I never did it... see, see, they found nothing on me"! Yeah okay, and your involved why? ***Shaking-Head*** Pffffff .......

December 29, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • FanDango

You are so nieve.

December 29, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

and you, Fan, are obviously uneducated...

December 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

Oh wow, $50,000 fine. They really know how to hurt him. He might have to stop sending text messages now!

December 29, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. eldono

Favre needs to go out to pasture.

December 29, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ELH

Kudos to the NFL Enforcers!!! Actually, I think BF should be fined for his scruffy facial hair. It doesn't look good as he prowls the sidelines sans equipment. Of course, scruffy face goes well in stupid Wrangler commercials where he is trying (successfully) to portray an ignorant red-neck good 'ol boy. His pickemup truck sucks too.

December 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |