Man hit by SUV while playing live Frogger
December 31st, 2010

Man hit by SUV while playing live Frogger

A man in Clemson, South Carolina, had to be hospitalized after he was hit by an SUV while playing a live version of an arcade game, CNN affiliate WYFF reports.

The 23-year-old man and some friends were acting out the video game Frogger, in which players try to send frogs across a busy highway without getting run over.

Police said the man, whose name was not released, yelled "Go!" and darted into traffic, where he was struck by a 2010 Lexus SUV.

He was treated at a local hospital and released. He is not a Clemson University student, police noted. Neither he nor the SUV driver was charged, police told WYFF.

London's Daily Mail Online compared the incident to an episode of "Seinfeld" in which George Costanza tries to move a video game across a busy street.

The photo above is a screen shot of Konami's Frogger game, which was released in 1981.

Post by:
Filed under: South Carolina • U.S.
  1. Jeff Frank

Here's an example of one town, Seattle Washington. EXAMPLE: WAC 132E-16-040 Pedestrians - Right of way.
    Take notice to subpar (2). (2) Pedestrian sudden movements. No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to stop. Pedestrians have and always will have the right of way? Apparently all gamers are saints? I occasionally "game", just not like this.

December 31, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Richard in Texas

Culling the heard

December 31, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Really???

That's herd.

December 31, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

Illiterates like yourself should be next.

January 1, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. SuzieJoeBob

My family and I usually joke about "Real-Life Frogger", but I didn't think someone would actually be stupid enough to do it!

II think he lost a life, but don't worry; he has two more left!

December 31, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. phil

@Jeff the frank...tell that to a mommy running out into the street to retrieve her child who became startled when aggressive drivers started honking at each other.

December 31, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. phil

"Has not the weakest babe a more enourmous value, because he is a potential man, than the highest grove of the tallest trees [or you speeding down the road trying to get to Blockbuster Video before the store closes to avoid having to pay extra for that game you rented ]."–Cicero

December 31, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. tony glasper

well at least he wasn't test messaging lol.

December 31, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Oggie

Sounds like a candidate for the Darwin Award. You can't fix (or legislate) stupid. Too bad the idiot lived. He should've been charged with reckless endangerment. I feel for the driver that hit him.

December 31, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. phil

Human life wil always be more important than you getting to work on time. So slow down where people are walking, and rather than reaching for that ringing cellphone or stuffing that McDonald's Egg McMuffin down your pie-hole while driving, look-out for pedestrians.

December 31, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • evol

"Clemson Police say the 23-year old man was with some friends at the intersection of two highways around 9:00 p.m."

The guy put many in danger including his own life, of course, and his friends. When I am driving on a highway, even driving through an intersection of two highways, the last thing I expect to see is some guy playing on the road.

You are very limited to where you can drive. Almost limitless to where you can play.

I think most here thinks the guy should be charged. I think he should. But perhaps the police is using good judgment. I bet the 23 year old guy learned more then jail/fine would ever teach. If he didn't learn, then he is a true idiot.

December 31, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

phil...i know the guy and he is an idiot. the driver could not have avoided this. it was dark and it was on a highway. its not like people drive 15 mph and can stop. the speed limit is 45. this guy was playing the video game and deserved to be hit. by the way, you are a jack@$$!

December 31, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. les

The best outcome from this is that he doesn't get to breed. The Founding Fathers would be appalled.

December 31, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NOLA Saints

Phil must not own a car. When my child was young I ALWAYS held her hand so that if she was "startled" by the honking od horns, she could NOT run into the street. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions. This moron playing Leap Frog should be fined and or charged!

December 31, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brainiac

The idiot 'gamer' may not be charged with a crime but he should pay for any damages to the car.

December 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Veritas

He's a moron plain and simple. If this type of behavior is ignored someone could very well get killed.

December 31, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phil

My postings were not just about one less than intelligent man playing where he shouldn't have been. They were concerning the principle that human life is more valuable than saving time. When we drive we should be more concerned with saving lives than we are with saving time. And who hasn't noticed the way many people drive these days. Using their horns as an extention of their middle-finger, tailgaiting, yacking on their cellphones as if each call can't wait, stuffing cheezburgers down their throat's with one hand while reaching for a 44oz. drink with the other, swerving in and out of lanes as if in a race to the next stoplight. Callous disregard for human life.

December 31, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • evol

The 23 year old put many more in danger the the person driving the SUV. The SUV could have swerved to miss the 23 year old and hit another car and or hit his friends. Nowhere have I read the SUV was doing anything like eating, texting, or even driving fast. The fact is the 23 year old playing on the highway...

I see your point Phil. But I don't think the SUV has any fault here.

December 31, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. phil

@evol...read my post directly above yours and see that this one news story is not my focal point. The aforementioned principle is.

December 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • evol

Again, as I said, I see your point. There are a lot more idiots driving then there are playing on a highway.

Your posts make it look like the SUV is at fault. Sure, there is a lot we don't know. He could have sneezed right before he struck the 23 year old. We just don't know. We do know the guy was ON THE HIGHWAY PLAYING.

One of the worse things anybody can do is drive at different speeds then the traffic flow. If traffic is going 90mph, it is safer to drive 90 then it is to drive 70mph. You have to think about it. Sure most can slow back down to 70. But in heavy traffic, the time gets less and less the further back you are when you have to react to slow down. I seen it many times. You seem to be saying that if a person is walking near the highway, we should start hitting the breaks? I think not.

People need to pay attention and keep your mind on the road. With the exception of using crosswalks, pedestrians need to stay off the roads, period. Mom and dad need to keep an eye on their children.

I was run over with severe injuries (I still feel it after 12 years). I rarely drive anymore (gas to expensive, to expensive to drive for me). I ride a bicycle and I use my head when I do. I pay attention. Any pedestrian can and should use some common sense. As well as the people in cars.

I see you point. But it isn't always the drivers fault.

December 31, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Truth be told

**SPLAT** 1 frog. I mean !@!*#, left.

December 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |