Suspended Ohio State players apologize
December 29th, 2010

Suspended Ohio State players apologize

The five Ohio State football players who were suspended last week for the first five games of the 2011 season publicly apologized Tuesday, CNN affiliate WBNS reported.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, wide receiver DeVier Posey, tailback Daniel "Boom" Herron (pictured above), offensive lineman Mike Adams and defensive tackle Solomon Thomas took turns speaking at the university's Woody Hayes Athletic Center, most of them without notes.

"I was very young and immature," Pryor said. "I am deeply sorry."

The players were suspended because they received improper benefits for selling awards, gifts and university apparel.

A sixth player, Jordan Whiting, was suspended for just the first game of the 2011 season. He did not attend Tuesday's event.

All of the players are eligible to play in the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas in New Orleans on January 4.

Posey was the only player who announced that he would return for next season. Other players did not address that issue.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Ohio • Sports • U.S.
  1. carpe diem

@wyominguy....what these players did may have been wrong but what does t attoes or dreadlocks have to do with their ability to play football? Everyone is not cut from the same cookie cutter image. Get into the modern age. This is not the 1950s.

December 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

I have a problem with the NCAA punishing these kids for their actions. I received a scholarship to play college basketball and with it came a monthly check to help pay rent (i lived off campus) and also help with living expenses. The amount i received covered those things (along with books)but it wasnt nearly enough to cover the normal things any college student desires. If i needed new shoes or clothes i was basically on my own for that. I didnt grow up in a wealthy houshold but luckily my mother was able to help out for me to have a little extra spending cash on me. And those of you who have never participated in collegiate sports might think i shoud of gotten a job but it is basically IMPOSSIBLE to get a job and participate in athletics at that level. You have 6 AM weight lifting, then go to your classes, in between classes your coaches schedule individual workouts to work on your game, then you have team practice which can run about 2 hours, followed by film session, and mandatory study hall. Then after that you might have a night class or two, so really your day ends around 8-9pm. And trust me your probably exhausted at that point. And this isnt just during season, even after the season ends your still requried to attend those things. Point i'm trying to make is these universitys make a whole lot of money off these kids, then when they try to find ways to get some extra cash they get punished. These kids didnt steal anything and sell it; they earned their rings/trophies etc and should have the right to sell those items if they feel like it. It's a joke, they basically are apoligizing for selling their own items! So before jumping on these young adults trying to make ends meet and also help out their families (which i heard was the case with some of them) the NCAA needs to look more closely at WHY these kids choose to sell those items and fix that problem. And most of the time were talking about inner city kids that dont come from the best of situations so mom or dad cant kick down an extra 200-300 bucks a month to help out. The NCAA needs to look at these situations and point the finger at themselves.

December 29, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • LookingUp

I played college football and worked a part-time job at the same time. It was not easy, but it can be done by those who have the ambition. I have worked with inner city kids and what they need are clearly defined boundaries and the reinforcement of those boundaries. You break a rule, you face the consequences whether you agree with the rule or not. How will they learn to take responsibility for their actions which is necessary to keep a decent job in the real world if consequences are not given to those who make infractions? Employers will not overlook blatant breaking of company rules. Athletes are no exception to the rules, regardless of how much revenue they may generate for a university or how highly they think of themselves. I believe a lot of good can come from the mistakes these young men made such as making wiser decisions, respecting those in authority over them (coaches, ncaa, etc), taking the high road and learning to spend less when you have a tight budget on which to live, etc. Hopefully the disciplines they are learning on the field will translate into responsible living off the field. Selah.

December 29, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lives in Columbus

@ LookingUp – very well said!! I also agree with Joe that if these kids have a money problem then the University needs to look at the root cause – it is not up to the students to take it upon themselves to bend the rules. No matter how broke I was I would never sell my ring. I think that just shows a total lack of respect for Jim Tressel and Ohio State. They also used their "celebrity" status of being an Ohio State football player to get free tattoos. That is illegal according to the rules currently in place. I am just disgusted by this whole mess.

December 30, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT

at least they wernt caught raping women. who cares if they got some money or gifts, everyone knows they get paid someway.

December 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mr. Pity

hey lighten up. You have something against our libertarians? Are you jealous of our freedoms..?.you have to play to win just like the military formula. Socialist populistas when caught and futurist youth investors when needed. Go OU ..u rock it.

December 29, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Silver Chair

Somone still needs to apologize for the show Howdie Do It.

December 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lancerman

i know have met deveir, went to my high school, one of the nicest and most polite kids ive ever met. Took some guts to say your coming back with a suspension and a sure 2nd round pick. Got a Devier jersey for christmas, and im gonna wear it proudly. But, i wouldnt sell my ring

December 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mark Ira Kaufman

To "Arizona Buckeye..."

You claim that you are "...an alumni." Unless you have multiple personalities, you are an alumnus or an alumna. "Alumni" is plural.

For the sake of THE Ohio State University, PLEASE tell this forum that you were not an English major, even if the words in question are Latin.

December 30, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark Ira Kaufman

I'm of two minds on this matter.

On the one hand, the decision to permit them to play in the Sugar Bowl seems improper.

On the other hand, it's not as if they took compensation from sports agents or boosters. They sold some of their own items. Furthermore, these young UNPAID athletes earn millions of dollars for OSU, So is it any wonder, they'd like some financial benefit for the efforts on the football field?

December 30, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pictures of the hottest jailbaits and youngest teens on the world wide web.

Wonderful publish, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help different customers like its helped me. Great job.

August 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |