Son of Iran's former shah committed suicide, family says
Former shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi and his wife, Farah, are shown after leaving Iran in 1979. His son Alireza Pahlavi committed suicide, his family said Tuesday.
January 4th, 2011

Son of Iran's former shah committed suicide, family says

Alireza Pahlavi committed suicide at his home in Boston, Massachusetts, a spokesman for the family of the former shah of Iran said Tuesday.

Pahlavi, 44, was a son of the former shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, who was overthrown in 1979 and died the following year in exile in Cairo, Egypt.

"It is with immense grief that we would like to inform our compatriots of the passing away of Prince Alireza Pahlavi," the family website said.

- CNN's Azadeh Ansari contributed to this story.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Iran • Massachusetts
  1. Shaka Zulu

Angel: you are are a perfect example of the woefully ignorant state of the American public concerning anything to do with the Middle East. The Pahlavi family was a secular monarchy, allied with the US, and were thrown out of Iran by the Islamic revolution in 1979. The future looks bleak as long as the US is filled with with buffoons like you who speak, and perhaps vote, with such little knowledge of their subject matter.

January 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Realist

He was promised a kingdom and all he got was a penthouse suit in Manhatten. That'll push anyone over the edge.

January 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ekrit

angel is a moron. I went to an American school with Aliriza. Nice guy. If angel knew anything about ...anything then he would know that Iran was a secular state prior to Khomeni and the Shah and his family were exhiled. They are not fundamendalists at all.

January 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kenhp1

I would kill myself too if my home country was Iran. They are a sick society with a value system that puts human life on the bottom of the list, especially women. The human rights violation that are condoned there are absolutely the work of satin. These people murder others in the name of justice. People disappear for speaking against this warped, so-called government. I think the greatest travesty would to be born a woman there.
    I think his death is nothing to report. The real story should be the atrocities in Iran that go unheard by the world.

January 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • lynn

I suppose you're right. My home country is America. There are times when I feel like offing myself because of it.

January 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • eisener

Think twice – or know more – before you write maybe.

The government of the United States kill American people – we have death penalty in this country. That is against human rights. So is water boarding or any other kind of torture. And come to think of it, even very recently I can come up with a few names on Christian right-wing extreme home-grown terrorists and murderers killing innocent people right here in the United States. Say, in the name of being against abortion! A right in this country.

So anyway, while I actually think your comment is completely out there to begin with and very inappropriate for the topic of this article, I felt compelled to see if I can spur some reflection with you, on your own country that is.

January 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JamesNM

Very sad.

January 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. alysa

and we should care why? They should all kill themselves.

January 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

obviously you are a total idiot alysa, maybe you should commit suicide-this world would be a better place! Have a nice day!

January 5, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. angel

muslim doesn't deserve to be capitalized, neither does hitler. I'ts a false religion that will lead you straight to hell. Violent religions like that should be purged from the planet with good ol fashioned American nukes.

January 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Are you about done showing your a$$? You're an embarrassment to Americans everywhere. You decry violence while your mouth practices it. Hypocrite.

January 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kman

Angel is talking truth. If you cannot read between the lines then you are probably a muslim. Again, all muslims are not terrorist but all terrorist are muslims. Wake up world. Muslims need to hit the streets and protest the evil from their "religion"

January 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anti-NutJob

I see we've already forgotten Timothy McVeigh. And the Tamil Tigers. And the North Koreans. And Aum Shinrikyo. None of whom/which are Muslim. I'm an atheist but realize that nutjobs are nutjobs whatever their religion or lack thereof.

January 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmon now...

many people fail to realize that "terrorist" is a relative term...and it can and has been applied to the likes of our own founding fathers...the IRA were called terrorist... christians now use the word to decribe muslims...cmon now

January 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

People of the World,
    I am sure the Mullahs are celebrating in Tehran right now.
    I wonder why this was not announced by the Boston PD.
    This may not really be a suicide.Assasination may be a possibility here.

January 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. angel

I have learned you are all going to hell for being sympathetic to muslims! hahahaha!

January 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

You speak of Hell – so you are a Christian? A judgmental (one sin), hypocritical (second sin) wishing an entire people dead (third sin) Christian? You need to read up on Hell.

January 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • EE

Let me get this right. You are passing judgement on a whole lot of people you don't know.And we are going to hell? Yep, you do sound Christian. Christ taught to love and accept, not hate and ignore. You are a hypocrite.

January 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sad

What a waste! Nothing is ever so grim that suicide is the answer (and I'm a pessimist).

January 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kman

Question to islam: why does every country with muslims residents have problems with violence. Also they milk the system and live in peace and they still carry their hatred for all kind.

January 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pee Wee Hermun

Glad he is not suffering anymore...

January 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stickemup

Aint it funny how america starts negative trends about certain people and everyone runs with it i means lies. america is really the terrorists

January 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. angel

If I'm so wrong, can you tell me what people are commiting acts of terrorism around the world and what religion they practice? oh wait, I already know. muslims.

January 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • EE

Terrorism is just a word for violent crimes against people. People of all races commit violent crime. You are beginning to sound like Hitler now.

January 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anti-NutJob

Oh? And I suppose a Muslim bombed the Federal Building in Oklahoma? Don't generalize. Nutjobs are nutjobs whatever their faith or lack of faith.

January 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |