Suspect in federal custody after Tucson shooting
January 9th, 2011

Suspect in federal custody after Tucson shooting

A gunman intended to assassinate a U.S. representative when he opened fire outside an Arizona supermarket Saturday, killing six and wounding 12 including the congresswoman, the local sheriff said hours after the shooting.

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was in critical condition and unconscious late Saturday after surgery for a single gunshot wound to the head, a hospital spokeswoman said. The dead included a federal judge and a 9-year-old girl, authorities said.

One suspect was in custody immediately after the shooting in Tucson, Arizona. Investigators were "actively in pursuit" of a second man whom they believed may be involved in the attempted assassination, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said Saturday night.

Two people tackled the suspected shooter, stopping a spray of bullets from what federal and state law enforcement sources described as a 9mm Glock outfitted with a 30-round magazine. Dupnik declined to name the 22-year-old suspect. An Arizona law enforcement source and a federal law enforcement source, meanwhile, identified the suspect as Jared Lee Loughner. The suspect, who was being held by local authorities, was later taken into custody by the FBI, said Deputy Jason Ogan, Pima County Sheriff's Department spokesman.

Dupnik said investigators are not convinced that the suspect came to the supermarket alone. He said investigators were looking for a man seen near the suspect. Authorities did not know whether the person they sought actually had any connection with Loughner, a law enforcement source told CNN. Authorities have a piece of evidence that indicates this second individual was in close proximity to the store, the source said, but declined
to elaborate.

Investigators were trying to interview witnesses to determine if there was a connection between the two men, the source said. That source also said authorities were seeking search warrants for a residence and for a vehicle in connection with the suspect in custody.

The attack happened about 10 minutes after the start of a previously scheduled constituent meeting outside a Safeway grocery store. Although U.S. Capitol Police said there was no evidence of a broader threat involving federal officials, the agency said in a statement it had advised other members of Congress to take "reasonable and prudent precautions
regarding their personal safety and security."

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Gabrielle Giffords • U.S.
  1. Tragedy

I just hope this mentally disturbed individual get the punishment he fully deserve....

January 9, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. harv

A tea party member maybe?

January 9, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

As much hate as these people have in them harv,I wouldn't be a bit surprised. All right-wing groups are full of hate.

January 9, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim

"Lock and load," huh, Sara? Happy, now?

January 9, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Vince

Jim, thats like blaming the Clinton's for 9-11, they had a chance to get Bin Laden a few years prior to 9-11 and didn't. This guy made his own decision for whatever reason, HE IS THE PROBLEM, not Sara Palin or the Tea Party. PEOPLE make CHOICES, they don't have a DNC or RNC or Tea Party meeting to figure out who is going to go out and commit a hanious crime on other human beings. When gang wars on city streets happen and innocent people get killed do you blame that on political views? Just like this, another tragic event caused by another loonatic who has no value for human life or concious!

January 9, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Marlene West

Why..............We must take a hard look at what is really going on in our country. When President Obama took office, everything started. The Republicans hate him, they can't see thru his color. They have disagreed with everthing that has been proposed. I am a registered Democrate, but vote Independently. (I don't like the Health Care Bill) My premiums are way up. But talk must be the answer not violence. Don't stir people up, because what can happen did happen. We are a good country. My prayers are with al victims and their families. This will continue to happen until we get back on the right foot. WE MUST BE ABLE TO AGREE TO DISAGREE. WE ARE ALMOST IN A RACE WA

January 9, 2011 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Marlene West, U are WRONG! I'm a Republican and I voted for Mr. Obama and so did my wife. There you go again. Spewing UNTRUTH ! Gosh, I'm so sick of ppl who STEREOTYPE! THIS ISNT ABOUT DEM OR REP, ITS ABOUT AN INSANE, F.U. INDIVIDUAL!!!!! Get it thru your THICK SKULL!!!

January 9, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Jane

Jim you nailed it. Marlene is upset because her health care premiums are up. Boo hoo. I work but I'm not offered employer subsidized health care so I can't afford it. Found out I have heart disease. Can't afford the medicine. As I said I work, don't sponge off welfare. Any by the way this dude is just a nut job people- plain and simple.

January 9, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marlene West

WE ARE ALMOST IN A RACE WAR, ESPECIALLY IN ARIZONIA. WHAT ARE OTHER COUNTRIES SAYING ABOUT US.
    WAKE UP AMERICA, WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS

January 9, 2011 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. tomcat

Hmm I heard a quote today "Don't stir people up". Well Marlene you have just started what you didn't (or did you?) want to do by throwing the race card.

January 9, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jim

You ppl who are going on nothing but hearsay....STFU till we get some facts. Is your agenda and political ideology all that matters??? You are preaching hate at ppl you have accused of preaching hate. You are no different. This is a nutcase, but U are willing to blame it all on ppl who you dissagree with. Jezzzz.

January 9, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

PS. just to be clear...When I say you ppl, I ment those crying the political or race card.

January 9, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jim

Sara Palin sure knows how to put the cross-hairs on a bull-eye, dosen't she? I wonder if Sara, being the momma grizzly that she is, feels bad about the little girl who got nailed in the process? But, Sara always tells us, "Don't retreat! Reload!" Guess that 9 yr old was just collateral damage...

January 9, 2011 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Sadly enough Jim,you're quite right. All right-wing politicians are like that,whether they're a Republican,"blue-dog" Democrat or a hateful Tea Partier!

January 9, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim Davis

I guess U believe video games can make kids kill too, no? By falsley accusing ppl who had nothing to do with this terrible crime, you are are stoking the flames of hate YOURSELF. U R exaserbating the tension and adding to the PROBLEM U ACCUSE OTHER OF CAUSING. "In seeking to become, wise, they became fools."

January 9, 2011 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

Post #9, Jim, How about the half-wit, half-term Gov. Annie Oakley? Ain't she a beaute? She's a republican...

January 9, 2011 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. John in Indy

Umm, by all accounts he is a left wing loonie. Wonder how Palin and the rest of talk media influenced him... Unless you watch MsNbc. Lots of hate rhetoric on that network.

January 9, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jim

Tough having to admit that the incendiary language that we've all heard, coming from the T-Party, delivered in the last two election cycles, created all this. Isn't it? Well, it did, and we were warned. With the denial I'm reading, here, my guess is that Sara is sleeping well.

January 9, 2011 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Teeny

I've been following the story only seconds after events occurred. The media, so badly, wanted this mass shooter to be of someone of "terrorist" descent or some mad AZ illegal immigrant. Always and always, another white, disturbed male. Don't get offended, I'm only stating facts. It simply angers me, the ignorance of what this country has become.

January 9, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. zoey

Comment to Jim...
    I agree with you.........stop all of this incendiary language. Intelligent people understand what is happening.
    The media is sensationalizing a very unfortunate set of events.

January 9, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. COL. BAT GUANO

Loughner is a robot. Not white or male.

January 9, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |