Press secretary: Threat made against Illinois U.S. representative
An e-mail threat was reportedly made against U.S. Rep. Danny Davis, seen in this file photo.
January 10th, 2011

Press secretary: Threat made against Illinois U.S. representative

A staff member for Rep. Danny Davis, D-Illinois, received an e-mail over the weekend threatening the eight-term Democrat, Davis spokesman Ira Cohen said Monday.

Davis' office has filed a report with Capitol Hill police, Cohen noted. He would not say, however, if Davis had stepped up his personal security.

The threat came in the wake of Saturday's massacre in Tucson, Arizona, in which Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona, was allegedly targeted for assassination. Six people were killed - including a federal judge - and 14 were wounded in the shooting. Giffords remains in critical condition.

Davis has public events scheduled Monday in Illinois which he plans to attend, Cohen noted.

The congressman recently withdrew from Chicago's mayoral race.

Post by:
Filed under: Illinois • Politics
  1. Daniel

As long as life in America is life in America,this should not surprise anyone. Judging by the hateful posts by the warmongers and the fact that there are so many of them,anything can happen. Ignorance and fanaticism is in full flower these days across the country!!!

January 10, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Very well put,Daniel. You nailed it.

January 11, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

People of the United States of America.
    And now it begins,every elected Representative and the Grandmother in the Democratic Party is going to claim to recieve Death Threats.The Secert Service and FBI are going to be extra busy.

January 10, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Lan

Frank, it's ignorant and heartless idiots like you, that make light of the hate in this country. I hope you or your family never suffer the fate of the those innocent people killed in Tucson last Saturday. We are no better than the people in Afghanistan when we behave like this. I hope you're proud of your twisted beliefs you moron.

January 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

@Frank – you've got to be kidding. I loathe people like you.

January 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. pw

The ignorant teabaggers are at it again.

January 10, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. boomer

People are tired of our great nation being destroyed by liberals.

January 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreddieBoy

So, the answer is violence?
      Thanks for confirming our beliefs.

January 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

our country was destroyed between Clinton and Obama – think Bush/Cheney era.

January 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • boomer

@Freddie...if that's what it takes...so be it. Better than losing out great nation.

January 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

What do you mean by "liberals"? It's the Conservative fanatics who are running things in Washington at the behest of the MIC(military-industrial=complex) and they're draining our treasury with these two useless wars and unnecessary military spending.

January 10, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • reACTIONary

I reported Boomer for abuse because of his affirmation of violence. This is what I would do if he made a racist comment. I think we should start reporting violent remarks just like racist remarks. It has to stop.

January 10, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the troll

Lmao

January 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pw

It's probably the stupid tea party.

January 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bambam

Maybe he shouldn't attend the events I wouldn't go if it were me

January 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. oh well

He should have stayed in the race

January 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PartisanSheep

Let's not just blame the crazies who are making these threats. The news media constantly has been trying to divide us with hyped up sensationalism and partisan spin. Our jobs have been shipped overseas and people are not content with unemployment or food stamps. Our politicians have a very low approval rating in both parties, yet they are surprised when they get death threats. Anything you watch on tv is depraved garbage. It's only a matter of time before someone snaps. I'd personally like to see DC start taking their jobs seriously and start working together. Most people just want to achieve the American dream. Congress is safer when the people prosper

January 10, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

A result of Gov Palin's admonition: "Don't retreat! Reload!" Sara Palin, and the teabaggers have yet to apologize for the incendiary language and images that have gotten us to this point. Six dead, and how many in critical conditon. How many at the sceen, and across the nation, terrorized. They imagine, somehow, that God is on their side, and expect God to answer their prayers. And, they tell me it is necessary to fight a war on terror, in which the enemy is doing just as they do... Who's the next target, Sara?

January 10, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Jim,Jim.Jim,

You obviously did not read the Newspaper today.It turns out your Tea Party Assassin is really a "Big Liberal Pot Head" assasin who has been targeting Ms.Gifford since 2007.Thats way before the Tea Party exsisted.

January 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Sorry Jim,I didn't post the above. Somebody's trying to make a jerk out me! Of course I agree with you about these hateful,foul speaking,anti-intellectual Tea Partiers.

January 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Frank

Lan,

I am a Vietnam Vet with a Purple Heart from having a Vietcong slice open my right arm with a bayonet on the end of an AK-47 when he ran out of ammo and I was lucky to be able to dispatch him with my sidearm.I am not making lite of any Assasination Threats.What I am saying is Liberals will take advantage of what happened because that is the nature of the Beast.

January 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Sorry folks,I didn't post the above. I wouldn't hurt a fly.

January 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jenny

The liberal Media has divided America.They hate everyone who doesn't aprove theirs lies. Only onother 9/11 attack will bring Americans together. Wake up America.We don't have to hate each otherThe government are fighting for theirs own power not for us. They wants to control our lives and they try to wash our brain.

January 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaz

You are truly deluded and ignorant to blame the "liberal media" for dividing this country. Whether you like what they say or not, the media you claim as liberal has called it down the middle better than your friends at faux news. The only thing more striking than your paranoia is your lack of any sense of objectivity.

January 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim

Was it a liberal who targeted the 8th dist in . Tuscon with the crosshairs of a weapon, Frank? Is the same threat in Ill. not just Sara reloading? Is it all just a big coincidence, Frank? Or, is what we are seeing actually sedition, Frank?

January 10, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

@Lan: I'd listen to Frank if I were you, he doesn't fu*k around. I've been following his posts since December, and Lan pal, I know what I'm telling you.

January 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

Don't worry Frank, some people like anonymous don't have the guts to be what they want to be. Bunch of little mamas with hair on their t*ts. You need a guy like Frank to point the finger. So he's the bad guy! Ok, make room for the bad guy.

January 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |