Indiana earthquake: a 'very loud boom'
December 30th, 2010

Indiana earthquake: a 'very loud boom'

[Update 12:14 p.m.:] The U.S. Geological Survey has downgraded the earthquake from a 4.2 magnitude to a 3.8 magnitude.

[Original post] Debra Sholty was just opening up her business Thursday morning in Kokomo, Indiana, when a magnitude 4.2 earthquake rumbled through the north-central part of the state.

"It was like a huge explosion under your feet," said Sholty, the owner of Hobson Cleaners.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake struck just before 8 a.m. ET and was three miles deep. Its epicenter was located about 15 miles east-southeast of Kokomo, and 50 miles north of Indianapolis.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Indiana
  1. DerpDiggler

Those darn dwarves always make such a racket down there.

December 30, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. gunit

4.2 magnitude??? probably an elephant farted.

December 30, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nat

One thing we can all agree on is no one lives forever ...where u go in the after is up to u...choose the one true God..Jesus is the way,truth and light..

December 30, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • DerpDiggler

Nobody lives forever, which is true, but the rest is just hilarity and bs. Where people go in the after? There is no after. There is life then death. That's it, bud.

December 30, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. bambam

Amen nat we will meat our maker its he will come like a theif in the night we won't even no what hit us until the after math I going thru the gates to live forever with my maker the father the son and the holyghost amen

December 30, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike Smith

babam, we get to "meat our maker"? Haha if there was ever a better use of the ignorance of spelling, I haven't seen it. Your beliefs are childish, silly and sad and beliefs like that continue to ruin us as a people. Like DerpDiggler said above, there's life then death, that's it bud.

December 30, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Richard in Texas

Thanks for the surmon and now back to the subject on hand. The earthquake. How frequent are they in Indiana?

December 30, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Yep

Arkansas and Oklahoma are where most are, recently.

December 30, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • J

Not very, second in to years, although the first was in Illinois, it was felt here. i believe it was around 5.8.

January 2, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Nat

the correct spelling is sermon..its ok though we all make mistakes...We all need the compassion of a savior...Jesus..wonderful savior!!!!

December 30, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Richard in Texas

Opps finger got away from me on the sermon spelling. Blackberries are not easiest things to type on.

December 30, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bambam

Don't worry mike smith I will pray for you bud you can't say anything that will change the truth amen

December 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Big Joe

@Mike Smith: If you have a problem, meat me behind the jim. We'll sea whose a man, accept on Sunday as eye go too church.

December 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bambam

You laugh at my spelling if you want my dad took me out of school at a young age I became one of the greatest brick masons around so I have no regrets I can't help that ur a helper of the devil you'll suffer not me I no for a fact there is a god and he can help you nonbeliever also

December 30, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bambam

Way to go big joe but as much as I'd like to slap him to the ground god would not like it but live in gadsden alabama if he would like to set up an appointment

December 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Veritas

@Derpdingleberry and mike smith for reasons of his own God has left you out of the loop. So indeed when you two die there will be nothing but death. For those of us blessed by his love and grace however there is a life anew with our creator in heaven. Perhaps you should concern yourselves with the lack of faith and peace in your own souls rather than try to push your empty dark feelings on those of us who bask in Gods light and thrive on his love. i will pray for you both.

December 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ONEstarMAN

CEEM the Center for the Exploration of Energy and Matter at the University of Indiana has been sending beams of unstable anti-neutrinos through the rock under the lab to detectors in other labs in Indiana and Minnesota as part of an experiment that calls into doubt our understanding of the Standard Model of Particle Physics. Boom.

December 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucien

is there an I-phone App that will log the exact opposite side of the Earth or (SEa) for some sign on interesting news? Not that I have an I-phone yet (waiting till they get cheaper!) Interesting that this took place on a waning moon cycle, yet the solstice tidal forces are in effect on the Earth's mantle~
      Most West Coaster's view such mag Earthquakes as benign releases of Earth Energy/ I'll extend thanks and best wishes that no person(S) reported injury!

December 31, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nat

Amem Veritas!!

December 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Veritas

@Derpdingleberry and mike smith i feel sorry for the empty place your life is. What i figure is you're jealous of others who know the truth. God created you so i know he loves you. Why he has'nt shown himself to you is a mystery that i can't answer but he has chosen not to include you in his kingdom. Perhaps rather than faulting a mega majority who can read and see miracles everywhere, you should look at the miniscule minority to which you belong. The blind eye i can assure you is yours not ours.

December 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |