Son of Iran's former shah committed suicide, family says
Former shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi and his wife, Farah, are shown after leaving Iran in 1979. His son Alireza Pahlavi committed suicide, his family said Tuesday.
January 4th, 2011

Son of Iran's former shah committed suicide, family says

Alireza Pahlavi committed suicide at his home in Boston, Massachusetts, a spokesman for the family of the former shah of Iran said Tuesday.

Pahlavi, 44, was a son of the former shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, who was overthrown in 1979 and died the following year in exile in Cairo, Egypt.

"It is with immense grief that we would like to inform our compatriots of the passing away of Prince Alireza Pahlavi," the family website said.

- CNN's Azadeh Ansari contributed to this story.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Iran • Massachusetts
  1. Ed Bailey

Does anyone remember we,the united states government installed the shah of iran in power. His people threw him out because THEY were not happy with the way he was running THEIR country.why we did that is a sad and repeated mistake on OUR governments actions.Why do we have a crappy image in the rest of the world!DAH. It is still sad when someone takes a precious gift away!so sad and I don't have a clue what kind of a person he was,no matter its sad!

January 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. phil

I remember Ed. And I see the same thing still happening even today. It's so tragic.

January 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fiona

@Ed Bailey: Uh, the United States didn't "install" the Shah of Iran to power. his rule was a Monarchy. He was, in essence, King. Of course nobody remembers his "installation" because it never happened. Dee dee dee!

January 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mark

We make a habit of overthrowing dictators, then installing dictators who will play ball because they don't want a cruise missile in their bathtub. Its been our Standard operating procedure for decades.

January 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mark

Fiona, although I repect your opinion, I sincerely hope you research a little more into how we practice foreign relations.

January 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fiona

Sorry, so we DID put the Shaw in power?

January 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mark

@phil I hear ya! I ended up teaching my 9th grade civics class because they put a P.E. teacher in the spot because we didn't have enough civics teachers. I'm all for physical fitness, but not when it sacrafices real education. we already had about 3 physed teachers, and only 1 civics teacher. Absurd. An educational system that claims to foster free and independant thought sure seems to beat it mercilessly in the proverbial boiler room.

January 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

A little American support, or even indifference, goes a long way for a violent dictator.

January 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. phil

@Fiona...in the early 1950s, the Iranian government decided to nationalize thei oil industry. This did not fit with the plans of the American and Brittish governments, so the CIA and Brit SIS began subterfuge operations that resulted in the Shah becoming king who for many years was an ally of major US and UK oil companies making him an enemy of his own people. This news is available at the NY times archives, as well as many online other news outlet archives. It wasn't "officially" carried out by the US GOVERNMENT, So aloong those lines you are correct.

January 4, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. robin Wills

i dated the shaws nephew here in austin. he is the man i should have married as i look back in time. this sadness only verifies my feelings even though i dont think i could marry again. my sincere grief for him. u know at that time i never thought i too would be in the political mess i am in this country; though i knew what it was to be energy efficient oil trash as far the gov could do without treating me like the trash they needed to clone my kind chavez style. i just want to send the family my best wishes.... like there are anymore. anyway just let him know i still love him and the rest of the fam!

January 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. phil

@Mark...I still recall my civics instructor, Mr.Comer. He was a great teacher. How rewarding teaching young students must be. I envy you. And they still teach P.E.? I figured it was outlawed! 😉

January 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. robin Wills

yea and i am part of the old bob wills and the texas playboy clan who willie likes to dis but steal our stuff for his own along with the rest the games going DOWN... that my deceased father bob and mom would agree with what i just said...

he was a very kind man i dated and i'm happy that bear didnt eat him while he was out hunting in canada hiding behind that log listening to the crunch crunch crunch come up only to look over the log face front into a BEAR FACE

January 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phil

@Robin...wow. What a story. My youngests sister began dating a Saudi prince here. She was whisked away and became part of his harem. I haven't heard from her in the past 30 some odd years. She kept in touch for quite a while though. You are probably better off where you are now than where you would have been. Thanks for sharing your story.

January 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • robin Wills

we are talking about the shaw of irans nephew here
      and U NEVER MET MY X MOTHER IN LAW;;; which only makes jane fonda the monster in law seem sweet as pumpkin pie the ministers granddaughter .... her son soon to never need a hotel! really grow up and get things right!
      i havent been seen much either since i married her
      and i loved her son and known him since 6th grade... doesnt mean we are perfect or i'm an enemy of what this country used to be...
      i dont need ure lecture.... u have no idea of which u speak
      u dont need to be here giving this family hell on their death bed, no wonder u havent heard from her; perhaps u need to take ure complaints to another country
      and another family

January 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • robin Wills

my cousin at six feet tall married into the modeling industry and died trying to get down to 90 lbs for the new heroin sheek look and that was twenty years ago... but the gov still hasnt had enough and how many models have died this year getting thin enough for the gov and hollywood.. too many! so... so what right before darn if they didnt get their epa no dust while using ure tractor in ure fields laws food shortage not to mention CORN ISNT A SPECULATION! like ha ha ha other things
      ha ha hahahahahhahahhahahahahs

January 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • robin Wills

he knew i was an engineering girl; fem but not ure typical pretty girl.... all guys in my college classes.... he didnt look down on me; as u'd like to believe

January 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • robin Wills

oh and what they all the big guys if the gov has to take them over to steal my intellectual property need my next big invention; have I GOT AN INVENTION FOR u

i told u sweetie... u dont need to be in my nightmare one in which al gore and hollywood including michael moore etc needs to steal all my mind just to sell it back to me 24/7 before i live
      i see why this world is filled with psychopaths and only wait till everyone wakes to my reality

see u never needed to be here
      ure family is too cool and nice

now i'm and old fashion hard ass texan who gets grumpier every day some willie nelson etc wants my families i.p. for their next invention like they INVENTED IT

January 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • robin Wills

and on that note kathy griffin needs to be half her weight to entertain ME

January 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. robin Wills

and then i turn around and say sweetie i could never bring ure sweet heart into my nightmare these days
    never thinking i'd be here as i am now

January 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lion-O

people wake up, this guy didn't commit suicide, he was offed by CIA and not for reasons you might suspect. Do your homework, look at what assets this guy owned and what he did. I know none of you will, but you heard it here first.

January 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |