University of Georgia mascot has lymphoma, school says
Uga VIII missed the Liberty Bowl game because of an illness that turned out to be lymphoma.
January 7th, 2011

University of Georgia mascot has lymphoma, school says

Uga VIII, the University of Georgia's athletic mascot, has been diagnosed with lymphoma, the school said Friday.

The English bulldog missed the Liberty Bowl on December 30 because of a gastrointestinal condition, the school said. Russ, the half-brother of Uga VII, filled in for him.

Further tests revealed the more serious medical condition.

Uga VIII, whose registered name is Big Bad Bruce, is expected to appear at athletic events as his health allows. He is responding well to treatment at the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine. His primary veterinarian is his namesake, Dr. Bruce Hollett.

Uga VIII was introduced to Georgia fans at the October 16 Homecoming football game against Vanderbilt. He is the great-great-great-great-great grandson of the original Uga. The Seilers, of Savannah, have provided mascots for UGA sporting events since 1956.

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Sports
  1. look at what he said

My real name is jerry wade reyer the 3rd my nickname is jw for Jerry Wade.

January 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. styymy

Already??? They just got him only a season or two ago. Time to go with a human in a mascot suit like most of the other schools.

January 8, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. BigPapaDawg

To all the HATERS that can stick it and shove it.........This Dawg didn't cost the owners a thing, being that it's UGA VIII, that's the 8th in line of mascot for you morons on here.......The same family, the Sieler family has owned the mascot since the 1950's so they don't pay for the Dawg. This line of mascots has been in movies, on Sports Illustrated,l the best mascot in college sports. So eat it haters and get a LIFE!!!!!!!!

January 8, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. AMERICA 1st

Who cares what "line" it came from. its still just a dog

January 8, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. DanteX

And I though this was going to be ANOTHER Sarah Palin story. Darn!

Oh Well – They can euthanize BOTH Sarah Palin and Uga VIII and that way they can collectively put the the Dog and the Nation and that IDIOT and LOSER from Wasilla, Alaska out of their collective misery.

But it is a shame – The Dog seemingly had so much more ptential and promise than did Sarah Palin.

January 8, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. tomcat

@June I too would do anything for my pets as they are part of my family. My kids are grown and starting their own families. @ America just a dog to you, but not the owners. Being a pet owner brings along the responsibility of its care. If you don't like it take it elsewhere. @BigPapa...even though the Longhorns were terrible Bevo still ranks pretty high on the mascot list...lol

January 8, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. GaTech

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!

January 8, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Hookapooka

Get help!

January 8, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sarah McClure

Maybe if people stopped breeding sad dogs like this they wouldnt have so many health problems, UGA and all his kind are notorious for health problems, as for those of you who dont spay/neuter I hope you have your dogs locked up AT ALL TIMES or are willing to take care of any and all accidental litters they may have in addition to adopting that number of dogs from a shelter in order to even out the balance 🙂

January 8, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. George P. Burdell

I rebuff the tone of the remark attributed to GaTech... although it is frequently sung in the blechers... I find it abhorent to actually issue ill will toward UGA... Given the number of Ga Tech alumni that have UGA spouses, brothers and sisters, this news is equally saddening to Tech alumni as well.

January 8, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. mason

To all that send ill will towards UGA(the dawg) you should be ashamed of yourselves

January 8, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. russ

Yea, well so did I 3+ years ago, and no one then put a article about me on CNN!

January 8, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. TheEndIsNear

I'm now convinced that the media is a bunch of special education rejects. They are either forked tongue instigators, or they do a complete hack job on a story. I'm guessing there really isn't that much stuff wrong in the world, because anyone with a soul would be crying for revolution. The media either has no soul or they make up half the stuff they report.

January 8, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Hookapooka

I pray that you are on the no-fly list.My eyes close when it occurs to me me that you might live next door to me !

January 8, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. daimaw

To ITSJUSTIME : Absolutely correct ! If no one adopt those cats or dogs at the SPCA shelters or animal bound, they will be put down within a short period of time. People got the wrong idea that SPCA rescue animals and keep them; the truth is that their policy is to put down animals NOT keeping them owing to finance reason etc.
    So, have a heart, adopt animals from shelters or pounds, DON't buy from pet shop. Any ordinary animal can turn out to be a very lovable pet; if you treat them with your heart !

My heart goes to all stray cats or dogs !

January 8, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. PhilC371

Major bummer. I saw the first story (actually, side note) about this... before the lymphona was discovered. One of my neighbors is all about UGA, and although we mess with each other most of the time (I went to tOSU), it's reality like this where we pause for respect. Hopefully, Uga VIII comes out of this healthier than he was before.

January 8, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Three Dog Mama

This is sad. I have three wonderful dogs and I would be heartbroken if any of them developed a disease like this. I wouldn't be able to afford treatment. I wish Uga the best of luck in his recovery.

January 8, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |