FAA: Two killed in midair collision in Virginia
December 31st, 2010

FAA: Two killed in midair collision in Virginia

An airborne single-engine plane collided with a medical-evacuation helicopter at Virginia's Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport on Friday, killing two people, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The incident involved a single-engine Cessna 172 and Eurocopter EC135 MedEvac helicopter, the FAA's Jim Peters said. The two who died were on the single-engine plane; the helicopter landed safely with no injuries aboard, the FAA said.

Read coverage from CNN affiliate WHSV.

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • Virginia
  1. mike schultz

also, I'm a lizardy jew. I own your family.

December 31, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BR

I know one of the people that was killed in this accident. I sure hope that none of his family reads this article and the comments that are posted. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. How would you feel if he was your family member or friend? He was a very experienced pilot who loved to fly. I am keeping my thoughts and prayers with his family during this time of tragedy and hope that you all can do the same.

December 31, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jodabe79

i hope you don't take any of my posts as an insult. i do agree that the two lives lost could have been prevented. from my view it wasn't the pilot of the planes fault. the copter should have avoided this collision. i'm feel sorry for the loss of their lives.

January 1, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • raggedy anne

To the eyewitness, your posts are not an insult. I thank you for telling the story. Please contact authorities, so that the families can know the truth.

@BR, thank you for protecting the families.

January 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. i rock

@mike schultz the jew. .whats the difference between a jew and a pizza? a pizza doesnt scream in an oven

December 31, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • dr feelgud

i betcha "i rock" has a perrty mouth, i say we get his IP address and find out!

January 1, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. greg

the chopper pilot was distracted by a troop of flying monkeys, on their way to manhattan from guatamala after shopping at walmart for a mother's day gift for their pet giraffe's sister.

December 31, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dave254

That chopper crew must be one hell of an experienced crew!

January 1, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • WhackAMole

Hope they were answering an emergency call. Otherwise, they're going to need good lawyers to keep their licenses and maybe even out of jail.

January 1, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. k barker

I was driving from martinsburg,wv to christiansburg,va today. I noticed the cloud- like trail of streaks in the sky that jets leave. there were so many of them, as i drove on for miles and miles i watched as the planes were dipping and streaking across the sky. I Did ask myself i wonder what they are doing? there were 3 planes that i could make out. it seemed like they were flying right over interstate 81. i watched as they would slowly come down and curve to the right just above the mountains, making a j shape over and over again. then i noticed they were crossing each others paths quite closely, which concerned me and frankly, the thought came to mind. what if they would crash doing that? It must have been over an hour that i could see them from va interstate 81 heading south and never seemed to get any closer to where they actually were. It's really weird to check the news from my cell phone tonite and discover that they indeed, did crash. what were they doing? And was what they were doing illegal?

January 1, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. smurf

Jew joke NOT funny. You must be a Nazi. You'll have your own oven in HELL! How loud can you scream? The pilot of the helicopter should NOT be able to fly anymore and should do some jail time. So sorry for the families!

January 1, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. pg13

IS THIS A JOKE? WAS IT A COLLISION OR NOT? I HOPE NOT BECAUSE IT WOULD MEAN PEOPLE ARE VERY READING MOST OF THE POST HERE. SAD

January 1, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • jodabe79

it was a very light contact in the air. a very real collision with the ground. thats the cut and dry of it.

January 1, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. pg13

simple

January 1, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. @Dave254

are you a total phucktard?
    How can you follow this post (by someone who actually witnessed the crash) : the copter should have avoided this collision. i’m feel sorry for the loss of their lives.
    >With this :
    That chopper crew must be one hell of an experienced crew!

January 1, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. @jodabe79

Seriously thank you for all the eyewitness details and updates. Sorry you had to watch this take place. Sincerely appreciate your input. While I realize the family may not be notified yet – ergo – can't post names. Do you happen to know where the cessna & the 2 people aboard were fromn? were they local? were they from out of/another state if so which one?
    again thanks much for your accounts & info! peace

January 1, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
    • jodabe79

they were local guys. the ironic thing is they live not to far from where my mother lives in Elkton, Va. I do feel bad for what happened. It's not what i expected to see on NWE. It just seems like the whole thing could have been avoided.

January 1, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. lessiefant

Companies offer discounts to policyholders who have not had any accidents or moving violations for a number of years. look line for "Clearance Auto Insurance" on the web

January 1, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. what ever

We, in the aviation community, when we read of such a tragedy, DO NOT JUDGE, OR Hypothesize who was to blame or what was the cause....WE SIMPLY MORN THE AVIATORS who lost their lives....... May they rest in peace....

January 1, 2011 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. @jodabe79

Thanks very much again for the answers to my questions.
    My heart and prayers go out to the families of the deceased and to YOU as well. I'm certain that was NOTan easy thing to witness first-hand. thanks so much for providing so much detailed info on the sad event.
    Wishing You the best of everything in a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year!

January 1, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. @whatever

Funny when we in the human race community read of any such tragedy WE usually MOURN the loss of lives. People both inside and outside the "aviation community" are curious thinking and emotional beings who'd like to know the how's, whys, what ifs etc. of ANY TYPE of accident of tragedy- if for no other reason than to contemplate and learn how to avoid such things.

So get down off your soapbox mighty "aviation community man" someone could use it for kindling in this time of year.

January 1, 2011 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |