Gotta Watch: 2010 holy sightings; screwy history; li'l dribbler
December 30th, 2010

Gotta Watch: 2010 holy sightings; screwy history; li'l dribbler

The Year in Holy Sightings: Spirits show their faces in some strange places in CNN.com's compilation of the best holy sighting videos.

That's textbook ... or is it? Students, if you're contemplating copying and pasting your term paper from the internet, think again. This kind of "research" has backfired on a Virginia textbook author who did just that. You won't believe some of the preposterous statements in this fourth-grade history book ... like the claim thousands of blacks served in the Confederate army,  an assertion many historians say is unfounded.

Kid's got game: This video speaks for itself. This kid takes dribbling to a new level. Twelve-year-old Jordan McCabe - yes that's his real name - will leave you mesmerized with his skills on the court.

1. Chris

*eyes the discussion above* Since when did being Christian come to mean "being stupid"?

Since when did believing in God mean that you couldn't be scientific or accept scientific evidence? Where in the Bible does it say that belief in God precludes any type of science or inquiry?

The Bible was written in a time when human understanding was limited; our knowledge was limited, our collective knowledge as a species was small Of COURSE the Bible doesn't go into all the science & whatnot - that's not the point of God's Word. Trying to explain relativity & evolution & whatnot to a human back in the time of Jesus (and earlier) would've been pointless; the Bible is there to illuminate the soul, not be a science textbook.

Thank you, all you praise-the-Lord idiots. You only further the stereotype of devout Christians as ignorant idiots.

And by the way - science is responsible for the computer you are typing and viewing this on, the heated/air-conditioned house you live in, and the many comforts you currently enjoy. Not any Church or Religion. Before you start denigrating science as "it can't be believed or proved either", you need to step back and think a bit more.

December 30, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

Thanks for speaking as a peer to some of the folks on the board who seem to think all human existence can be explained via a sacred text an emperor had a commission put together 2000 years ago.

December 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommas

Thank you for your intelligent response,
      What truly scares me is how many of your so called "devout" christians there are in our republic. Hopefully your greater compassion can help change this culture of ignorance.

December 30, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. elgee

Have you ever noticed how Mother Nature usually gets the blame for the death and destruction caused by storms, but that folks thank God when their own lives and property are spared? That has always seemed to me like the height of intellectual dishonesty.

December 30, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

Many fundamental Christians do suggest God executed storms and death on people to punish them. Pat Robertson speaks frequently about God's punishment through natural disaster. Recently he blamed the earthquake in Haiti on God's punishment. And if God isn't going to take care of you then the Christians will. Jerry Falwell said people with AIDS should be shot and buried like cattle with anthrax.

December 30, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Flippy1124

By the way Joy is a troll because I cannot believe anyone is that stupid.

December 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Richard Allen

If you want the answers to the universe, ask Olivia Lufkin. She is God. hehe.

December 30, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. taxfree

@AJ ..and the other psycho zealouts out there
    Do you actually understand the basic tenets of evolution? First, understand that evolution takes millions of years – it is a gradual process and humans haven't been around that long relative to the Earth. Second, understand that evolution is a process by which the most favored characteristics thrive – we wouldn't have extra noses because we don't need them. Humans are the most intelligent, resourceful and adaptable creatures on this planet. This is clear simply by the advances made in science (be it for good or money) and social structure. I would argue that humans today are by far a more evolved species than, say, in 1492. By the same token, technology evolves only as fast as humans are able to produce it. But I guess I can't argue with people who are so blinded by their book of fables that logic escapes them. Ever think that the search for knowledge was demonized for a reason? Of course the "tree of knowledge" would be off limits to the lowly layman..how else can the top dogs keep them under control? Money is the root of all evil? Money is power, and they know that. So how do you keep the poor from succeeding? Indoctrinate fear of knowledge and fear of success/money. 2012 is coming..but it's not going to be the end of planet Earth and it's inhabitants, simply the end of religion and the brainwashing of the common man. More of us are going to college, more of us will become wealthy and more of us will challenge the powers that be and smoke them out from behind their walls of money.. get ready because your hold on the world shall crumble!

December 30, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

I see you don't under the tenets of evolution either. It's a biological process. There's no connection between man and the age of the earth.

December 30, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joy

You must not be aware of the tremendous growth of many church congregations around the world. More and more people are coming to the conclusion that there has got to be more to life than this. There has got to be a better reason to exist than to simply entertain ourselves. More and more people are becoming aware of their spiritual self that is being awakened and yearning to be connected to God. You are to....the only thing standing in your way is fear of the unknown. That is when you make the choice to activate your faith or stay with the status quo. I hope someday you will conquor that fear and be free to acknowledge your creator.

December 30, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • taxfree

Frank,
      You clearly misunderstood. My point is that christians believe humans have only existed for 6000 years. Evolution could not have occurred in that time (at least not the kind AJ was referring to). Evolution occurs in nature, inclusive of every living thing on Earth, so yes, Earth's age would have something to do with how far along we've evolved.

Joy,
      As far as the growth of congregations goes...are you aware of the tax cuts and benefits behind building churches/religious congregations? Go to Philadelphia. You'll find a church on every block in the poorest neighborhoods. Why? Because it's the opiate of the people. That population stays poor while the church/religious congregation benefits.

Also, for the record, I'm not just talking about christianity (it just happens to be the religion i'm most exposed to thanks to this country). I'm talking about any religion claiming to be the "right" religion that all humans should follow. This "holy rubric" by which we should all live for fear of a horrible afterlife.. please.

I, like anyone else, would like to believe there's more to life after death. And I acknowledge the comfort it may give to people to believe in God. My problem is when those people arbitrarily claim that their way is the only true and right way or when religion is considered/involved when deciding what is fair and *legal* as to the rights of your fellow human. I was raised in a christian household, but I've always been a "why" and "you're not the boss of me" kind of person. I always questioned instead of swallowing blindly everything my parents said just because they said so..and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

You say I'm afraid of the unknown, but that's why religion was created – everyone is and it helps them deal. I don't need religion to do that.. I need a feeling of peace within myself and to build my own sense of satisfaction in the time I'm alive and breathing. Moreover, I don't blame my failures or my successes on something else (that in itself, is why most people fail in life..woe is me, god hates me, etc). I make myself accountable and reap the rewards – learn from failures and celebrate victories. I acknowledge that I am a living member of this Universe and am grateful to be alive. I refuse, however, to give up my right to an open and curious mind simply because I am told that I should.

If there is a God, I'm sure they'd rather do something more fun than sit there and judge you, as so many religious people choose to do. That seems like quite the boring existence. Life is beautiful and fleeting..wouldn't you rather explore what this Earth has to offer and revel in it's beauty than focus on what your neighbor is doing with his boyfriend? Wouldn't you want to learn as much as possible, laugh as hard as possible, love as hard as possible and help everyone else do the same?

What could the world be if we weren't divided by an imaginary being? Together we stand, divided we fall (for anything).

December 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joy

I'm sorry, I only read the part about God only being a judge and not allowing his creation to enjoy His the thing He made to the fullest and I wholeheartedly agree. These things were created for our enjoyment...it's when they are perverted that the enjoyement is taken out and that is what most people should be trying to protect. If you are thinking that all Christians do is sit around in a church building and talk about sinners...you are limiting yourself and have been clouded by an illusion either you created for yourself or someone fed you. It's a bunch of malarky.

December 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ron regan

Wow,ya'll are nuts! have you ever seen a unicorn?
    Sometimes when I'm in bed,alone with my flashlight,and I'm naked. I can make 1 with my magic shadow puppet wand. It's magical!

December 30, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flippy1124

@ Joy - Why Christ? Why not all the other gods before him, there were thousands. What makes yours so special? I believe we are all some what atheist, I just believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss the other possible gods, is when you'll understand why I dismiss yours.

December 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. St. Germain

CORRECT JOY man has the truth inside him, our vessel is the tree of knowledge which is our bodies, whats inside us is pure energy and it comes from the source, and the source is GOD and Jesus CHrist amen long live the messiah Jesus Christ!!! all technology comes from the hostile extra terrestials called DRACO AND REPTILIAN THEY USE MAGIK TO MANIPULATE HUMANS THEY VIEWS US AS INFERIOR AND OUR SO CALLED ELITES MADE A PACT WITH THEM. THERE ARE MANY EX GOV MILITARY ENGINEERS THAT HAVE REVEALED THIS AND IT GIVES PURE CREDIT TO DAVID ICKE . RESEARCH THIS MATTER HUMANS AND AWAKEN TO HIGHER CONSCIENCE. EARTH IS A BATTLEFIELD BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL ALIENS, THE HOSTILE ALIENS ARE ALREADY HERE AREA 51 IS THE GATEWAY TO HELL, THE REASON I KNOW ALL THIS IS BECAUSE IVE SEEN REPTILIANS AND BECAUSE OF THE WHISTLEBLOWERS WHO ARE NOW DEAD OR IN HIDING AND ARE REVEALING THIS INFO TO ALL HUMANS WHO WISH TO ENTER INTO A HIGHER CONSCIENCE AND TO BREAK FREE FROM THE MATRIX THE EVIL REPTILIANS CREATED!! A FOOL WILL LAUGH BUT WISE PERSON WILL RESEARCH THIS MATTER!!! HE WHO CONNECTS WITH GOD NOW WILL LEAVE WITH HIM IN THE RAPTURE EVENT I CAN FEEL HIS ENERGIES AND ITS URGING ME TO PASS HIS MESSAGE, WAKE UP HUMANS YOU HAVE BEEN LIED TO BY THE ELITES, DARWIN WAS A MASON IT WAS HIS PURPOSE TO SPREAD THE ULTIMATE LIE THEY WE EVOLVED FROM CHIMPS WHEN INDEED WE WERE CREATED BY GOD HIMSELF! THE DEVIL IS AN ALIEN AND HE IS ALREADY HERE IS WAITING FOR THE RAPTURE SO HE CAN ENJOY HIS KILLINGS

December 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

There you are Joy. Truth Revealed. Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

December 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

Now there we go. The heck with logic and observable fact. Earth is a battle field for aliens! And the matrix (whatever that is) was created by evil reptilians. Man, lay off the Roger Corman movies and the New Age nonsense.

December 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

Germain, I am assuming you have tongue planted firmly in cheek.

December 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joy

I'm sorry...I know we are in a heated debate but this is so ridiculous I have to say LOLOLOL!!!!! (I had to take a laugh break). 🙂

December 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

I am thinking Joy and Germain are speaking from the same hallowed halls of truth.

December 30, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joy

@Lee: It is with the grace of God that I exersize restraint from responding the way I would like to to your comment. However, I love you as Christ does and so be well, be fruitful in your life and may the blessings of God find the way to your doorstep.

December 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ron regan

Hey St Germaine,come the rapture,can I have your car?

December 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ron regan

Drink the punch!It's to die for!

December 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. St. Germain

YES YOU MAY BESIDES COME THE RAPURE ALL CARS WONT WORK INCLUDING ELECTRIC EQUIPMENT REMEMBER ALL TOYS ARE CONNECTED TO THE GRID UP IN SPACE AND THE ELITES WHO WANT TO BRING THE EVIL NEW WORLD ORDER ARE GOING TO DESTROY IT, LIFE ON EARTH WILL BECOME UNBEARABLE FOOD WILL BE SCARCE

December 30, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. St. Germain

THE WHOLE PLANET IS ENERGY JUST GO OUTSIDE AND CAST LOVE UNTO THE PLANET AND SEE JETS AND HELICOPTERS CIRCLING YOU THEY DO THAT BECAUSE THEY HAVE SENSORS AND THEY CAN'T STAND HUMAN LOVE ENERGY BECAUSE IT COMES FROM GOD, GOD IS LOVE PERIOD!! THE NATO MILITARY EQUIPMENT COMES FROM THE DRACO'S WE DONT NEED WEAPONS JUST LOVE, IS SO POWEFUL THAT THEY SEE THAT ENERGY AND THEY TREMBLE!

December 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ron regan

Where can I get me a matrix thing? I'd be the envy of the whole dang trailer park! Sheeeeewweeee! Just magine what my 78 pinto could do with a flux capacitor under the hood,I could go back in time and save jesus! How come nobody EVER says that? Such true believers? evolve people,evolve!

December 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. St. Germain

I CAST MY UNCONDITIONAL LOVE UPON THIS SITE, LET ALL SOULS WAKE UP TO REALITY AMEN

December 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flippy1124

LOL!! You're funny

December 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. St. Germain

RON YOU THINK JESUS CHRIST IS A JOKE, YOU ARE A FOOL HE IS LOOSING PATIENCE WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU! REPTILANS ARE REAL GOOGLE IT UP!!!

December 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. St. Germain

GOOGLE THULE SECRET SOCEITY AND VRIL SECRET SOCEITY THEY ARE THE BLOODLINE OF THE REPTILIANS, THE THULEAND VRIL ARE GUILTY FOR THE HOLOCAUST AND THE RISE OF HITLER, HITLER RECIEVED ALL BLESSINGS FROM THEM THE SKULL AND BONES SECRET SOCIETY IS ALSO THULE,

December 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |