Supervisors 'wanted to send a message to the mayor'
December 31st, 2010

Supervisors 'wanted to send a message to the mayor'

New York City Councilman Daniel Halloran talks to "American Morning" about allegations that union workers slowed the cleanup of the blizzard-socked city to get back at Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • TV-American Morning • U.S. • Winter weather
  1. NoDoubt

I'm sorry but if I were the mother of that baby that died and it was found out that the delays were intentional, I'd be OWNING New York city.

December 31, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mr. R

If the delays were caused by the experimentation going on in privatisation and Small Government then surely that should be broadcast always as yet another failure of Small Government and Right Wing misrule. Naturally, it won't. It doesn't make powerful people more power to say that.

December 31, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. go team

I sincerely hope and pray the snow removal slowdown was not done on purpose.

December 31, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mr. R

If the public sector unions have the power of life and death over the people, as is being suggested, then surely annoying them is foolishness. I know that when the rich and powerful have such power, and someone annoys them, and there are negative repercussions such a job losses, suicides and the like, they always say "That's what you get when annoying these powerful people and not giving them everything they want". Why the double standard? Why not say "the mayor stupidly annoyed people with the power of life and death over the people and people died. Therefore, it's the mayor's fault" – a bit like when in the Bible people annoy God and God rains down wrath. It's accepted that plutocrats are cast as the faultless gods, why not the public sector unions? It's also obvious that the unionised workers are far more essential than derivatives traders and their pay should reflect that.

That said, the only proof to claim any deliberate work to rule has been the fact that the mayor wronged the workers and therefore it is "expected" that they'd retaliate. That is the only proof so far. The proof is in fact an offence done against the union and workers by the mayor, not anything the workers have done. Again, railroading people is an easy matter if all that is required is for someone to attack the target, wrong the target, and manufacture a motive for a new crime for which the person is lynched.

December 31, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

It wasn't something the workers did- it was something he workers didn't do – DAYS later. It has snowed before and NYC DOS ha done a good job. Before the mayor laid off DOS people a few weeks back. This came from unconfirmed reports of union members calling the news and reporting that – it's not "proof" but itbid worth investigating no? If not – why not?

December 31, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kathy

Fire those workers bc what they did hurt the innocent. Why bring politics into this? They have a good paying job and they risked it for politics? Fire them and hire the unemployed who will appreciate having a job in this economy! Kudos, Kimberly and others who think rhe same way. The rest of u are idiots!

December 31, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

This clearly was intentional. They said (carefully) there was no "official" slowdown "what would have have to gain?". Whenever someone asks a question to answer a question they are fill of it. They gain publi outcry against the mayor – exactly what they wanted – but failed to see the public hatred coming their way. Union members have realize the union heads care only about their 6 figure job funded from dues – not the common man. they are city workers and free to work elsewhere in the private sector – but there are fewer unions – and I don't get a pension – and if I don't do my job I get fired. By if I was in a union....

December 31, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ernie

I feel sorry for all you folks living in the big city. I am in a rural area of the upper mid-west that is getting buried in snow this weekend. But I & most all our population will be doing a lot of digging on our own. At least we know up front that no one else is going to be coming to get us out. In your big city you really are at the mercy of others & if they happen to be "ruthless" there is not much you can do. Lord help you because the mayor & unions "don't care".

December 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sherri W.W.

@Mr.R~I hadnt read this since morning,and just wanted to leave a response to all that you said.~These are the very things I was trying to get across in my postings~that while,of course it is wrong if anyone did an intentional slowdown,still and all ~some way,somehow,it HAS to really get across to every person in this country,what is happening~and~how much WORSE its going to get until people SEE and UNDERSTAND it!~The 1 person who said"we pay taxes!"and expect snow removal~she IS CORRECT ~BUT~every person has to THINK about that very statement,and SOON! Because that is the WHOLE DEAL!~we have all these Repub/TeaP,and certin media,telling folks that Cutting taxes and MORE cutting taxes~will FIX everything! Lord!~WHAT can we do,to get folks to realize what we've all known for years?~TAXES ARE WHAT PAY FOR EVERY SINGLE SERVICE WE GET~SIMPLE AS THAT! From Snow removal to street and sewer repair,to our schools and local libraries,our police,firefigthers and EMTs,home health care,garbage pickup,everything~yes~these people receive a wage BUT its paid for WITH TAXES~local,state and federal taxes!~and if we dont start RAISING taxes as soon as the economy gets a little better~WE WILL HAVE NO SERVICES~that is just FACT,not something made up~like these people make up that we can keep cutting taxes~NOT IF WE WANT TO LIVE AS AMERICANS LIKE WE ARE USED TO,WE CANT! When economists and other warn about us becoming like these 3rd world countries~they ARE NOT making that up! Do people really think that folks in those countries with mud roads,get street services? Or clean water? NO~It takes money~our tax money~to live well as we are used to!

December 31, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • tracy

hey sherrie.....u say taxes pay for garbage pickup.around here i get a 45 dollar a month bill for that as well as all the tax money that goes to it.

January 2, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. hiket

~ ~ ~ ~

December 31, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Big Joe

@Mr. R: The electric chair? What a shocking statement!

January 1, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ed Bailey

The cruelty that is the norm, instead of the help thy neighbor golden rule.It is the sad state of affairs in the world. 15 years ago I was a outgoing help all type,today I will not give ANYONE a casual hello.the government cannot repair what WE have done.Enjoy it.

January 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ed Bailey

Thank you sherri, I just read your statement. The only problem you left out is the fact that more than you realize your tax money goes for immoral AND illegal activity.Recent and sadly life shattering personal experiences have proven to me how WORTHLESS our public services really are. My local government is as corrupt as any you can find in the world. Go and complain to the state agencies,they were just as bad, it leaves no where to go.Tax money to criminals is supporting a legalized mafia. I learned in chicago you could trust the mafia MORE than you could the government,at least one of them would do what they said they would. And sadly the mafia had better morals!

January 1, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. COL. BAT GUANO

it was all a huge experiment we'll never understand and should never understand.

January 2, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. lemans66

Wow i did not know my taxs paid for my garbage service if so i want my money back for the last 30 years of paying to have it taken away and maybe a little extra for me breaking my backi taking it up to the road to have it picked up a 1/4 miile down the driveway

January 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Poergejudgemo

Hey ,

Greetings from Belfast

Anything in particular I should be paying attention to?

December 17, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |