Gibbs to 'TP' White House if Auburn Tigers win championship
Press Secretary Robert Gibbs says if Auburn wins the BCS Championship on Monday, he will return to "roll' the White House.
January 6th, 2011

Gibbs to 'TP' White House if Auburn Tigers win championship

As his beloved Tigers get ready for the BCS National Championship game Monday, Robert Gibbs wants to bring an Auburn University tradition to the White House.

Gibbs, the soon-to-be ex-White House press secretary, told CBS college football guru Tony Barnhart that if Auburn wins, he will return to “roll” or “TP” the White House, or at least part of it. The “The Tony Barnhart Show” is scheduled to air Thursday night.

According to Politico, Gibbs said, “If Auburn wins, I will come back. I will get a little agreement with the Secret Service. We’ll put a couple of rolls (of toilet paper) up there, and then I can help take it down so it doesn’t look like we trashed the place.”

Some of you might be thinking, What the …??

Being an Auburn grad, I know a little about this tradition. After Auburn wins a football game or other significant sporting event, fans flock to the intersection of College Street and Magnolia Avenue.

It’s known as Toomer’s Corner, after the drugstore that produces the lemonade that Esquire magazine once suggested was made by God himself.

Fans mob the intersection after a victory, often forcing police to simply shut down two major arteries through downtown.

There, we hurl roll after roll of toilet paper into the live oaks across from the drugstore. After a big win, everything on the corner is covered in the white stuff, even the power lines and eagle-adorned brick entryways to the university.

It can get rather messy, as you can see here.

Gibbs attended North Carolina State University, where he played goalkeeper for the Wolfpack soccer team, but he was born and raised in the city of Auburn.

Gibbs told Barnhart that he thinks President Obama understands how important Monday’s game between Auburn and the Oregon Ducks is to him, Politico reported. Gibbs further said he’s worn the same Auburn shirt for every Tiger victory this year, even when everyone else was wearing a suit.

“He gets how big a deal this is for me. He enjoys and loves college football,” Gibbs told Barnhart. “I’ve watched some of their games in my office. I’ve got a pretty decent-size TV in there, thankfully. Sometimes it’s hard. One week we were on the road, and I had to talk to the advance people about making sure that we had some TVs and could watch some games if we needed to.”

War Eagle, Mr. Gibbs. See you in Glendale.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • College football • Politics • Sports
  1. Chuck

TP Toomerss, but please don't bring any more disrespect to the most sacred building we have.

January 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arglebargle

The Federal Reserve? 😉

January 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walker

Like we can get any lower then when Bush-Cheney were in there...

January 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Arglebargle

Jeez...lighten up! Take some Ex-Lax! Eat some prunes!

It's a hell of a lot better than trashing the town or firebombing buildings.

January 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. nanathegreat

Go Ducks

January 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I agree with the minority here - let him TP Toomer's corner or his own house! I could care less about Auburn OR Oregon, but I do very much care about the White House.

January 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. FlyingTiger

Oregon fans must be smoking "quack" if they think they are gonna beat Auburn. Nick Fairley LOVES duck! And the only green and yellow I have seen has been in the tissue after I blew my nose while suffering from a sinus infection! War Eagle!!!

January 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. melissa

Get over it, guys. It. Is. A. Game. ROLL TIDE!!

January 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Delta1270

For everyone commenting on how bad it is for the environment...Within 24 hours all the toilet paper is gone, the University pays people to clean it up.

January 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aubie Cheats

Just think how much better your secondary could be if the University could spend that money on giving the players' raises or getting better players instead of cleaning of up TP. No wonder your recruiting class is so bad this year. That's where all the money has gone....

January 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. milehigh

I guess all these high an mighty P.C posters dont remember history very well, back when they had shoot-outs and drunken brawls on the front lawn of the White House now let's see when was that exactly,? Jackson,Taylor, Clinton,Bush..????

January 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gyc

PEOPLE GET OVER YOURSELVES.. THE WHITE HOUSE IS THE PEOPLE'S HOUSE AND LAST TIME A LOOKED GIBBS WAS A CITIZEN.... SO TP OUR HOUSE MR GIBBS. I WOULD COME HELP YOU BUT I AM A USA FAN (SMILE) DON'T FORGET TO CLEAN IT UP.....

January 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

@Aubie: Ditto. I agree with you 100%, pinhead (endearment.)

January 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nicole

WAR EAGLE!!

January 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Wendy

War Eagle Robert Gibbs!! Go Auburn Tigers!!!

January 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. katie

The people who are badmouthing this amazing tradition obviously have not experienced SEC football. I feel sorry for all of you. War Eagle!!

January 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Drool

He's gonna need a lot of TP to clean up all that BS. This country is in serious trouble (according to the media) yet sports seems to be a top priority for these guys in charge. Oh my god!!! This is the worst recession!! Blah blah War!!! Blah blah.. Corrupt government!! Blah blah... Hmm let's focus on college sports.

January 7, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip (phil)

Of course I realize the oval office desk has white stains on it, and so many lies have been hatched there it curled the wallpaper. But the Donkey that did the staining and the Elephant that hatched the lies didn't go ourside and throw TP all over it as if to say to the world "that's right, we got it going on." Get a clue already.

January 7, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |