Police: Man attacks teen over cell phone on plane
December 29th, 2010

Police: Man attacks teen over cell phone on plane

A 68-year-old Idaho man has been charged with misdemeanor battery after police say he struck a teen who would not turn off his phone while the plane they were in was taxiing for takeoff.

The incident took place Tuesday evening on a Southwest Airlines flight from Las Vegas to Boise, Idaho, said Lt. Kent Lipple of the Boise police.

The man, Russell Miller, was arrested after the plane landed, Lipple said.

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. Paul

Both individuals wee wrong. The man has to learn to control his temper. The kid has to learn that some people are bothered by the "beeps" and constant "licking" from people using the cell phone.
    That said, everyone with the new phones needs to understand that there is a time and a place for their use. I resent being in a conversation with someone who takes the cell out in mid conversation, who then proceeds to multi-task. I'm sure they'd be upset if the situation were reversed.
    And this fad shall come to pass. I hope

December 29, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Buddy Kowalski

Thats why I always carry a harmonicavwhen I fly. I'll turn off my harmonica, when they turn off their phones....

December 29, 2010 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. enricorosan

Enough of cell phone abuse. That teenager deserved it. Down with teenagers . POWER TO THE ELDERLY.! !!! =XD

December 29, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. tj

if it was ringing as loud as some of these kids have their phones set at, I wouldn't of hit the kid but I sure as hell would have liked to have taken his damn phone from him and stepped on it!! I'm sorry but the lack of any kind of common courtesy with kids and cell phones does not exist, and the "dumbing down" of society continues!!

December 29, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. really?

I would have smack the kid too. Kudos to the man for finally during what the kid's parents lack. Parents these days are so lack on their parenting skills. Parents are to be parents, not their friends. Heck, I would've smack the kid and the parent in this case.

December 29, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. jared

There is not enough information so why formulate an opinion?

December 29, 2010 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joe Brown

Technology increases communication, but we experiment with our newfound powers at our own peril. On top of that there is the fact that there have never been so many of us crowding the planet at one time. Like it or not, this means more and more restrictions on individual behavior as our "private" space constricts and our neighbor's nose gets closer to our fist.

Both of the actors in this confrontation flouted rules meant to keep us from infringing on each other's rights.

December 29, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. francisco

THE KID WAS PROBABLY ABUSED WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER;THATS WHAT LAWYERS WOULD TELL A JUDGE;compel his parents to take parenting lessons before their lil darling is hurt real bad;

December 29, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • really?

I slap the lawyer too if he/she was to play the 'victim' card.

December 29, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JR

Man "attacks" kid? A little hyperbolic there CNN?

They both should have been tossed off the flight, one for being an obnoxious little twit who doesn't follow the rules, and the other for thinking it's ok to hit people.

December 29, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tony

Should have taken that phone and shoved it up the kids ass... it has nothing to do with the plane crashing, it has everything to do with not wanting to listen to your effin' phone call. just turn off your frigin phone and have some damn respect for people around you!

December 29, 2010 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. HelpMeRhonda

Some brat kid gets smacked by an adult for not obeying the rules. Doesn't sound like news to me. I'd blame it on poor parenting.

December 29, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

You are right. Bad parenting – that old man's mother and father should have taught him that it is not nice to hit people. I am sure you have told your kids it is not nice to hit people. If you have a rule in your house about no wearing hats or shoes would you allow an older child to smack a younger child so that they learned the lesson? If the older child smacked the younger child would you discipline the older child or reward them for making the younger child follow the rules?

What ever happened to mind your own business?

December 29, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jay

Just saying, if some old man attempted to hit me I would have no problem using restraining force on him. Oh and before anyone cries "respect", you can shove your morals where the sun don't shine.

December 29, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. tet1953

Ok, cell phones don't cause planes to crash..everyone knows that by now. That said, lots of teens need a good smack now and then lol. Rules are rules, and I have no doubt the kid was being annoying as hell and belligerent.

December 29, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. Baby Buster

Fact: Kid broke the rule
    He should suffer the consequences
    Fact: Old man broke the rule
    He should suffer the consequences

December 29, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • hammer

Cell phone use is not harmful to airplanes, private pilots use them in flight all the time. It is the FCC, not the FAA that limits use in flight so that cell towers are not overloaded by large numbers of passengers passing from cell tower to tower. The airlines want people to use their phones during flights as soon as they can figure out how to charge for it. Just as "transmitting devices" used to be forbidden, now they are allowed to connect with in flight wifi since the airlines can now charge for that service. Does anyone think passengers would even be allowed to have these devices on the plane if they could in any way be dangerous?? This is a policy of the airline, like not be allowed to bring outside food and drink into a theater is the policy of that theater. It is unfortunate that the airlines choose to make everything seem to be a safety issue when they know it really isn't. While it is never ok to inflict battery on someone, I believe this man acted out of fear for his own safety due to the misconceptions fostered by the airlines. He should have just summoned the flight attendant, who would happily use their power to have this kid arrested for "not following flight crew instruction", and of course "endangering passenger safety".

December 29, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. ralph

Turn off your freakin phones people! Can't live by yourselves for one freakin minute. Jeez! Turn them the %#*! off or we should sick this guy on you. I may be 68, but I'm not too old to whip your $%#. Beautiful.

December 29, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |