Obama signs 9/11 health bill
January 2nd, 2011
09:15 PM ET

Obama signs 9/11 health bill

President Barack Obama signed the 9/11 health bill into law in Hawaii on Sunday, White House spokesman Bill Burton said.

Obama signed the bill during his Hawaiian vacation, with no signing ceremony held. In a statement issued later, the president said he was "honored" to sign the bill, which pays for health care for responders believed to have been sickened by pollution at the ruins of the World Trade Center in New York.

"We will never forget the selfless courage demonstrated by the firefighters, police officers, and first responders who risked their lives to save others," Obama said. "I believe this is a critical step for those who continue to bear the physical scars of those attacks."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • New York • September 11
soundoff (63 Responses)
  1. Fred Bartkowski

    Let me just say. At the end of the day. Make no mistake. The American people want all courageous people effusively praised.
    Furthermore additional funding will be made available for new children's hospitals and Veterans care.
    Also the flattening out of the tax code will allow us to make real gains in improving education, reducing deficits, rebuilding aging infrustructure, increasing funding for education and increasing wages for working Americans.

    January 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

    the whole country will be bankrupt soon. the firefighters have insurance, let them pay their own medical bills.

    January 2, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fred Bartkowski

    1 % of the population controls 90% of the wealth. Let me just say. At the end of the day. These particular folks will not be bankrupt.
    Nor will anyone who requires means testing for Medicaid Part B.

    January 2, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lemans66

    Sure is great to hear someone who needs it getting something but while here on the west coast washington those on medicade get screwed they are having the dental eye care and foot care droped so we will not be able to eat walk or hear anymore. now who said that

    January 2, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT

    what no one ever talks about is that in the jungle 1% of the gorillas hoard the banannas and the other 99% sit there and can only dream of bannannas. ever once in awhile one of the bananna hoarding gorillas will give some out to the hungry gorillas but most just keep them for themselves.

    January 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fred Bartkowski

    Does this have anything to do with training monkeys to fight fires. Or the American people at the end of the day?

    January 2, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lemans66

    is that a racist joke?

    January 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

      no. btw i have a yh code 428 4 bolt main sitting in my garage. with #48 heads.. i might put into my camaro..

      January 2, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Fred Bartkowski

    @lemans66,
    Let me just say that you should feel extremely fortunate to have been provided a medical service which was pioneered in the 40's but has only recently been rolled out to a select few.
    Next to the Sudanese syfilus experiments in the 1970's no medical technology has been hailed with as much fanfare as Dental Eye Care.
    Please be advised this service is only available to blue states.

    January 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fred Bartkowski

    Like u would be making dumb jokes here if that was true RN.
    68 camaro my ass.

    January 3, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. RUFFNUTT

    wth is dental eye care? teeth have eyes?

    January 3, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. RUFFNUTT

    fred you have a camaro also?

    January 3, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. tomcat

    Here we go first the race card. Next....Bush, Obama, Religion and lets not forget the trolls and spammers. Never changes....yawm

    January 3, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. tomcat

    sorry yawn

    January 3, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. Liberty Queen

    MUSK!!!

    January 3, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Fred Bartkowski

    Only wish I did.
    No racist comments that I can see. Only racist perception.
    Please remember we all evolved from adam and eve who were created in Africa.

    January 3, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5