NFL fines Jets $100,000 for coach's tripping incident
December 30th, 2010

NFL fines Jets $100,000 for coach's tripping incident

The National Football League fined the New York Jets $100,000 in connection with a coach’s tripping of an opposing player along the sideline during a game this month, the Jets said Thursday.

The Jets earlier this month fined and indefinitely suspended strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi (pictured) after he admitted intentionally tripping rookie Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll during a punt in the third quarter of the Dolphins’ 10-6 win over the Jets on December 12.

"We will comply with the league’s decision," the Jets said in a statement on its website Thursday.

Carroll, covered by two Jets players, was running along the sideline toward the Jets punt returner when the incident happened at the New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey. Video shows Carroll was out of bounds and trying to run back in the field of play when Alosi - standing with Jets players on the out-of-bounds edge of the sideline - leaned his left knee forward. The knee caught Carroll, who tumbled to the ground.

Carroll was shaken up but eventually walked to his sideline on his own power. He returned to the game in the fourth quarter.

The team initially suspended Alosi for the rest of the season and fined him $25,000 after his admission. But on December 15, the team said it learned that Alosi instructed players to stand with him near their sideline – even though Alosi had told reporters that no one had instructed anyone to stand close to the sidelines to prevent the Dolphins from running out of bounds. The team then suspended Alosi indefinitely.

The Jets have said they’re reviewing Alosi’s case and could opt to fire him.

Alosi, who played linebacker at Hofstra, joined the Jets as an intern in 2002 before serving as their assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2003 to 2005. He worked one year with the Atlanta Falcons before returning to the Jets as their head strength and conditioning coach in 2007.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports
  1. Big Joe

Thatds stupid. Leave him alone

December 30, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • slick sal

Give him a second chance....just like vick

December 31, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
    • mwestf

They should terminate his contract and he should be banned by the NFL. This conduct is just unacceptable.

December 31, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
    • maryann

no room in football for creeps like him!

December 31, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • JohnP

This clown needs to be fired. What a disgrace.

December 31, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • kygirl30

Vick served prison time and had to start from 2nd/3rd string.

December 31, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • pauletteb

What's stupd is that the Jets haven't fired him yet. He should also be barred from the sport for life. His actions could have resulted in permanent injury, even death. Even worse, he got others involved in his actions . . . a major blot on the team.

December 31, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • IceT

pauletteb ... (cue horror music) Fire him! Could've resulted in permanent injury or even DEATH!!
      Get a grip, could you & some others here be more overly dramatic?!!

December 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • tcaros

They need to ban this guy from the NFL. He doesn't represent sportsmanship.

The NFL needs to crack down on player fighting as well.

January 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. WILLIE JONES

That was a childish and immature thing to do. Your a proffessional man, younger kids seen that. He shouldn't be allowed to be a head conditioning coach no more.

December 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I can't take anyone's opinion seriously if their post is riddled with that many errors.

I ain't taking no ones onion seriously if they post has bad grammars, as you would say.

December 30, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • creeper

@david;
      we're sorry the education some receive is not as strong as your ivy league knowledge. pardon the illiterates.
      how rude dude. really -__________-
      SPEAK DA TRUTH WILLIE
      and just to annoy david:
      da wattt. pweeezzzzz dawnt twip anyownnee againnn. sawwwwy i stowle de lastt cooky from the cooky jar

December 30, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carlos Fontes

Hey Willie, don't worry about this guy. You keep expressing yourself and saying what's on your mind and let David worry about spell checking with a red pen. I agree with you about the image this gives impressionable kids. He should have known better.

December 30, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

December 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

David,

If you are so educated, then it should be easy for you to at least understand his opinon. And one MANY agree with, including MANY educated people. So take it from this educated individual. He speaks the truth.

December 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I don't quite understand why the NFL is fining the team. I completely agree with the fining of the coach, the suspension and (hoppefully) the enventual firing of the coach. But what did the team actually do to deserve such a punishment?

December 30, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • publius enigma

@david: they fined the team so they wouldnt have to fire every player that went along with it.

December 30, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

Hey David, your grammar isn't all that much to rave about...opinion is spelled as such..not onion or opinon....

December 30, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • gioiamt

Well, David, apparently you were not paying attention when they taught you the difference between a subject pronoun and an object pronoun. It should be "the difference between Willie and me"..... not "Willie and I."

December 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • physicist

@David (post of 10:18 PM):

YOU need to go back to basics. Per your statement (included below), "The difference between Willie and I..." should read "The difference between Willie and ME..." Also, "Willie should be ashamed, and should take an adult literacy class." If you had been paying attention in school, you, a supposed literate individual, would have written the statement as, "Willie should be ashamed and should take an adult literacy class." David, YOU should be ashamed. David, pay attention to this (if your attention span can last the nanosecond or two to process this): "People in glass houses should not throw stones."
      Apparently, you did not pay enough attention in school... NB: There are two other mistakes in your statement, and I shall leave it up to you to find them. Catch them if you can!

"David

So, when you say "Ivy League", you really mean "inner city public school", right? The difference between Willie and I (and the two who actually defended the fellow with atrocious grammar) is that I paid attention in school. You folks make Americans look stupid...and everyone is wondering why we're on a downward trajectory here? It's because people accept less than excellence when it comes to education. Willie should be ashamed, and should take an adult literacy class."
      December 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm

December 30, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

hoppefully?

December 30, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curmudgeon

Hey David-As a grammarian you suck–it should be Willie and me, not Willie and I–

December 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • NWiReporter

great.. another grammar war
      and to think i just wasted 2 minutes reading this page
      does every CNN page have to have one in the comments?

December 31, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Earwax

David, I got you on this one. There's no excuse for writing that poor. It's just laziness.

December 31, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • karen

@David, I think you meant to write: "...the difference between Willie and ME..." You made a few other minor errors: a misspelling, an unnecessary comma, but my post probably isn't error-free, either.

Funny how people don't seem to correct the grammar of people they agree with. Guess it's easier than disagreeing respectfully.

I think the coach should be fired. He's supposed to be a professional. He makes a professional's salary. He willfully committed an unsportsmanlike, possibly criminal act against an opposing team's player, on live TV.

December 31, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • me

David is a prime example of someone who feels he must knock the pedestal from beneath someone in order to place himself (relatively speaking) "above" another person. Such a shame that exists...

December 31, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • You are an idiot

Lol wow that little paragraph tells a lot about you. I rarely see a sentence with that many errors in it Younger kids SAW that.....and it's ANY more Things I can tell about you – you're white, uneducated, from the south, and just overall dumb. You MAY have finished high school but College was never a thought.

December 31, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • rtfa

This is incredibly entertaining. Please continue.

December 31, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • David

I agree with what Willie wrote, but I do not condone the way he wrote it.

December 31, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Karen and Al: opinion was purposely misspelled as "onion" for comedic value. I don't misspell words.

December 31, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
    • David Crys

Hey David, spell check this... FVCK YOU.

December 31, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
    • David Crys

And Willie, homey, you do need to brush up on your grammar dude.

December 31, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • tct

David: OK, don't take his onion seriously, he not lit writ lyk u!

December 31, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Huh

David says: "There is nothing improper about my use of the "I" pronoun (in that instance, either "I" or "me" is acceptable)."

Either one is acceptable? Really? Between we, me thinks you wrong.

December 31, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • jeffers

David wrote: "There is nothing improper about my use of the "I" pronoun (in that instance, either "I" or "me" is acceptable). The comma is not extraneous, either- I separated two distinct parts of the sentence. I never stated that I was/am the best at my grammar, but I do know how to construct a sentence that others can understand clearly. I couldn't care less about certain rules of grammar, but spelling and clarity are not optional. I think it's great that I seem to have everyone so riled up; if criticizing me means that we (as a society) can put more focus on language, then I gladly accept it. If one individual can honestly tell me that they did not understand my post, I will rescind my criticism of Willie.

I agree with what Willie wrote, but I do not condone the way he wrote it."

David, you are just wrong when you said that using "I" was not wrong. It's just wrong, dude. Same with the comma–it's not just used to separate two distinct parts of the sentence, unelss the second part would itself be a complete sentence without the "and.".

You seem to imply in this post that the key to it all is that everyone could understand what you said. Applying that logic, you, by agreeing with WIllie's post, understood his post. By your own reasoning, then, Willie's post should not be criticized for errors.

While I agree that Willie's post was rife with error, I also understood exactly what he said. In bulletin board forums, grammar, punctuation, and spelling are loose at best. Choose your battles.

December 31, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Benoit99

It is not correct to say "The difference between Willie and I .....because in this case "Willie and I" are the objects of the sentence, not the subjects of the sentence. The subject comes later in the sentence "I paid attention in school." When the first person is the object of the sentence you would use "Me" when the first person is the subject of the sentence you would say "I." A good test is to drop the second person and see if the sentence still sounds correct. It would feel awkward to say "The difference between I"....or also try to switch the people in the sentence. "The difference between I and Willie..."

David Wrote: So, when you say "Ivy League", you really mean "inner city public school", right? The difference between Willie and I (and the two who actually defended the fellow with atrocious grammar) is that I paid attention in school. You folks make Americans look stupid...and everyone is wondering why we're on a downward trajectory here? It's because people accept less than excellence when it comes to education. Willie should be ashamed, and should take an adult literacy class.

December 31, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • pauletteb

@David: That should be "between Willie and me" . . . glass houses and all that.

December 31, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • bringit

This is what sports-minded individuals do, argue. What a bunch of losers.

December 31, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. boltthrower

f%%&en idiot he got whats coming to him. He's just another greedy p.o.s way to go america!!!

December 30, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Critical Thinker

What was he thinking? i don't believe head coach or other influential people didn't know his shameful intentions earlier..he could just be scapegoat now..Whatever the case might be...this kind of rogues should be made example of and kicked out of NFL for life......

December 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Andre

What a bunch of cry babies!!! The NFL, some fans, uau! Why are players running so far off the side lines? Why are the lines there for then? And that's not even the point. The point is that this is not a big deal at all!!! And that's what I think!

December 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • DavidfromFL

Andre, this is a safety concern! That dumb coach could have broke that player's leg or God forbid paralyzed him! Football players run at an immense speed and for someone to trip them like that is just plain immoral. A strength and conditioning coach should know better. I hope the only job he gets now is at McDonalds and he could trip people there with a broom.

December 30, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • steeve-o

It could have been a bigger issue if the gunner was injured. The Dolphins player had already broken his leg twice in his career, this definitely could have ended it. It IS a big deal. Football is an even sport; eleven guys versus eleven guys. It isn't a fair game when inactive players on the sidelines can conspire to interfere with the game.

December 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • IceT

David...the coach was substantially more likely to have been injured than the fully padded player. The player had extremely low risk of injury.

December 30, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chas-o

I agree with Andre. Enough is enough about this. The coach made a mistake and is suffering the consequences. The media is even trying to now re-write history as the article states that the Dolphins player was "trying to run back in the field of play." No he wasn't – he was running at an angle that would have kept him out of bounds for five to ten more yards at least. Players trip over each other all the time going at full speed – its part of the sport. I'm not saying what the coach did was in anyway justifiable, but the sidelines inherently do not offer the same protections to the players as actually being on the field. What if he had tripped on a discarded water bottle? Had the player stayed on the field in the first place (or returned to the field by running at an angle that would have got him them quicker) none of this would have happened.

December 31, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • steeve-o

He was trying to run away from coverage, that's what he was supposed to do. He was double covered from the line of scrimmage. He had the option of running into the field and getting hung up, or running around both defenders. I think the coaches were in on it, the guys on the field knew he'd run to the sideline. They were trying to hang him up out of bounds so he'd get flagged. It was a dirty play, that was planned more than you think.

December 31, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. caliconor

The Jets need to fire him. They might have not been fined as high if they fired him right away.

December 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jessica

Wow... this is something that I wouldn't even expect to see in a highschool ball game... Really shows a coach's skill when it comes down to him having to trip an oposing player so his team has a chance... Ha!

December 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. daniel evan opheim

Another example of how NOT to run a team...

December 30, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. angrywoman

It's pathetic. He should be fired.

December 30, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. texas jim

Come down here in Texas were we really play. We get even on the field and call it a day.

December 30, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Open Sesame

were = where.....and I wouldn't say you Texans really came to play this year. Dallas & Houston....umm, I just don't know what to say about those two.

December 30, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marcus14006

What a terrible example to set for our already troubled youth. Fire him now.

December 30, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Something tells me that your typical "troubled youth" doesn't take white men as his role models.

December 30, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mom

He should be fined, then fired and then banned from football through eternity. This is poor sportsmanship to the nth degree. Perhaps he should join corporate America or enter politics where this behavior is acceptable practice. NOT!

December 30, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cw

Does this mean that the Jets will finally shut the f up about the Patriots "cheating" and deal with a few of their sundry of issues.

December 30, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • steeve-o

Mmmm... no, I doubt they'll give that up.

December 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paula

Amen! The Pats tooks a few pictures-they didn't try to mame anyone.

December 31, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bobolink01

Where is the "Good sportsmanship" in purposely tripping someone? What is there to idolize? The game has worms.

December 30, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Susan Skinner

Fired and banned from football permanently. He not only cheated, he involved others and then lied. That is three strikes right there.

December 30, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |