Oil in Trans Alaska pipeline slows to trickle
January 9th, 2011

Oil in Trans Alaska pipeline slows to trickle

Only a fraction of the oil that normally courses through the Trans Alaska pipeline was flowing early Sunday after operators discovered a leak near Prudhoe Bay, a company spokeswoman said.

Crews making a routine inspection "found oil in the basement of a booster pump building" around 9 a.m. Saturday, according to Aleyeska Pipeline Service. Company spokeswoman Michelle Egan, who said flow has been reduced by 95%.

On a typical day, 642,261 barrels of oil would pass through the pipeline.

"Crews are currently onsite to assess the situation and isolate the source of the leak," a company statement said..

FULL STORY

Filed under: Alaska • U.S.
  1. jcinnd

Your abolutely right AZ and the Feds should start enforcing our imigration laws to the letter. NO EXCEPTIONS

January 9, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. slupdawg

Must be one huge basement considering the volume/day and the fact it's only flowing 5% of nominal?

January 9, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. jeff

Wind, solar, nuclear, and basic conservation. What most people fail to realize is that even if we decide – stupidly – to burn every last bit of fossil fuel resources, we'll be dead before we can accomplish that task of herculean idiocy. The main culprits will be CO2 levels in the 700ppm range which is incompatible with human life, and the massive runaway greenhouse conditions that are incompatible with almost all life (think the planet Venus).

Wind, solar, nuclear, and basic conservation, if deployed on the same scale as our fossil fuel infrastructure, would not only be virtually infinitely sustainable and without dependence on "foreign" sources, it would be significantly less expensive to the public.

It's not eco-fuzziness, it's practical, hard-headed economics. Get over it.

January 9, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Jedi Jah

Amen to that!

January 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. fiskenmann

A quote from CNN's number one fan!!!

Finkelstein

He who posts on CNN walls
    rolls his s*** in little balls
    he who reads those words of wit
    eats those little balls of s***

January 9, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Americans

Americans stand up to be free from corporate agendas such as OPEC's iron fist to make Americans and the rest of the world dependent on oil. This will surely now spike another increase in oil prices – when it is something that has no excuse.

The Gulf now Alaska? How much more are we going to take?

January 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ThomasD

@ Phil. I hear ya. Or, should I say, still hear ya. Iran will be a tougher nut for the allied forces to crack, but they will. They'll have to if 'Chinamart', as you call it, wishes to continue its degree of exported goods at the cost we enjoy.

January 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sherri W.W.#1~ ILLinois

@Phillip~Sorry,I have been very upset,as I know many others are .since this all happened in AZ.yesterday. I was almost afraid to look at news this morning,for fear Ms.Giffords or others were worse.Then I see where 2 police officers were shot,along with others,in Maryland early today.While I am not totally against guns,i do believe that anyone who buys one should have to go thru a class of training first~maybe in a class like that,an instructor would.have picked up on the instability of this guy in AZ.an made sure he was refused the gun.The other thing,I am always worried and mindful about our oil drilling,especially in Alaska.I give as much $ as I can to help the environmental folks to protect our precious land and our precious animals from harm while still doing a reasonable amount of drilling.And I firmly believe we have to move forward with wind and solar power~where we live,wind power is already very big and growing~and these 2 things grow lots of jobs too.They are the "new"manufacturing in this country.Our area also is big on Ethanol production,which employs a lot of people~plus now they hv found,and are using, by~product[not harmful]from the ethanol .to put on our roads for ice contol.Its cheap and effecctive.We have to move on to these things or this nation cannot survive for us or our children.I am pretty sure none of us want China to be the top superpower in the world.That,and hundreds of thousands of jobs,is also why we must have high~speed rail.My son is always amazed at officials who dont want the high~spd rail money for their states~he says in Europe you buy 1 pass that allows you to travel all over cheaply and quickly.

January 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ConcernedNetizen

That pipe always leaks, this isn't news... its an illogical attempt to pump up gas prices even further tomorow.

January 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dumb but not dumbest

Please don't talk about sherries god obama she gets upset I've seen it first hand obama is the king. Good job obama good job

January 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. peta

Maybe we could use something to hold the oil while they fix it something like sherri. Can you sit on the pipe

January 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SolarMcJolar

I also prefer Wind and solar... but to the people who say "hunger and cold" and such in return saying it won't work. I have another idea.. what about intergalactic power. Send rockets with huge batteries to hugeeeeee solar panels in outer space that get 24/7 sun rays (and better power since they are closer than earth and NASA grade panels haha)

Then just send the cheap rockets to harvest the power (2 or more rockets at a time to replace and charge onto the space solar panels 24/7). I'm sure the scientists and such can work on something like this. Just a cool idea that should work ... shrug.

January 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lol

@ peta why don't you put ur mouth over the hole obama is the man

January 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. schoolsub

There are so many illiterate, ignorant, and otherwise stupid dolts out there that must believe that we should go back to the stone age. We could go around and gather dry dung and burn it for heat and cooking. Don't they realize that we need energy, whether it be oil, coal, wind, nuclear fission, or some other form? I, for one, don't want to go live in a cave and gather berries.

January 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dumb but not dumbest

@ phil I agree with you 10 percent the other 90 percent I just don't understand. See my name hguhuhuhu

January 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Richard Mccarthy

When are you oil companys going too learn that pipes rust and need replacement! !! That Pipeline is at least 40yrs old
    and ha not shut doun for pipe replacement since ever! !!!! I guess You are justified in sittings back and which what happens to the environment !!!!!!!

January 9, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |