Man hit by SUV while playing live Frogger
December 31st, 2010

Man hit by SUV while playing live Frogger

A man in Clemson, South Carolina, had to be hospitalized after he was hit by an SUV while playing a live version of an arcade game, CNN affiliate WYFF reports.

The 23-year-old man and some friends were acting out the video game Frogger, in which players try to send frogs across a busy highway without getting run over.

Police said the man, whose name was not released, yelled "Go!" and darted into traffic, where he was struck by a 2010 Lexus SUV.

He was treated at a local hospital and released. He is not a Clemson University student, police noted. Neither he nor the SUV driver was charged, police told WYFF.

London's Daily Mail Online compared the incident to an episode of "Seinfeld" in which George Costanza tries to move a video game across a busy street.

The photo above is a screen shot of Konami's Frogger game, which was released in 1981.

Post by:
Filed under: South Carolina • U.S.
  1. DoubleW

Obviously, this guy was cheated of his place in the Darwin Awards! Better luck next time...

December 31, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kim

cant fix stupid

December 31, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jay

Please do it again. Come on, pretty please!

December 31, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rapturus

Please tell me this idiot was drunk or high! Really...I would hope an uninibriated person wouldn't be so stupid! Are they going to step up to a better arcade game and play Tekken, or maybe they'll play Mario and throw turtles around! Jeeze, no brains! NONE!

December 31, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Negativeangel

Idiot.

December 31, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SKRILLA GORILLA

Flash mob on the freeway

December 31, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. go team

Why would a grown bunch of people play in traffic, get a life. Do something constructive.

December 31, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Really???

GAME OVER!

December 31, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. OK

Novice

December 31, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chumb

I haven't laughed this much in a while.

December 31, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. amy

Darwin awards

December 31, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. phil

@ evol...I agree with you concerning this article, but not about driving at 90mph for the sake of traffic flow. It takes a healthy human 4 tenths of a second to react. That's how long it takes for a thought formulated in the human mind to formulate, make a decision to hit the brakes, and actually hit the brakes. At 90 mph, there simply isn't enough room between vehicles fore and aft and side-to-side to allow this process to occur. Germany kinda get's away with it, but their highways are near perfect, their cars don't come with cup-holders, they are great at yielding, and it is illegal to pass on the right. advantages we simply do not have.

December 31, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • evol

I knew there was a number there somewhere. I see you understand what I was trying to say. That four tenths adds up and I have seen in my rear view cars leaving the highway to avoid a collision. Me, I wouldn't look at the car in front of me. I would look as far up the road as possible. I do what ever to alert the guy behind me. I hate using breaks.

The 90mph was hypothetical. Rarely, where I was, would traffic even go the speed limit. But no matter the speed, IMO you should go with the flow.

December 31, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phil

I'll never forget my first experience driving in Germany. I missed my connecting flight from Chicago O'hare to London Heathrow, and so was forced to take a flight destined for Hannover instead of Munich where I was headed. So I rented a VW Passat station wagon in hannover. Driving to Munich, I kept seeing these signs..' Ausfart'. I thought Ausfart was a big city I'd never heard of. It's German for 'Exit'. he he...anyway, I felt comfortable driving at 100 mph, the road was soooo smoothe. Then i got passed by a garbage truck! No kidding! He must of been doing 120. If you ever get an opportunity to visit Germany, I highly recommend you go. wonderful place.

December 31, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • evol

Hehehe yes!!!! Speed don't kill. 😉

On an open highway I would always drive as fast as I could go. Fastest I was ever caught was 15 over the limit and the cop gave me 14 to avoid court. God knows I am guilty of much faster.

LOL @ no cup holders.

December 31, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

"Weeding out the gene pool!" (idiot should have been charged with reckless endangerment, especially because there could have been children in the SUV and the driver could have hit someone else while trying to avoid "Darwin".

December 31, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Loud Noises

Wow. It is amazing how stupid people are.

December 31, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |