Police: Man attacks teen over cell phone on plane
December 29th, 2010

Police: Man attacks teen over cell phone on plane

A 68-year-old Idaho man has been charged with misdemeanor battery after police say he struck a teen who would not turn off his phone while the plane they were in was taxiing for takeoff.

The incident took place Tuesday evening on a Southwest Airlines flight from Las Vegas to Boise, Idaho, said Lt. Kent Lipple of the Boise police.

The man, Russell Miller, was arrested after the plane landed, Lipple said.

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. girl

they both did something wrong. The teenager didn't turn off his phone. And the old man hit him. The old man didn't want to die because the teenagers fault!! He probably told the teenager to turn it off.. and he wouldn't. So i kind of think that he deserved it. But not the way the old man did it. He should have "attacked" him. He should have told his parents, or if they weren't there. They the flight attendent. GEET ITTT RIGHTT!!

January 1, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris in the center of Canada

The kid just did not care. If we don't teach them at an early age to be respectful and follow rules, laws, and regulations...then they become the self centered, only me generation that we are dealing with now. As for the old guy he may have went over board but I bet back in his day they didn't spare the rod and spoiled the child. Discipline is no longer the word of the day and shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy are now our new morality builders. Lord, Buddha, Allah, Coke bottle help us all.

January 2, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Madcap

Kid's lucky he just got smacked. As paranoid as I am, if I saw him with it, I would assume he was trying to set off a bomb and kill everyone on board and I would kill him deader than a doornail!

January 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AJ

I'm amazed when I drop my kid off at daycare how many parents park in the handicapped parking spots because all the other "close" ones are taken, or at the grade school how many parents park in the fire lane to drop their kids off, or at the office after lunch the disgusting mess some people leave in the pantry. Guess what parents.... if you suck as people or suck as parents your kids will suck too. Your kids are watching, shape up!

January 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. yellerdog

I would have smacked the kid too. Might even have shoved his cell up his little spoiled butt.

January 9, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Steve

To everyone talking smack about airplane mode, understand this. The FAA requires that everything with an on/off switch be OFF during takeoff and landing – REGARDLESS of airplane mode. That phone has an on/off switch, and is required to be OFF. Period. End of story.

January 9, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |