The day's most popular stories
December 31st, 2010

The day's most popular stories

The five most popular stories on CNN.com in the last 24 hours, according to NewsPulse:

John Mellencamp splits with wife: John Mellencamp (pictured), known for his nostalgic songs about heartland America, is parting ways with wife Elaine, the couple said in a statement Thursday.

Blinding storm creates 100-vehicle wreck: A strong storm system made driving dangerous in the Rockies and the upper Plains and contributed to a pileup involving about 100 vehicles Thursday near Fargo, North Dakota, officials said.

The best (and worst) films of 2010:  Tom Charity, a veteran of 20 years of writing and thinking about films, offers his list of best and worst films of 2010.

Video captures serial killer's defiance: Closed-circuit television footage that led British police to identify Stephen Griffiths as a serial killer shows the self-proclaimed "Crossbow Cannibal" carrying the weapon in the hallway outside his apartment shortly after he killed one of his victims, then raising his middle finger to the camera.

Midwest storms leave 6 dead: A line of fast-moving storms and possible tornadoes stretching from the Gulf Coast states to Illinois left at least six people dead Friday and caused widespread damage to homes and businesses, as forecasters warned of more potentially severe weather.

Filed under: Most Popular
  1. Big Joe

Kathy punched Anderson on stomach. So So funny. They have us laughing. Love it!!!

December 31, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lessiefant

My dad told me about "Clearance Auto Insurance" or something which helped him to find a lower priced Auto insurance (with ALMOST similar coverage) he is recommending this to me. What do you think of them? BTW you can find more about them online.

January 1, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • .

Reported for spam.

January 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dice

Kathy is the WORST! She is totally obnoxious and not funny. It's hard to believe that CNN would choose to have her host. Almost as bad a Wolf Blitzer

January 1, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Big Joe

Dear Dice: I think Kathy is funny. She interrupted Anderson too much, but Anderson is a class act that he was still able to shine more than her. Truly enjoyed both. Sorry Dice, but I just don't share your opinion.

January 1, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • GaGa

Kathy is hilarious! I just love her. Anderson is a bit too much melodramatic for me though.

January 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mmmmm

Johnny M, really baby, your butt is gettin too old to be looking for a new pair of shoes...patch it up...the Heffner thing ain't reality.

January 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fred Bartkowski

Go Badgers!

January 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. deborah reagan

I hope ronald reagans float was a hit im just proud of him by deborah ann reagan

January 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bambam

100 cars crash. Was that in the same place and the same time if so wow

January 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. phil

Remember the Scare-crow in The Wizard of Oz? That's me, but the song I sing is "If I only had a television". It is a bit difficult to follow post's that reference what was on TV today. Is this Kathy Lee Gifford that punched AC? I remember her husband Frank from the old Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell and dandy Don Merideth, but I know little of her. She really punched him? Was it live, on the air?

January 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. phil

Hmmm...there probably shouldn't be a dash between Scare and crow. GaGa?

January 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

phil, it' Kathy Griffin who co-starred with AC last night, not Kathie Lee Gifford. Kathie Lee Gifford is indeed the wife of Frank Gifford, of football and Monday Night Football fame. By-the-by, Howard Cosell was something else, imo- sometimes annoying, sometimes entertaining, but always interesting! Loved his hairpiece, too, tee-hee!

January 1, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. phil

Oh, thanx banasy. Yeah, Howard was something else. I used to really enjoy his bantering with Cassius Clay/Mohammed Ali. I was beginning to think you changed your s/n too. Hadn't seen your posts in a while. Glad to see you are still here this year! See ya around.

January 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. COL. BAT GUANO

What about Ronald McDonald?

January 2, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Numnuts

Get real and please dont let the door hit u in the ass on the way out

January 2, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Andrew

I read the day's most popular stories 'cause I'm most popular.

January 2, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |