Starbucks unveils new logo
Starbucks' logo has undergone several modifications over the years.
January 5th, 2011

Starbucks unveils new logo

Starbucks' signature siren is getting an updated look to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the global coffee chain.

The stripped-down logo features the siren alone, without the "Starbucks Coffee" encircling her image, an homage to the ubiquitous chain's modest beginnings in the Seattle's Pike Place Market in Washington state,  Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz said.

"Throughout the last four decades, the siren has been there through it all. And now, we’ve given her a small but meaningful update to ensure that the Starbucks brand continues to embrace our heritage in ways that are true to our core values and that also ensure we remain relevant and poised for future growth," Schultz said in a post on Starbucks' website.

The new logo will start rolling out in the Spring, Schultz said.

Who is the siren, anyway? In the search for an image that captured "the seafaring history of coffee and Seattle’s strong seaport roots," Starbucks' founders came across a 16th century Norse woodcut of a twin-tailed mermaid.

"There was something about her - a seductive mystery mixed with a nautical theme that was exactly what the founders were looking for. A logo was designed around her, and our long relationship with the Siren began," Starbucks says on its website.

More on reaction to Starbucks' new logo
Post by:
Filed under: Business
  1. Ben

Thumbs up. Simple, uncluttered, pays proper homage to the company's history.

January 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mtnmatt

Some people are actually ashamed to drink starbucks so it's a plus for them to carry a cup w/o the name on it. Has anyone see the bumber sticker... "Friends Don't Let Friends Drink Starbucks"???

January 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Yuwaraj

It might be corp strategy to change the name in the future or get into new business.

January 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • TrixieRose

That's the problem,corp think tanks that don't get the customers opinion.

January 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Josephine

Bring back the old Logo!!!

January 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TrixieRose

I don't like it,why do people keep changing things that work?

January 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. diana

Might take the fun out of a cup of starbucks coffee......looks kind of generic, like could have got that cup of coffee anywhere! I think a little dissapointing.

January 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • TrixieRose

Me too,heck we can make our own coffee at home that tastes like thier coffee,it's the whole look of something we get.The new logo just looks too plain.

January 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BR

Never mind that they're saving money by printing in one color, eh? I was hoping they were bringing back the siren's floaters. 🙂

January 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • gadzilla

Your comment intrigued me enough to make me scroll up to check out the past designs closely. You are right, logo incarnation #1 = HOOTS!!!!! Nice. Whether the latest logo has the brand name or whatever, I really don't give a rats behind what the cup has on it, as long as there is hot, fresh, delicious coffee in it.

January 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Amazed

Another branding change mistake, maybe. Other companies did the same and it worked. Look at McDonald's who will use just the arches at times. My eyes would look for the arches not the name but in the case of Starbucks I drank their coffee for several years before I paid any attention to the detail of the inner part of the logo. I always saw the name.

January 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. American X

Once a Logo has been branded and is easily Distinguishable from other similar brands – many companies use Nameless logos interchangeably. Mercedes Star – Playboy Bunny – Chevron – Nike etc..

January 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. April

What's a stupid move

January 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Calvin

What the???? I think someone's been slipping the CEO a little something in his coffee. Don't like it...

January 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Runner82

I agree that it's a bad move. Marketing research has shown that many drink their coffee because of it's trendy appeal and people like being seen as trendy. I still love Starbucks though! But I am guessing they will switch back to their old symbol after a while. It kind of makes me think of buying a top brand's clothing with their tag removed... it's just not the same!

January 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DD

Why do you have to go and mess with an iconic logo...I don't think removing the name will make me want to go and pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee. They should have consulted with the guys who thought changing the Gap logo was a good idea. How did that work out...Not To Good.

January 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Collin

It looks better to me, people don't need the name on the logo to know that its Starbucks.

January 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gregg

From a marketing point of view, it's a bad move to exclude the Starbuck brand name. This is not going to make me go into their shop and buy another coffee – it's a waste of marketing money if you ask me.

January 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |