Twins born in separate years, by parents' choice
January 3rd, 2011

Twins born in separate years, by parents' choice

If Madisen Carin Lewis ever starts teasing her twin brother by claiming to be a calendar year older than him, the boy will have his parents and his mother's doctor to blame.

The twins were intentionally delivered on different sides of the 2010/2011 divide by cesarean section in a Rockford, Illinois, hospital after a complication led a doctor to determine they needed to be born a month early, CNN affiliate WREX reported.

Madisen was born with one minute left in 2010 on Friday night, and her brother, Aiden Everette Lewis, was delivered seconds after midnight.

Their due date was January 28, but a doctor recommended an early C-section because of the complication, WREX reported. That gave the parents, Ashley Fansler and Brandon Lewis, the opportunity to choose to deliver the babies in different years.

"[The doctor] said, 'You know, if we wanted to deliver one this year and then one next year, we could do that if … everything is open," Brandon Lewis told WREX. "We decided to do it that way, and everything worked out."

Aiden was Rockford's first baby born in 2011, the Rockford Register Star reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Illinois
  1. Bleh

I think Sherri only reads headlines...

January 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I guarantee you that this is for tax purposes. They'll be able to claim the 'younger' one for an extra year.

January 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • yponce

I doubt *taxes* was the reason for their decision. After all your logic doesnt' make sense...you do understand that the *younger* child born in 2011 can't be claimed in 2010 taxes. So untimately *if* they get to claim that child 1 year more it all balances out at the end.

January 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

bless those little babies... and i hope the mom makes a speedy recovery

January 3, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Wow...

I wonder how long before the novelty of this will wear off?

Good wishes to the family.

January 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anon

What is "believeng" and "loveing"? I am unfamiliar with that dialect.

January 3, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Internet

You do realize that the only reason your're doing this is because talking to yourself is the only way anyone will listen to you, right?

January 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. *sigh*

"Listening"

January 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bambam

Yall just to funny

January 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. *sigh*

Pardon me while I correct myself: "You're" and "Your". Trolls are usually better than that.

January 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. @*sigh*

No, you're not.

January 3, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. @bambam

And?

January 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. James

This is plain stupid. There have to be forums that you guys can say this *sh_t* on and not interfere with the topic posted and waste all of our time scanning for comments related to the topic at hand.

That being said, CNN NEEDS to pre-screen these posts, so they do not appear. Hello CNN?

That being said, I think to allow parents to pick such a strange birth order or delivery order is odd. What normal doctor or parents, other than one who wants the national attention, that they are obviously getting, would agree to do a C-section that late at night? None. I was tickled by this story at first; I thought it was a naturally occurring birth, not planned out to the minute and year. Good God. And why are we giving them all this attention, anyway?

January 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • kafrink

I agree James, cnn needs to prescreen the poster, although without cencoring content however, this is a fine line.

With that said, and ignoring the ignorant and bored peanut gallery, I am confused why a parent would choose 2011 versus the newborn in 2010- didn't they just throw away a good deduction?

January 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggie

My brother bet that my twins would be born two weeks apart in the birthday bool that my family ran. I'm really glad he didn't win:) Only reason I can see for doing what these guys did is for yucks, fun family stories and publicity. I might have done it if given the choice, but only without hte publicity.

January 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

Finally ! James you are the first intelligent person I have heard on here. I agree with you 100 %.

January 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

It also excludes you Vicki

January 4, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna

James....you are absolutly correct on all points!

January 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessie

Funny you should mention that you're positive a doctor wouldn't preform a c-section that late at night. You're wrong, I had one at about midnight myself when my daughter was born in 2008.

January 20, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Michael

If they had both been born Dec 31, 2010, they could have had the additional tax break. Trying to be clever cost them a deduction.

January 3, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

And a tax credit.

January 4, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
    • sjack_ca

That was my first thought......

January 4, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • vonspoo

orrrr... they spread out the tax credits. it's not like the credit vanishes at the stroke of midnight. they just have to wait a bit for the last one. i think a LIFE TIME of separate birthdays for the boys is worth waiting a little bit for a tax credit.

January 14, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. James

disregard my previous post. somebody is using my username.

January 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @James

To answer your question: No.

January 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chuck

@James:
    Agreed. There has been a rash of trolls posting under usernames that the other forum members post under. Hijacked, as it were. Stupid, but there you go.

You and Michael are right. Years from now their kids are going to be asking what state of dementia they were in when they decided to do this!

January 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |