Indiana earthquake: a 'very loud boom'
December 30th, 2010

Indiana earthquake: a 'very loud boom'

[Update 12:14 p.m.:] The U.S. Geological Survey has downgraded the earthquake from a 4.2 magnitude to a 3.8 magnitude.

[Original post] Debra Sholty was just opening up her business Thursday morning in Kokomo, Indiana, when a magnitude 4.2 earthquake rumbled through the north-central part of the state.

"It was like a huge explosion under your feet," said Sholty, the owner of Hobson Cleaners.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake struck just before 8 a.m. ET and was three miles deep. Its epicenter was located about 15 miles east-southeast of Kokomo, and 50 miles north of Indianapolis.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Indiana
  1. Lana

I appreciate everyone feels they have something else they want to talk about. But has anyone thought to ask about the BOOM this created? I have never heard an explosive boom like this in an earthquake. I was sitting at work in Indianapolis when I heard what sounded like an explosion. This explosive rumble impacted the building, the windows. I felt more from that boom than I felt quake beneath my feet. Are there any other Indiana residents who thought this was an explosion? I was amazed to find out a few minutes later online that it was an earthquake.

I would like to hear from someone who knows about seismology and earthquakes. Do earthquakes cause this kind of explosive boom? It's very deceptive. People I know who live in Kokomo near the epicenter of this quake called and reported an explosion to the police...not an earthquake. I would just like to know if it is common to hear such a loud boom. Thanks to anyone who can lend an intelligent answer.

December 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth Miller

If there any gas well fracking going on in the area?

December 30, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evansville Mom

Down here in Evansville, there was an earthquake a few years ago that woke me up. It was louder than strong. I could tell it was an earthquake, though.

December 31, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. mr. Loveit

hey look the christians are finally leaving us.. Must be the new worldwide ban on wine and liqour. But no worries..we like it here and we have the love that no wine or prosacs will ever equal. No time is strange as only the drunken have no science or history of intellect as we see a clear future.

December 30, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. 2100

@Lana , im telling u they (shadow-gov.) are working undergrouund building city-like complexs for themselves so when armegeddon comes they think they will be safe down there/ see for yourself – google secret undergroud bases/cities , its all there just read it.......

December 30, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 2100

Oh by the way- there is no fault lines in indiana / GO FIGURE ? ?

December 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bambam

When us Christians do leave you will beg for mercy

December 30, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bambam

I don't think there is a boom it just shakes the ground I've been in one in my life and did not hear no boom

December 30, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. phil

I don't know why anyone would want to leave this earth. Seems to me a truly loving God who spent so much time and energy making us this home would kick that bad people out and leave the good people to enjoy this earth the way he originally purposed. There's nothing wrong with the earth once those ruining it are gone.

December 30, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. phil

I've experienced several earthquakes. None of them came with a "boom" though. This is very odd.

December 30, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Elizabeth Miller

Lana –
    More than 500 measurable earthquakes have been reported in central Arkansas since Sept. 20, 2010 to Dec. 24. Normal for a year in Arkansas is under 100 quakes. Experts are looking at salt water disposal wells where drilling waste (fracking water loaded with chemicals) is injected back into the earth after drilling. Hope there's not a lot of fracking happening there but if there is it might be worth thinking about.

December 30, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ed Bailey

Yes! Earthquakes can and do create a loud explosive sound that sounds very similar to artillery fire. The doppler effect can also be pretty impressive. I was tired and struggling through a lamaze class with my wife. I was sitting on the floor with my head against a window sill. A 4.9 boomer cracked loose directly below the area. The women, all 17 rolled out of their bean bag chairs.the only injury was me. It fely like I was hit with a sledgehammer. The sonic boom was very much like standind behind a tank in the army.I was also in the loma priarda and that one was more of a rumbling sound. But visually was absolutely astonishing!

December 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. phil

@Ed...so you heard an explosion while you at the lamaze class? Like, if you were calling a friend and telling them what happened, you would tell them there was an explosion rather than telling them it was an earthquake?

December 30, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 2100

So thats the cover story they tell(GOV.) you people, (FRACKING) oh dont worry about the earth quake today people of indiana ,"It was the FRACKING." This was an EARTH ! QAUKE !! PEOPLE !..... If you think the GOV. Does'nt hide secrets from us then you just have your head buried in the sand / ah thats why certain programs R deemed TOPSECRET/CLASSIFIED . Wake up sleepyhead...

December 30, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phil

@2100...we know earthquake activity is increasing. We are just wondering if our extracting hydrocarbons from the earth might have something to do with it.

December 30, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. phil

According to the USGS (US Geological Survey) the US rarely experiences major earthquakes, and the frequency of our most common earthquakes has increased over 50% in the last 10 years.] This is not because we have developed more accurate ways of detecting eq's, it's because we are experiencing more eq's.

December 31, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. 2100

Ahh-MS. miller / I lived in SO.CAL. When i was younger n been through many qaukes, earth quakes dont start off with a explosion!!! They start off with a low-tone gradual RUMBLE that intensifies with the magnitude of the qauke , as you sit there trough the shake,rattle, n roll. Its also a well known fact our GOV. Detonated many underground NUKES in pre-cold war testing and guess what the earth shook, what happened today is withen our GOVERMENTS ability.

December 31, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |