University of Georgia mascot has lymphoma, school says
Uga VIII missed the Liberty Bowl game because of an illness that turned out to be lymphoma.
January 7th, 2011

University of Georgia mascot has lymphoma, school says

Uga VIII, the University of Georgia's athletic mascot, has been diagnosed with lymphoma, the school said Friday.

The English bulldog missed the Liberty Bowl on December 30 because of a gastrointestinal condition, the school said. Russ, the half-brother of Uga VII, filled in for him.

Further tests revealed the more serious medical condition.

Uga VIII, whose registered name is Big Bad Bruce, is expected to appear at athletic events as his health allows. He is responding well to treatment at the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine. His primary veterinarian is his namesake, Dr. Bruce Hollett.

Uga VIII was introduced to Georgia fans at the October 16 Homecoming football game against Vanderbilt. He is the great-great-great-great-great grandson of the original Uga. The Seilers, of Savannah, have provided mascots for UGA sporting events since 1956.

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Sports
  1. STEVE PHX AZ

Lymphoma is bad. Even worse is the lack of compassion and humanity shown by many blogging here. If you didn't want to read a soft story about a sick dog, there were others to read. Then by posting vile you raised the story on CNN's list so more will read it. I hope the dog doesn't suffer. i also hope some of the bloggers grow a soul as well. Shhesh

January 8, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kansas City girl

Igad to put my cat down and it was so hard. He was such a sweetie. @ Tomcat,I am sorry to hear I love reading your comments! And you are right children are precious.

January 8, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • tomcat

Thank you. I was a Fire Fighter/ EMT and saw how families can be torn apart by the loss of a child. Most parents don't realize what they have to offer and receive from their children. We must instill our own values and beliefs them. I know that this can be at times difficult at best. But if we promote compassion, trust and respect for those that are different from them, wouldn't the world be a better place. As stated before...tell and show your kids that you love them today, don't wait till you are at their funeral to try to get your point across. Sigh....it seems so simple yet so hard for many

January 8, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hookapooka

Big Bad Bruce! Best of luck big boy!Chief (my chi-weenie) and I wish you the best!

January 8, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Geela

Oooooh! Please get well, UGA. I'm sure your Vet-med students will take good care of you. I've heard that Vet schools have a Vet student (s) assigned to every animal 24/7 that gets brought in to them for treatment. Bless them and Uga.

January 8, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. TheEndIsNear

I am the rescuer of feeble minds not a troll. A troll posts, racist or insulting comments to illicit a reaction in order to cause chaos. I just have the media's number. Sorry if you're too blind to see that. 🙂

January 8, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • myklds

Who's saying you're a troll? I'll shoot him for you. It's your conscience? Ah, ok...Oh wait, do have that?

January 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

@tomcat, we're pulling for you Fireman!. You hang in there, and thank's for reminding us how valuable our children are.////// As for those wondering if College mascot's come from puppy-mills, I highly doubt it. A college here in Colorado, The Alamosa Bulldog's purchased one of their English Bulldog mascot's from a local breeder here several year's ago, my very own parent's. His name was 'Bo' and he was top-notch./// My mother is also a two-time cancer survivor, though she opted for treatment considered by most to be even more radical than chemo.(if you can imagine that) She is nearing her deathbed now, but she has lived to see a ripe-old age.

January 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kennel karl

my dog pooped in my shoe.

January 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RUFFNUTT

take that dog to re-pet.

January 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kkin

david sucks

January 8, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RUFFNUTT

maybe vick can help him out..

January 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

Vick is a convicted dog-molester and should not be cheered more than we cheer for convicted child-molesters. He wasn't just guilty of having dogs fight for entertainment ya know.

January 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NOLA Saints

My 14 week old English Bulldog. I went to 3 shelters in my area and all of their dogs looked sick. I agree with another poster who said "don't tell me where t get my animals". Just because you pay for a dog doesn't mean your a bad person. Afterall, what would have happened to this pup of I had not adopted her?

January 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NOLA Saints

Oops, sorry for all of the grammatical errors on previous post. 🙂

January 8, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Goodnewsforallyoursickanimals

a defeated america of sick and sicker animals? Defeated worldwide...a defeated sick animal military...sick animal n.r.a...sick animal mothers...sick animals defeated easily as is your hatred of islam...banned animals worldwide? Soon enough. lol

January 8, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dumb but not dumbest

My grandmother used to raise boston terriors i have pics of my late father playing with these dogs when he passed I got a boston and named him willie I've had him 4 years and I love him he is my buddy for life

January 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |