Homeland security chief arrives in Afghanistan
December 31st, 2010

Homeland security chief arrives in Afghanistan

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano arrived in Afghanistan Friday and planned to spend New Year's Eve with U.S. troops in the region.

She reviewed security operations at a key point along the Pakistani border - part of an ongoing U.S. effort to strengthen Afghanistan's border police.

"Building and maintaining a strong border crossing system is critical to the stability and security of Afghanistan," Napolitano said in a written statement. "Over the past year, the Department of Homeland Security has worked closely with the Afghan government to help establish a border security and customs system to counter terrorism while facilitating legitimate travel and trade."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • U.S.
  1. Daniel

More right-wing bla-bla-bla. It never ends. We have absolutely no right to be there!

December 31, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kevin G. in Texas

What is SHE doing over there? She occupies the position of Secretary of Homeland Security. She has mangled those responsibilities here and she's over THERE? This looks like political reputation rehabilitation more than anything else. WE ARE PAYING FOR ALL OF THIS and we continue to get ZERO results for the $45B that we borrow each year to pay for HSA.

December 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ernie

The Afghans are in worse trouble if she is going to advise them on "border security", just look at our own borders that she is suppose to be securing. More sight-seeing on tax payers tab.

December 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. phil

Maybe we need an "Department of Outland Security." It makes as much sense to send the Homeland security chief to Afghanistan as it does to send the Louisianna National Guard to fight in Iraq so that when a national threat like hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans, you could hire Blackwater to fill-in for the missing National guardsmen. And that is exactly what was done. It makes no sense whatsover.

December 31, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. phil

Ernie...good point you make there.

December 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Texan

Why the in the heII didn't she go to El Paso or Laredo? I mean..Homeland security! Scheeez, more waste of our tax money.

December 31, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GaGa

Our current government is so CLUELESS.

December 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Wade

NAPPY has absolutely NO business in Afghanistan, She hasn't vilified Homeland NONsecurity enough at home – now she has to victimize the troops with her stupidity.

December 31, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

Right on! Nappy won't even secure our own southern border and yet is trying to secure afganistan's border? Is this a joke?

January 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. phil

Oh-oh, now I'm agreeing with Ga Ga ! Just kidding. I've enjoyed our cross-whitted discussions.

December 31, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • GaGa

That's OK Phil, you can agree with me. I'm usually right aren't I?

December 31, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your Homeland English teacher

Um, phil, it's "witted" not "whitted".

December 31, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bipar08

how much is this costing the taxpayers? and why leave the us on new years eve, does she know something that we don't

December 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. phil

Oh! Yeah, my spelling isn't even as good as it was when I was a school kid. But I don't let that hold me back from trying!

December 31, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. phil

Yeah, you are Ga Ga...but not always. And that's where I usually butt-in. He-he You seem like a fair enough person to me. You certainly have a head on your shoulders ! And this I admire. Where are you from? (no need to be overly specific)

December 31, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phil

@my homeland security teacher...I can't seem to find where I spelled 'witted' incorrectly. Do you recall? I'm sure you are right, I just can't remember what board it was on.

December 31, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mr. Loveit

excellent...as the above posts make clear. Keep her there. No reason to come back to a primitive and non stabile sectarian tribal country. She has made her escape into civilization. Perfect

December 31, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mr. Loveit

and remember janet... No drinking on the job in a non drinking country...everyone agrees including the tea party people. Keep her there.

December 31, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |