University of Georgia mascot has lymphoma, school says
Uga VIII missed the Liberty Bowl game because of an illness that turned out to be lymphoma.
January 7th, 2011

University of Georgia mascot has lymphoma, school says

Uga VIII, the University of Georgia's athletic mascot, has been diagnosed with lymphoma, the school said Friday.

The English bulldog missed the Liberty Bowl on December 30 because of a gastrointestinal condition, the school said. Russ, the half-brother of Uga VII, filled in for him.

Further tests revealed the more serious medical condition.

Uga VIII, whose registered name is Big Bad Bruce, is expected to appear at athletic events as his health allows. He is responding well to treatment at the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine. His primary veterinarian is his namesake, Dr. Bruce Hollett.

Uga VIII was introduced to Georgia fans at the October 16 Homecoming football game against Vanderbilt. He is the great-great-great-great-great grandson of the original Uga. The Seilers, of Savannah, have provided mascots for UGA sporting events since 1956.

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Sports
  1. drap

anyone?

January 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jpb985

Really sorry to hear this. I hope the treatments cure him.

January 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mr/mrs.aliperti

to whom it may interest 🙂 >> WE are the proud/loving owners of a 7yr.old beautiful english-bulldog. her name is Bella...
    she was born&breed in Indiana. we live on long island,ny. we became her owners luckily&by sheer accident, when she was only 11mos. old. *****NOTE: on her official papers we rec'd with her...it said she is from a "championship breed" of bulldogs!!! and her father was....."Bruno, big boy". by chance do you think our bella is related to this dog above..UGA ?? or thee 1/2 brother Russ? she looks very, very similar. all white with black freckles sprinkled on her both ears 🙂 just curious. would love to know somehow??? thank you kindly, have a nice day :):)

January 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • itsjustme

I hate to bust your bubble but that sounds like a backyard breeder to me or a puppy mill.

Please don't buy a dog from a pet shop or a backyard breeder. There are tons of dogs without homes that are in your local shelter - and if you have your heart set on a particular breed, please try a rescue for that breed.

Petfinder dot com can direct you to many rescues.

My doggus is 9. I have had him nearly 7 years. I got him from a shelter. He's a mix and the sweetest doggus you would ever meet.

January 7, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

There is no one back yard breeding English Bulldogs Einstein. Most of the females are sterile and when one does conceive, the pups must be delivered by Cesarean as their big heads will not pass.

January 7, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AMERICA 1st

So the mangy cur is a mascot! so what

January 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • jpb985

I cannot imagine that your parents are pleased to have unleashed you on the public at large. I do know that I would disavow you.

January 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

It's neither has mange nor is it a cur. You're wrong on both accounts, nit wit.

January 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • SYMPATHY 1st

The bulldog family line is important to the University of Georgia. The school respects tradition and heritage, something you obviously have no clue about. I don't care about what you're negative thoughts are. Keep them to yourself, and let those who have SYMPATHY share it.

January 8, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Joan

your mangy cur mom never had the chance to be a mascot did she?

January 8, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. AMERICA 1st

If u want a good dog, visit your local dog shelter. great dogs and doesnt cost thousands of dollars, and will outlive purebreds. a purebred is merely a status symbol!

January 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • itsjustme

And most of the petshop dogs are inbred; puppy mills are notorious for that. They breed dogs for the sole intent of moneymaking; the dam often as not gets no attention at all. Nor do the pups.

Please try your local shelter for a dog. Great dogs that need homes. TIA.

January 7, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I will continue to buy my dogs from breeders who show and attempt to better the breed. YOU buy YOUR dog wherever you want, don't tell me how to buy mine. I also do not spay/neuter.

January 7, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kennel karl

my dogs butt looks like a balloon knot.

January 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. WVFAN

Aww Get Well UGA

January 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AssociateVP

Seriously? Bulldogs last half as long as other dogs. THIS little cutie is gonna die and be replaced immediately by his son/grandson, etc.

January 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

This is a dog of a story.

January 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tomcat

Too bad for the dog. What about the people suffering from lymphoma? Try dealing with chemotherapy and the side affects. Also , the side affects caused by the lymphoma...not very pretty. Wanna know more? Ask...I deal with it daily.

January 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rudedog

Hang in there tomcat, I pray for a speedy recovery and less trauma with the chemo.

January 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joan

So the fact that you have lymphoma means we should have no compassion for a sick animal. If you had some compassion, maybe your treatment would go better. Hope both you and the dog feel better, in this case the dog also makes others feel better as well. Try making others feel better despite your pain and I bet you'll feel better too!

January 8, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • STEVE PHX AZ

judging from your posts the animals deal with the disease with courage and spirit, while you whine and seek attention

January 8, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Czarina

Tomcat,
      Hope your chemo is going well. It's not a journey a person opts to take.

January 8, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rudedog

You can get so attached to dogs. I had a black lab for 10 years, I sometimes weep over her death and its been five years. I am so glad to have been part of her life, I miss her so.

January 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

I'm sorry, tomcat. May your loved one be well soon.

January 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. itsjustme

Poor doggus.

Feel better soon!

January 7, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tomcat

Thank you for the support. I did not post this out of self pity or need. I will get through this. And yes I do understand the feelings people have for their pets. They can be a comfort when you have a bad day. I know that my own pets know when I am not at my best and tend to stay closer. I am lucky to have good insurance and the ability to go to a top notch facility where I live. The worst thing that haunts me as a grandfather is seeing the young children in the waiting room. That being said..thank God if your children are healthy and cherish them.

January 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • june

i understand how you feel – my husband had acute leukemia 12 yrs ago and survived after massive chemo treatments. my 9 yr old cat now has lymphoma and we are going thru chemo with him. it won't cure him but it will extend his life and as long as the quality of his life is there, we will continue to do it. he's quite happy most of the time but for a week after every round of chemo, he doesn't like to eat and we treat those symptoms to help him and hand feed him if necessary. i know he's just a cat to most people but he's one of the bravest animals i have ever seen – never complains or gets grumpy and loves unconditionally. he has to go thru 19 rounds of chemo, come off for several months and watch for a relapse. the process will start over again when he relapses. it's very expensive but our love for him is unconditional and to the death also. so you see, even though to some he's just a cat, to us he is our world and we would do no less for him than we did for my husband or would for any of our children. best wishes to you and we wish you better health in the new year.

January 8, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. look at what he said

Well I do have a black lab. I'm sorry to here this get well soon. Also I am only 12 years old and I love dogs a lot and I'd help a stray if I could. Wish I could.

January 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |